M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a zumo 550..and cant find a good mount system.does anyone have same gps or any ideas..

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i'm a bit confused by your post. being a zumo 550, isn't that gps unit specifically made for motorcycles? and i thought it would have come with a motorcycle-specific mount? :dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
i'm a bit confused by your post. being a zumo 550, isn't that gps unit specifically made for motorcycles? and i thought it would have come with a motorcycle-specific mount? :dontknow:
That was my thinking 34 minutes before you Windy. :p I guess I am just used to seeing the agree guy from you. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I just got the 660 and it did come with a Ram Mount system but I don't like how far it puts it off the handlebars so I ended up using the one that Rynosback referenced below that I already had for my Nuvi and it works great and keeps the unit snug to the handlebars.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Here was my plan when I had a Zumo mounted on my Ultra Classic.

I also hated the ram mount they give you because it stands so far off the bar.

Well, I noticed that the bottom ram plate mounted to the bar with a U bolt.

So, I figured, why not take a U bolt and attach it to a plastic plate, the same size as the rear of the Zumo cradle and attach the cradle to that plate through the mounting holes intended for the top of the ram mount.

That is what I did and it worked out great. The Zumo sat right on the bar and never moved.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mount

Here was my plan when I had a Zumo mounted on my Ultra Classic.

I also hated the ram mount they give you because it stands so far off the bar.

Well, I noticed that the bottom ram plate mounted to the bar with a U bolt.

So, I figured, why not take a U bolt and attach it to a plastic plate, the same size as the rear of the Zumo cradle and attach the cradle to that plate through the mounting holes intended for the top of the ram mount.

That is what I did and it worked out great. The Zumo sat right on the bar and never moved.
thats awesome just what im lookin for.can you send me a pic.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
thats awesome just what im lookin for.can you send me a pic.
Not really, as I do not have that bike anymore.

I can talk you through it if you need me to.

Let me know via PM and I can call you.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
here is the best & cheapest way.
You can find both for under $60

:bigthumbsup: this is function over fashion :bigthumbsup:

ZUMO MOUNT
this mounts to your factory cradle

and add this, it replaces one of your riser cap bolts.

1"ball

like this

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
here is the best & cheapest way.
You can find both for under $60
I'll disagree on 'best' and on 'cheapest'.

My way cost me about $.45 at a hardware store, held it closer to the bar and I would say more firmly that a ram mount.

JMHO

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pic of zumo 550 cradle

Do you have a pic of the back of your zumo 550 cradle ???
Here is an online pic of the cradle ... I will have to wait til later tonight to get an actual pic of the back and real cradle

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
man wasnt there a write up on a DIY a while back on this?? i think one can be man for less than $5 stuff from Home Depot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts