M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone getting grease/oil on the left side of the rear wheel? I think I have a driveshaft seal going bad.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Could be, but it's more likely one of your gear plugs is not quite tight.
After changing my gear oil, I was very cautious not to over tighten those plugs, turns out I under tightened them, and they leaked a little. Not even enough to affect the level, but enough to get what looked like grease on the back left side of the rim. I tightened them up a little bit more, and problem went away.
Could be that.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I always have a little bit on the rear rim after a long ride. Not enough to concern me - yet. I'm keeping an eye on it and if it gets any worse I'll take it apart and see what's going on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Same problem here Yesterday went for a ride early in the morning after I noticed the same thing. Checked my gear oil but it was up to the lip so it wasn,t comming from there, give the drain plug an extra tug to make sure it was tight wiped off the rim will check it again after the next ride I'm comming up to my first service of 1000 km. :( :dontknow: :read:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 1300 miles on my bike. I had the 600 mile service done at 950 miles (because the oil was chaged at 400 miles because it was overfilled) and the dealer changed the rear final drive oil and I am betting the drain plug is loose because there is build up around the plug. So, I am going to try to tighten it carefully and see what happens. If it's loose, I am going to call the dealer and raise hell. These frekin dealers have no clue what the hell theyr'e doing half the time. From now on I will do my own servicing.
Thanks for the input guys!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts