M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told I can use a cell phone charger cord with a mini usb and an inline fuze, is this correct? If so then do I use the same fuze a car lighter uses? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Amazon makes one GPS specific and is a easy wire into the bike. Allows you to use and charge the GPS while riding with no dimming of the screen. Let me know if you have any more questions. I have a Garmin 680 on my bike.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,150 Posts
I mounted a 12 volt weatherproof outlet on top of my triple tree and use the regular 12 volt car charger with my GPS. I got another charger off ebay that has a shorter coiled cord than the Garmin came with.

Be careful mixing chargers, get one specific for the unit. They aren't all the same voltage.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I mounted a 12 volt weatherproof outlet on top of my triple tree and use the regular 12 volt car charger with my GPS. I got another charger off ebay that has a shorter coiled cord than the Garmin came with.

Be careful mixing chargers, get one specific for the unit. They aren't all the same voltage.
I left my 12 volt outlet under my seat and I just run the auto cord that came with mine from under my seat up my tank to the gps mounted on my handlebars when batter starts getting low or it needs a recharge.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have the Garmin 765T

And it does have a mini usb plug that can be used to charge it. But when I use that plug on the bike with a Cigarrette lighter charger thingy insteadof the proprietary plug that is in the back of the 17mm ball cradle, the Garmin thinks it's plugged into a computer for map updates and synchronizing... it's kinda hit & mis for it to be charging or on a source of power OTHER than a USB port... so, that's something you may want to think about...

Thing is, the proprietary cable that plugs into the cigarrette lighter that doesn't have the FM receiver for traffic isn't coiled... it's like an extension cord (actually heftier) so I'll have to creatively coil it behind the unit or something...

·
Registered
723 Posts
put my order in last night for the gilson wire for my garmin nuvi 550. hope to be installed sometime next week or 2. I have a few poker runs coming up and this will be a big help instead of having the battery die half way through again:cus:

·
Registered
851 Posts

+1 :bigthumbsup:

Having a 12 volt cigarette lighter in the triple tree makes it seamless to charge cell phone, GPS, or iPod. I wasn't going to run multiple wires for all of the toys I'm packing on long rides.

Agree that you need to be careful about using the manufacturer-spec voltage. My Blackberry charges at a different voltage from my TomTom GPS, so I do need to pack different 12V cords.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
+1 :bigthumbsup:

Having a 12 volt cigarette lighter in the triple tree makes it seamless to charge cell phone, GPS, or iPod. I wasn't going to run multiple wires for all of the toys I'm packing on long rides.

Agree that you need to be careful about using the manufacturer-spec voltage. My Blackberry charges at a different voltage from my TomTom GPS, so I do need to pack different 12V cords.
I find the voltage difference negligible and the amps are close enough not to matter .( for what I have anyway ).. I use my cell phone car charger ( same one I used on the Razer , the crackberry Q and the pearl as well as my HTC diamond ) and in a pinch I use that connection to charge my MP3 player and my Garmin 785T GPS. As long as the terminal style is the same you should be close , careful when you use adapters as there is no voltage regulation in them and you could damage a device with too much juice.

A fuzed 12V " cigarette lighter " receptacle under the seat ( dry area ) would be a good way to go and then you can use the charger that came with the unit just like Allytay said .... I would just put it under the seat or some place where it won't get wet while riding in the rain or during a wash while trying to blast all the bugs off the front of it .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts