M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my new Roadhouse pipes Friday after being backordered for two months. I was hoping that their instructions and fit would have improved from when they came out three years ago.....WRONGO!!

The pipes reuse the stock headers and shields and everything else is replaced. You get 2 midpipes which slip into the stock head pipes and 2 mufflers which slip into the midpipes.

The top mid-pipe and the top muffler had pipes which were IDENTICLE IN DIAMETER. Now I'm not the sharpest tool in the tool shed, but I don't think that is how they were suppossed to be made. I called Seapup, who got a set too, and his were the same way :eek::eek::eek:.

Seven hours later, and with the help of Chad (Lucky06) we got them on.

They do sound and look good but they should have NEVER taken that long to install......how about a little quality control!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a sound clip. They sound MUCH LOUDER than my debaffled stockers. I really do like them but would hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
The work to fit them turned me off on Roadhouse Bobby and I went with V&H's for a similar look and performance that would just bolt right up. They do sound nice :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
:bigthumbsup: They look and sound great Bobby... To bad about the quality control.

Can't wait to hear them in person. :doorag:

Don

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
You must have got the friday afternoon specials.......mine fitted up pretty good, wasnt rocket science stuff to fit them....far from "slip on" though..

what about those clamps!!! shocking!

wait a few months till the baffle material burns away...they get real loud then:bigthumbsup:

then i recommend this stuff,Just wrap it around and it expands with heat.:bigthumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ACOUSTAFIL-P...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cada2e033

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Nice Bobby..... and you just debaffled your stocker... :bigthumbsup: But I do like the look! And Loud pipes save lives! :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
:congrats: Seapup told me that there were very labor intensive to install. How did you get ahold of him? I have been leaving messages for him, thinking that he is on a trip again.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
For sound, those are still some of my favorite pipes. Glad you like them Bobby, they do sound good!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some pics for you guys. The mufflers are definitely bigger and the chrome is of a much higher quality. Because of the larger pipes, the bottom muffler does hang about an inch lower to the ground. We'll see if that becomes a problem for me.

G

·
Bobby.... I have a set on order but do not have a second person for help on install. Would you recommend I use dealer for install (which may be rather expensive) or do you think it's do-able with one pair of hands? What step in particular was difficult during install? Any tips or recommendations for install? I've heard the clamps supplied were insufficient... did you use these or get your own? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bobby.... I have a set on order but do not have a second person for help on install. Would you recommend I use dealer for install (which may be rather expensive) or do you think it's do-able with one pair of hands? What step in particular was difficult during install? Any tips or recommendations for install? I've heard the clamps supplied were insufficient... did you use these or get your own? Thanks.
My install was going great til I ran into the two pipes that were the same diameter that had to go together. That set me back more than anything. I wouldn't say that a second set of hands is absolutely necessary but it did help me line stuff up and help muscle in the two pipes that were made the same diameter.

I used a mixture of the supplied clamps and some others that I had purchased. I thought the ones that they supplied looked kind of strange but were very strong.

Per Seapup's advice a put a bead of this stuff at each pipe connection:

Also, I wouldn't worry about doing the SET relocation stuff. Either pull the wire from the ECU or cut it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finally got my DLP order last week and put mine on yesterday. Same problems, bottom pipe didn't fit at all :edit: . In addition, one of the carriage bolts was crossthreaded out of the box and one of the holes for the slant tips was stripped. It actually came with about one thread so when I gave the tip bolt a little torque...pop and that was over. double-:edit:. I just put a nut on the inside of the top so no real loss there. Still kind of pi$$ed about the overall quality and the instructions.

Giving the throttle a twist after getting everything back together made it all worth while. Love the new sound.

BobbyMac....I like the slant tips turned outward, gives it a different look.

If anyone else is going to put these on I would suggest the following;

Take pictures after you get the stock exhaust off and turn it upside down. It makes it easy to remember what clamps went where on the heat shields.

Rough fit everything together before you get it on the bike. I followed the instructions and was trying to wrestle the bottom pipe while it was on the bike, would have been easier to do it on the floor.

I threw down plenty of blankets and sheets that way I could fit things together on the floor and not worry about scratching the chrome.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good job, bro. The look and sound is phenomenal but the install SUCKS! The thing about is that if the supplied parts actually fit together like they are supposed to, it wouldn't take more than an hour or so. I like the slash tips pointed out....gives it a different look and may keep my rear wheel cleaner. :bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I have the terminator style roadhouse:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup: Makes me want to put my tips back on...nothing like a good set of tips!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I little follow-up for you guys.

I have about 600 miles on these pipes since I put them on. I really do like the sound/performance of them, and I have gotten alot of positive feedback from other riders. When I passed Lucky on his bike, he said he could "feel" the exhaust as I went passed him.....shockwave! :bigthumbsup:

I turned my slash tips out and I can tell you that my rear wheel does stay cleaner now vs. my stock pipes. :doorag:

For other Roadhouse owners, are any of you guys using the Performance baffle that Roadhouse sells on their website. If so, what is the difference? :dontknow:

http://www.roadhousebrand.com/Merch...en=PROD&Store_Code=RBS&Product_Code=50-102-01

·
Registered
567 Posts
Bro I feel your pain on the install...and don't feel bad about how long it took. When the dealer put my new clutch in they had to call me and I had to go to the shop to help them get them back on...lol.

I haven't tried the performance baffles but I did rewrap mine a couple thousand miles ago. For S&G I ran her around w/o the baffles in; those cans sound wicked without baffles!

I've been thinking about trying the performance too, might just do that this winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts