M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I use my Droid X as my GPS and since it is bluetoothed to my helmet, I also like to have it handy for controlling music and phone calls.

So I have the GPS mounting base and from there it is pretty much like any standard GPS mount: ball on an arm attached to a suction cup.

I have been looking for handlebar mounts, but in addition no not liking how far they stood off of the bars, my bars are 1.5" and most mounts only to to 1.25"

So, an idea hit me and I went to the garage.

I got a hose clamp that fit around my bars and clipped out one of the 'teeth'. The hole that created let me run a small bolt through there:

I cut the suction cup off the arm, leaving just the arm with the ball on the end. I drilled a hole through the arm for the bolt and mounted the arm to the hose clamp:

I wrapped rubber (I had a nice strip from a bicycle inter tube repair kit) around the bar where the hose clamp would go, mostly to protect the chrome but in part to give the clamp traction against rotation.

I tightened the hose clap over the rubber and clipped the GPS mount in place:

I do not have a picture of the phone in the GPS mount as the phone is also playing the roll of camera.

I found that the mount, intended for a car, did not have enough friction between the ball and the socket to deal with drag at highway speeds, so I took some rough sandpaper and scuffed up both. That seems to have fixed that up and it holds in place very firmly but you can still move it to adjust angles.

I can even tilt it in so the camera lens clear the bars and has a clear view of the road in front of me, which will be cool as the Droid X shoots HD video.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
34 views and no comments?

I thought it was a good idea:dontknow:

·
Registered
643 Posts
i liked the spot you had it mounted the other week ,but, this mounting set-up definitely lends itself to keep the phone/GPS a lil better protected from any flying stones and such and make it more accessible with your left hand

i like it

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mounted with a longer screw to the brake reservior worked, but it did make accessing it with my left hand a be-atch and it caught caught quite a bit of road debris.

It also just felt less secure mounted with one thin screw.

The clamp it is on now could move to either side and I may play with moving it to the left side eventually.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I may try something similar for my htc evo

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
I've got a nice GPS mount that I made from an unused windshield handlebar clamp, but what you have would work nicely for something to mount my video camera on. It takes the standard 1/4 x 20 thread.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is an interesting thought.

Anything that has the threads for tripod mounting would work well on this type of rig.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
quick and easy, with parts in the garage, I like it - I like it P.S. rap mount with rubber or something so it doe'st mark up the handlebars8)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
A hose clamp?? is it visible, if so, it wouldn't work for me. I went a got a "Customchrome" frame clamp for 1 1/4" put a ball stud thru it and mounted the GP. works beautiful and looks great, nice chrome and it cost a total of $11.00

just my thoughts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quick and easy, with parts in the garage, I like it - I like it P.S. rap mount with rubber or something so it doe'st mark up the handlebars8)
I think you may have skipped one line in the original post::dontknow:

I wrapped rubber (I had a nice strip from a bicycle inter tube repair kit) around the bar where the hose clamp would go, mostly to protect the chrome but in part to give the clamp traction against rotation.
Not to Jack the thread, but wouldn't it be easier to just drill a hole on the handle bar and screw the gps mount on?

again just my .02 cents
If that works for you, go for it.

First, I do not think drilling a hole in the bar would be easier than screwing down a hose clamp.:dontknow:

Second, no freakin way I am drilling a hole in my bars, to leave an ugly hole when the GPS is not mounted, to expose the copper base layer to rusting and starting my chrome to flaking off, to lock myself into one location and position.

But that is just me:dontknow:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you sure you are a lawyer ? ? ?

Most lawyers I work with cant do jack chit apart from working in office/court and half of them cant even manage that at an acceptable level.

You are one interesting and clever dude.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure you are a lawyer ? ? ?

Most lawyers I work with cant do jack chit apart from working in office/court and half of them cant even manage that at an acceptable level.

You are one interesting and clever dude.
I am a lawyer in occupation only.

If I did not need an income, I would drop it like steaming poo.

Plus, the only reason I went to law school to begin with was my x-wife.

I would rather be in the garage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts