M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Lamont has his mounted GPS and its nice but I am looking for a handheld and was curious to anyones input who may have had or had access to different models to know who's works the best and is the most user friendly. I want a hand held so I can transfer from bike to boat to truck or whatever I decide to do that day ;)

This is the one I am thinking of picking up today. It has waas and is 12 channel, with color screen.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Garmin-eTrex-legend-Cx.asp

Khrome

·
Registered
139 Posts
Unless you have a tiny boat, it's not worth it. The screen size is too small to be seen when you're driving a boat. You want something in the Garmin 276-478 size, at least. But the issue with those is their physical size for the motorcycle if you want to keep it in your pocket.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I have an eTrex. The maps are so small they are very hard to use. What I love about the eTrex is the Compass mode. Many times when I'm out exploring new roads, I know what direction I want to go but don't know the roads. The eTrex has a great compass. I just follow it, and when I'm not going the right directions, I just take the first road that turns the way I need to go. Works great.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maps are so small eh? you mean to view while riding or period? I have two different watches that were $300 bucks each that have a compass... Was'nt needing it if thats all its good for :(

thanks for the info

khrome

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i don't need the compass feature is what i was saying... i wanted a gps with mapping capability... but someone else said the model i was looking at was hard to view the maps on the small screen :mad:

don't want to drop $300 on a pos ::)

khrome

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I have a 5 year old monochromatic emap that I am about to mount. I wont be able to read the map while riding, and dont really want to.
SO.. I probably should have skipped the mounts and put it in a tank bag.

I will use it to get un-lost if that happens, but mostly it is to document where I have been and set a marker for places I want to return to.

Sledzep

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chadrob30 said:
I have the Magellan eXplorist 500...works fine for everything I need it for, mapping, geocaching, etc...it has USB capabilities to download maps to an SD card, or you can charge the battery via USB, pretty decent sized display for the unit size, and it zooms in and out for more or less details....

http://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=355&prodID=1250
That one looks pretty nice !

khrome

·
Registered
76 Posts
I own a nuvi 350 (a bit price, but wort every penny) that I purchase after Katrina took 80% of south Louisiana's street signs. I haven't spent any time finding a way to attache it, but I got a feeling it would work great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts