M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:evil:I got pulled over today by :cop:NYPD:cop:. The cops walks up to the bike and says "do you know why i pulled you over?" I was gonna answer because i was driving like an [email protected] but I put on my innocient face and said "oh no officer I have no idea" He tells me that not only did i cut off about 7 cars (them included) but I also dont have any license plate. I was surprised to see that it had fell off (looks like the plate vibrated off because there was a little piece left under the screw). He let me go:D.
Any way while i was on the DMV web site i ordered my custom plate
SHADY9. Well I guess that not all bad comes to do harm.
BTW has anybody experienced license plate falling or ripping off due to excessive vibrations?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Nope, once a friend of mine broke my plate nearly in 2, I got a plate frame & tightened down the metal bolts like crazy...loctite & some torque do wonders for that issue.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lucky you. I got pulled over a couple of months ago going 52 in a 25. Needless to say I got a ticket :( But he was nice and knocked it down to 45 so I wouldn't have to go to court for reckless driving. It's so hard to ride these bikes that slow!

·
Registered
70 Posts
cops

man your lucky, i got a ticket for illeagel u turn..... imagine this, there are three intersections, two of the three have a no u-turn signs posted, the one in the middle didnt, which is where i did a u-.turn, on a green left turn light, and recieved a ticket from this ipd ass munch!!!! a week after trying to fight it in court, witch failed at the cost of 275 bucks, im sitting at the same light, and watched a ipd ass munch out of uniform on a red light make a u-turn in front of everybody:edit::edit::cop::edit::edit:
i think the pics say it all!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Funny you posted this. I JUST got my new plates and fastened them on. About a week later I went to install an LED lighted chrome frame and the plate was just barely hanging on with one screw in place!:eek:

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Man you got lucky. I replaced my plate because part of it had torn to one of the bolts holding it on. I knew it was just a matter of time so I took care of it before it failed completely. That is why I inspect my bike often to find things like this and correct them before they become a problem.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Lucky you. I got pulled over a couple of months ago going 52 in a 25. Needless to say I got a ticket :( But he was nice and knocked it down to 45 so I wouldn't have to go to court for reckless driving. It's so hard to ride these bikes that slow!
Feel sorry for you bro; And to think that the only thing you had to do was to tell the Cop that you suffered from intermitent dyxlesia and sometimes cannot read numbers in the correct sequence (25 vs 52 or 52 vs 25):joke:. To take it even further, depending on the amount of your fine you could have just reversed the numbers to prove it to them:dontknow:.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine didn't fall off, but I took it off two days ago while replacing the rear tire and found that it's cracked from the top left hole all the way out to the edge.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
LOL I use to live in Lead S Dak

and my room mate had one of those black 4 speed Harley cafe racers. I use to ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr borrow it every weekend when he would go back to rapid City to see his gal, and i would go racing through the black hills on his bike, and last time i rode it, and he came home Sunday night, he says HEY!!!!!!!!!! what happened to my license plate LOL oops. I had no idea I lost it LOL.

:evil:I got pulled over today by :cop:NYPD:cop:. The cops walks up to the bike and says "do you know why i pulled you over?" I was gonna answer because i was driving like an [email protected] but I put on my innocient face and said "oh no officer I have no idea" He tells me that not only did i cut off about 7 cars (them included) but I also dont have any license plate. I was surprised to see that it had fell off (looks like the plate vibrated off because there was a little piece left under the screw). He let me go:D.
Any way while i was on the DMV web site i ordered my custom plate
SHADY9. Well I guess that not all bad comes to do harm.
BTW has anybody experienced license plate falling or ripping off due to excessive vibrations?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
I've had them crack before, so now I use a full back plate behind the license and bolt it at all four corners.

Now as long as the back plate doesn't crack.....

·
Registered
947 Posts
That's so weird this happened to you. I went on a 300 mile ride last weekend. About 60 miles in we stopped for gas and my brother asked me "where's your license plate". I looked down and what do you know, it was GONE!!!!! Not sure when or where I lost it. Funny thing is, I have the side-mount deal and I was thinking about getting a nicer looking one. That decision just got WAY easier for me!

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
and my room mate had one of those black 4 speed Harley cafe racers. I use to ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr borrow it every weekend when he would go back to rapid City to see his gal, and i would go racing through the black hills on his bike, and last time i rode it, and he came home Sunday night, he says HEY!!!!!!!!!! what happened to my license plate LOL oops. I had no idea I lost it LOL.

XLCR, made in 76 and 77 only. Cool!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I found out my plate was missing wen I just finished a FAST run.. 147MPH GPS. I wonder how far it flew when it did detach itself. LOL

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I've tried using the argument that if I go any slower than 100, I'm afraid the bike will tip over. It doesn't work. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Didn't loose my license plate but did loose most of a plastic frame around it. Was riding with a group and at a refuel stop someone asked me if I knew my plate fell off. When I looked, it was just 3/4 of the frame that was missing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't have any experience with a missing plate but I do have a vibration story to share.

I was taking my motorcycle test 24 years ago and waiting in the line to be inspected before the riding portion. The guy in front of me is next, pulls up to the man with the clipboard and starts going through the exercise. Horn, headlight, brake light, signals etc. Even though his bike is showroom fresh complete with temp tag - he fails. The rattle-rattle and vibration had broken a turn signal bulb. Luckily for him there were other's of his "kind" nearby who all seemed to be very familiar with his problem. Four guys offered him bulbs from their on-board "stock of parts" and in 10 minutes he was back in line.

Should I mention that my 1972 Honda still has it's original bulbs? I broke a signal off on a trail once - it dangled for 20 miles. Later I ground off the paint and welded it back on. Oh, and never had to replace the bulb.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Man you got lucky. I replaced my plate because part of it had torn to one of the bolts holding it on. I knew it was just a matter of time so I took care of it before it failed completely. That is why I inspect my bike often to find things like this and correct them before they become a problem.
:bow: Well look at the big brain on Ryno! :joke:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I've yet to get pulled over on my bike. I'm sure my day is coming however. :cop:

Never had a license plate bracket fall off yet. Seems like you would notice that getting loose or hear it rattle when you go over bumps. I'm shocked he let you go without a ticket. Are you in the Mafia :dontknow:........:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts