M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this handheld garmin unit for a couple years now and when I got my 109, I ordered a handlebar bracket from Garmin. It just came in today. The GPS unit is a Garmin eTrex Legend C. I use it for city, highway and waterway navigation. You can purchase separate programs to set up trips and waypoints on your computer and then transfer it over to the unit via USB cable. Sweet investment.Â

Check it out:

Here's a picture of just the bracket. Very small and unobtrusive for when I'm not using the GPS:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm sure the idea had good intentions, but that is the last thing I would want to do is try and look at that little screen while riding. It's bad enough to take your eyes off the road to see the speedo, I can't imagine how long that thing will divert your attention from the road. Be carefull

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a new Sony Nav-U ($599) Unit that I put into my Tank Bag which has a clear cover up front I suppose for maps and etc!

I do have a hard time looking it at it while riding too but Sony doesn't have a bracket as far as I know! So I am forced mostly to just glance at it and keep looking how far ahead for turns but to make any other adjustments I do pull over and do it that way.

The cool thing is that it has a route option for motorcycles so it won't make you take highways and you can cruise this way, also has very clear options to show you how far ahead turns are, so if you are not really on the highway you can always glance at it at every sign that you get. Since it's touch screen it's easy to operate over the clear screen that's on my Tank Bag.

·
Registered
108 Posts
cdaniel76 said:
I've had this handheld garmin unit for a couple years now and when I got my 109, I ordered a handlebar bracket from Garmin. It just came in today. The GPS unit is a Garmin eTrex Legend C. I use it for city, highway and waterway navigation. You can purchase separate programs to set up trips and waypoints on your computer and then transfer it over to the unit via USB cable. Sweet investment.

Check it out:

Here's a picture of just the bracket. Very small and unobtrusive for when I'm not using the GPS:

Ya i have the same garmin but with out the c but i dont have the handlebar bracket,i may just have to get one of them,i use it in the winter on our snowmobile and plug it into the 12 volt plug,works great,even though it is hard to view while traveling,all the info is at hand when you stop,plus mine has max speed,that is there until you reset it,cool.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mnmsnowbeast said:
Ya i have the same garmin but with out the c but i dont have the handlebar bracket,i may just have to get one of them,i use it in the winter on our snowmobile and plug it into the 12 volt plug,works great,even though it is hard to view while traveling,all the info is at hand when you stop,plus mine has max speed,that is there until you reset it,cool.
That's basically what I'm going to be using it for. Top speed and to mark waypoints of different places where I go and will go with all my other riding friends.

·
Registered
94 Posts
cdaniel76 I have the same GPS 8) is that the 1" or 25-32mm bracket? I would like to mount it in the middle of the bar but i think it is 1.25" in the middle. and does it hit the tank turning left? Wanted.. I like the big screen 8)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one I got is actually the 1" bracket. I didn't see any other ones listed on Garmin's site. It fits on the bar, but only where I put it since the bar tapers down to 1 1/4" there.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=207&Language=4

Here's one that is a LOT easier to use while riding, comes with the bike bar bracket and even has a different color scheme for night riding so it doesn't mess with your vision.

Also, you can get a suction cup base to use it in your car as well... Its pricey as all heck but its touch screen and seems to work well on the bikes I've seen them on. You can even get it up high enough that you don't have to take your eyes off the road completely.

Another nice feature of the TomTom is that it has the locations of almost every gas station out there in its memory so when you get low you just touch the screen 2x and it will automatically divert you to the nearest gas station (not a bad feature IMO).

There my 2 coppers, enjoy 8)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I totally agree... the TomTom Rider is the bomb. Probably what I'd buy if I were getting one today.

The day/night color schemes and the gas station database is nothing new -- Garmin and Magellan have had that for years. But the TFT reflective screen and having all the maps built in is a good deal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The TomTom also links to your cell phone via bluetooth for making easy tough screen calls while riding, has a 20GB hard drive for storing music and photos.  Very cool to have a built in mp3 player, and I believe it is capable of videos. Though I am not into watching TV while driving, I do have a flip out TV in all my vehicles, it sure makes for a good time while the misses is taking for ever in a store shopping.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a Garmin C330 I got last year that is really nice for my car. Gonna see if I can mount it on this 109. Will post pics if successful.

Nice job guys!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow... $900 for that TomTom... And it's a pretty big box just sitting up there on your handlebars. I'd prefer the smaller, less intrusive looks of the handheld units and it gets the job done for me just fine.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you don't travel very far (and thus don't need the big maps) the handhelds will suffice, and they are a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I do a lot of travel for my job (and I do mean a LOT) and so having a GPS when I go somewhere new is quite a useful thing for me. The TomTom is a big sucker by comparison to some, heck you can even get a Moto Razor with a GPS built in now. But the simple fact of the TomTom Rider is this, its made for motorcycles, that means that (hopefully) the features you want (such as auto-redirection to a gas station and the like) should be set up for as little interdiction on the users part as possible. And personally I think the size is actually quite a good thing, when you have to refocus on one of those tiny little displays that catches huge reflections and isn't backlit all that well on a hand held thats at arms length, it completely breaks your focus from your driving and that is dangerous period! Being a cyclist (both pedal type and motor type) I know that you have to watch everyone, cause even people that watch out for you don't always see you. So personally I'll drop the 900 bones on a TomTom simply because I think for use on a motorcycle its got everything else beat that I've seen hands down.

Having said all that I do expect a huge discout from TomTom now 8) hehe :p

Addition: Also forgot to mention that part of the reason the Rider version of the TomTom costs a lot more is that it has a BlueTooth headset for your helmet so it can chat with you as it gives directions, and that is most certainly something that the hand helds don't come with.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another route is the Garmin i3. Bought mine a few months ago and love it. I suction cup it to the right side of the speed face and ran power up from under the seat. My power line tucks neatly under my tank protector and the entire unit removes in 5 seconds. Just flip the lever on the suction cup and unplug the power cord.

·
Registered
817 Posts
hayabusa575 said:
Another route is the Garmin i3. Bought mine a few months ago and love it. I suction cup it to the right side of the speed face and ran power up from under the seat. My power line tucks neatly under my tank protector and the entire unit removes in 5 seconds. Just flip the lever on the suction cup and unplug the power cord.Â
The suction cup mounts are for car windshields only. There is a specific warning against using them on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What happened to the male gene that makes us ride until we either run out of gas or eventually find what we are looking for? Do you really need to know where you are going on this machine????? :joke:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts