M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First post, so a bit of an intro. My name is Greg, high school teacher, and I've been a sport bike rider for awhile now. With a fused spine and knees that have had been taking a beating since I was eight. Sadly the gixxer has got to go. Something kind of takes the fun out of riding when it hurts. Anyways, the local stealership has a great deal on a never used '08 M90 and to be honest I love the design of the 109's and 90's. I do have some questions that I'd hope to get some help from since I trust a salesman as far as I can throw them and since you can't test drive them:
Riding position: Oddly the neutral position hurts my knees and butt (i.e. honda shadow, mid point pegs etc.)
Power: at 1500 cc's I'm pretty sure power won't be a concern, but I do have a quick question.
At 80 miles per hour does the M90 still have power to spare if I want to pass a cager with out dropping down a gear? (i.e. kind find the hp spec) I'm not looking for another crotch rocket, but I don't like the anemia I felt when driving some of the Honda Cruisers.
Comfort: Alberta is flat, and straight highways, how does the M90 and M109 feel on a long ride (with stock seat)
Does the two inch difference in length really make that much of a difference in riding position? By that I mean are the pegs still in the same position as the 109s.
I have sat on them both, and they both feel about the same (I know they are not) but I hate finding stuff out after you've laid down the cash.
Sorry for all the newb questions and I appreciate any and all input
Thanks
-Greg

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'll take a shot at this from the M109 side. The torque is simply a blast to ride with. And it is pretty fast for a cruiser style bike. It is also Heavy which means you cant throw it around like the sport bike. But it has a pretty stable ride well past 125 and top gear on the freeway is just a slight twist of the wrist to shoot past a semi like it was nothing. You have to get use to the big tire in the back but if you have ridden for a while it is a quick learn. There are much more aftermarket parts for the 9 than the 90. Love my niner. Both bikes are pretty close in size and weight. The 90 is suppose to handle a bit better than the nine. Can't say I have not had the pleasure of a 90 leg over. Both are beautiful bikes that get lots of attention where every you go. And you can adjust the ride position with some seat mods and bar angles and pull backs. Also seat back rests. Lots of creature comforts on these you wont find on a crotch rocket. Both are fun bikes that are not cut from the normal cookie cutter image. That makes it fun. Just be prepared for the attention.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I came from the sportbike world as well. I've owned a triumph T955 and a honda cbr 600rr. I've riden almost every newer sportbike out there. I ended up buying the m90 for two reasons, the dealer had a black one, and the price difference. I've rode about 600 miles and I gotta say I dig the 90. It is heavy, but when cornering, its a blast to rock that thing hard in the turns. You can't throw it around, but I still get the rush, its just a different kind of rush. On the highway I gotta say it kinda sucks at 80 with no windshield and a half cap helmet. You're taking all the wind on your chest and head/face. I do hit the rev limiter in first, my 600 was WAY faster, but then again, different bike.

Comfort is exceptional. No more wrist and shoulder aches. Nice to chill and blast thru the backroads. I still ride with the sportbike guys and I'm not holding them back.

Bottom line is I don't regret buying it. If they did have the 9 in black I would have jumped on it though.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I too came from a gixxer! Do I sometimes wish I still had it, yeah, but not very often (only when I feel the need to go over 125). I switched from my gixxer to this because of my knees. Knee surgeries and sportbikes don't mix. I love my 90. It is fun to ride, handles great, and gets lots of attention. With that said, I will soon be trading up to a 109. Power junkie I guess. Just need to convince my gf to start riding my 90 so I can get the 109. We do a lot of day rides that are 250-300 miles throughout northern New England. No way I could have done it on the gixxer. Does my butt get sore, yeah, doesn't everyones at that distance. But, my knees, wrists, and shoulders are pain free after a day of riding. I am 5'10". I wish my pegs were a little more forward, but they are in a very comfortable spot. You would be happy with the 90, but, if you are one to want something bigger in a year (like me), get the 9!

And I assume that's a 2009 M90?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i came from sportbikes, and still own a R1. the riding position is different, but hopefully your knees will get used it to since there less weight being placed on them on a cruiser style bike. the 109 has plenty of power but keep in mind that it is not a sportbike. once you get used to "instant" power that the throttle of a sportbike has there is no real comparison to anything else. the best thing i tell you is to just pull the trigger on a 109 and you will not be disappointed. but keep in mind, it is like comparing appled to oranges but at least it is the best of both worlds since you will have one of the most powerful cruisers on the market.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the 90, I just started back riding after about a 20 year hiatus. I was intrigued by the look and style of the 9, but at 5'9 I felt a bit more comfortable on the 90 and caught a 90 on sale for $8,999, the price difference made it an offer I couldn't refuse. Power the 1500 provides plenty, not as much as the 1800 but still enough. On the highway I ride around 80 or 85..thats the point I can ride straight up with out being blown of the bike..(no wind shield). But when I go around trucks on the highway, a slight turn on the throttle, a slight lean towards the tank..I'm up to 90/95 very quickly. One day my brother tried pulling away from on his Street Glide...He topped out about 115 and when I passed him I was doing close to 125 (according to the 90's off speedo), The bike acted as if it still wanted to go, but that was fast enough for me, and proved to my brother that m 90cc could get me down the road faster than his 96cc. But I have to admit every now and then I wonder how it would be with the 109cc motor. And my bike gets alot of attention/complements, most people thinks its a 109...I think only 9 and 90 riders notice the differences...everybody else thinks they are the same. Overall I'm very pleased with my 90

·
Registered
413 Posts
No test ride!! That is weird, my dealer let me ride the 109 and the 90.....

But to the 90, seems like oleskool and I are about the same build, that is what made me go with th 90, I rode the 9 just didnt "FIT" me, I will say I love the way I can rail a sharp turn at 70 and feel secure and connected to the bike, I love this thing, mine is a 2009 and had 23 miles on her when I got her last month, now im at 800 miles, I love this thing. My but gets numb after a 3 hour ride and hands would cramp sometimes, a crampbuster fixed the wrist and Im looking at the Air Hawk seats. Overall there are more things for the 9's but still alot and more to come for the 90. You will get some strange looks when someone sees you lay a solid 1st gear scratch and take off like a rocket, the 90 is pretty quick, and I love the torque. I think it will be perfect when the pipes, intake and power commander V are installed. The wife likes the seating position and the room, she just wants larger passenger pegs.

Oh and the passing gear seems to do fine for me, heck 2nd gear takes me to about 70 I think, on GPS.... but I usually shift into 3rd sooner than that cause the torque seems to take you faster the the HP at that speed.

Hope this helps and :welcome: to the boards

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 109 certainly has some serious power but the 90 is no slug either ,
I still find i got heaps of power at 100kph to past but I do drop it back a cog or even two .. it just loves it :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
OK already. Post some pic's when you buy something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made the plunge, sold the gixxer and found the best deal in town on an '09 M90.(floor model with 1600 km so no break in period!) Finally I have a good reason to wear chaps :bigthumbsup: I took it out on a 2 hour spin (mostly HWY) and to be honest there was some getting used to aspects. First I had to retrain my feet to move forward instead of backward to get the pegs, and that stopping isn't as quick.
I love the way it handles and I love the riding position (almost the same way I sit when in my cage). I kind of miss the tach and I'm not 100% sure when the best time to shift is, but it will come. The power level is great, and I like the way it feels in the curves. I may look into a windshield down the road, since I was just about blown off the bike at 120 km/h. I will post up some pics later today.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I had to retrain my feet to move forward instead of backward to get the pegs
I had the same problem!

I may look into a windshield down the road, since I was just about blown off the bike at 120 km/h.
When you're ready, definitely give the V Stream Sport some consideration. It flows nicely with the bike and doesn't take away from the looks.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Hello,
First post, so a bit of an intro. My name is Greg, high school teacher, and I've been a sport bike rider for awhile now. With a fused spine and knees that have had been taking a beating since I was eight. Sadly the gixxer has got to go. Something kind of takes the fun out of riding when it hurts. Anyways, the local stealership has a great deal on a never used '08 M90 and to be honest I love the design of the 109's and 90's. I do have some questions that I'd hope to get some help from since I trust a salesman as far as I can throw them and since you can't test drive them:
Riding position: Oddly the neutral position hurts my knees and butt (i.e. honda shadow, mid point pegs etc.)
Power: at 1500 cc's I'm pretty sure power won't be a concern, but I do have a quick question.
At 80 miles per hour does the M90 still have power to spare if I want to pass a cager with out dropping down a gear? (i.e. kind find the hp spec) I'm not looking for another crotch rocket, but I don't like the anemia I felt when driving some of the Honda Cruisers.
Comfort: Alberta is flat, and straight highways, how does the M90 and M109 feel on a long ride (with stock seat)
Does the two inch difference in length really make that much of a difference in riding position? By that I mean are the pegs still in the same position as the 109s.
I have sat on them both, and they both feel about the same (I know they are not) but I hate finding stuff out after you've laid down the cash.
Sorry for all the newb questions and I appreciate any and all input
Thanks
-Greg
I had a M90 and was very happy with performance. The riding position for me was painfull after 25 miles. Shoulder pain and lower back pain. I recently traded my M90 to a new 08 M109r.
I had to decide on spending money to modify the M90, find a pre-loved one or put the money toward a M109.
COULD NOT BE HAPPIER! Its best trying to test both before you make your final decision. The worst case scenario seat on them at the dealer and make some comparison. Do not get excited on the look! Get the right one for you! They are both very similar in design. You'll not have any problems with power on the M90 and the M109... Hold on! I've never seen anything like it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts