M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going back to work at a three way intersection and saw an 18 wheeler approaching to make a turn. It is a tight turn for them and I stayed back a good 50 feet so he could make his turn. The lady in front of me was right at the light. She puts it in reverse and proceeds to lay down rubber in reverse right into me. Despite my laying on the horn the whole time and trying to get out of her way she clocked me pretty good. No one was hurt, damage was nothing to her truck. My SUV has about a grand worth of damage but drivable. She has insurance. She takes full blame for the incident. I go to leave and she comes up to my window...............are you ready for this.................she says to me, " When this type of things usually happens, my husband doesn't like to report it to the insurance company, he normally likes the people to take their car to so and so body shop. They do a very good job and yada yada yada." I just looked at her and said, " Is this a regular thing for you?. Her rely was, " ah well, it has happened alot, yeah.

I guess in my older age, I am mellowing, because all I could do was laugh, put the window up and be thankful I was not hurt, she was not hurt and I could laugh about it. Tomorrow, I will go and get the estimate and see just how quickly her husband wants to pay this matter off. If I had been on the bike, I don't think things would have worked out quite so well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Re: Got hit today, thank God not on the bike.

I'm glad you're ok, Bruno. I can see you and the trucker watching that driver pull this stunt. It's hell when the horn won't stop'em. I think you probably have it straight regarding her admission that it's not a first time thing. Do you suppose getting the police involved to the point of her being issued a citation might at least be a step in the direction of getting her off the road before she does worse damage? Kinda sounded like she doesn't have it together, driving wise.

Made me think of another thing too, I wonder how many times an insurance agent ever hears this one. "No, I didn't rear end your client and do this much damage, she backed into me." When it's not the case of course. Be careful out there.

Quote:
I hope your trust is warranted. Sounds like there was no accident report?? If not you could be out of luck - Sledzep

LG - yep, that's what I meant, an agent probably doesn't hear that very often at all. And if their client starts saying you rear ended her auto and there isn't anything else to go on but your word against her's....well let's hope she isn't any more cunning than she is capable.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

I hope your trust is warranted. Sounds like there was no accident report?? If not you could be out of luck

Sledzep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Good points guys, and maybe I am too trusting. She was an elderly lady and a local. Maybe 5-6 blocks from my office. I figured if she was going to give me a problem it would have been right from the git, but you do bring up valid points. I guess tomorrow will tell the story when I turn in the estimate and request the monies. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Cort and I were dying reading this..... I too am very glad you were not on the 109 (or the wing for that matter).

I'm right around the corner from Tel Hai so I deal with the "elderly" every day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Perry, I am soo jealous that you are so much handier than I. Looks sweet bro. Thanks Chris and Cort. I am fine thank God. Gotta watch those blue hairs. :p

·
Registered
9 Posts

Good to hear your not hurt! For that same exact reason (being "backed onto" about six years ago) I've had air-horns on my last two rides. That small mod will continue to be on every ride both my family and I own. Glad to say that I've not had the same misfortune (knock on wood) since. Firm believer in a "Holy Crap Blast" grabbin' the attention of the typical absent-minded driver.
The lack of basic driving skills by what seems to be the masses never ceases to amaze me. :dontknow: Sad thing is that they're multiplying like rabbits! Ride Safe! :doorag:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not a supersticious person ( I don't think I can even spell it). Today my wife called me in tears. She was on her way to work and a guy whipped around the corner on a flat bed truck with an unsecured load of steel. He dropped the load coming around the curve right onto her lane (he failed to yield) and she ran right over it. She swerved, went up on two wheels and nearly went over.

It was the grace of God that she did not roll over. She has not one scratch on her and for that I am truly thankful. I was at work and the accident scene was 30 minutes from my office. Longest ride in my life getting there. Fortunately, the driver was not there when i got there, because I was getting pretty torqued on the ride over. Cop sited him for everyting in the book and told him to get out of there. Grabbed my wife, gave her a huge hug and kiss. She was all upset about her car and I told her I could care less about the car - I stll had her. Front end is gone, both rear wheels and tires are damaged, exhaust was ripped out, oil pan punctured and on and on. That was just what I could see as the car was leaving on the flat bed. Will get a better look at it tomorrow when I go to the body shop. It will be there next to my car which is due to get started on tomorrow as well. Can you say - Helllloooo Enterprise

So that is two in two weeks - Pray for me guys, I am running out of vehicles. :p

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thank God both of you are okay!  I always have to remember after something like this that the toys we accumulate in this life are replaceable, friends and loved ones aren't. 

·
Registered
898 Posts
wow bruno that is the suk :yikes: glad she was ok... that is a bummer having to deal with all that crap :( hopefully you are past your quota for idiots for a long time... but you know they say it comes in threes :eek:

eyes wide open :duck:

khrome

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wow Bruno, glad to hear you and the wife are BOTH okay...

Now I can see why they made Hummers in the first place... and after watching that Hummer commercial on TV...

Time to get the wife a nice H1 ;) Nothing can hurt her in that bad boy...

Glad to hear you two are safe, praying that God sends you more guardian angels

·
Registered
702 Posts
glad noone was hurt.

thanks for the post, it'll remind us all to be vigilant whenon the roads in or on whatever vehicle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some good news: First accident: Lady's insurance company called today. Told me to go ahead get the work done they will pay for damages and rental car. That was a nice surprise.

The accident this morning. Insurance company from the guy that hit my wife has already called, taken responsibility for their client and approved my bodyshop, towing agent, rental car agency. I am starting to feel special.

Wifey is still a little shakey. I made her go out and drive some today and she was not thrilled about it, but you know what they say, you gotta get back on the horse. She's a trooper though. We were almost killed 16 years ago by a drunk driver. T-boned us at 70mph and it was a miracle we survived. This is the first time since then we have had accidents and it has brought back some unpleasant memories. I am thankful that God watches out for His kids. Thank you for all your kinds words guys and e-mails. You guys are the best.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Take it easy out there. Trust your gut, and stay safe. God speed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Unreal, Bruno. Can't say how glad I am to hear you're both doing well.

If there's a silver lining on that black cloud that's been hovering above you, it's that so far the 109 remains unscathed! (knocking on wood right this moment!) :joke:

·
Registered
543 Posts
That story remind me of one of my crashes.1976 I had a brand new Cutlass,and a lady backs up and hit the 1/4 panel.She is a blond well built,and say's I have insurance,but I just live a block from here,we can work this out. My mouth dropped,cuz mama just went to pick up some pick me up stuff.I was totally shock, then she say's I won't seduce you if you don't wan't it.Good think mama came out,or I might have came. :redfaced:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Bruno said:
I am not a supersticious person ( I don't think I can even spell it). Today my wife called me in tears. She was on her way to work and a guy whipped around the corner on a flat bed truck with an unsecured load of steel. He dropped the load coming around the curve right onto her lane (he failed to yield) and she ran right over it. She swerved, went up on two wheels and nearly went over.

It was the grace of God that she did not roll over. She has not one scratch on her and for that I am truly thankful. I was at work and the accident scene was 30 minutes from my office. Longest ride in my life getting there. Fortunately, the driver was not there when i got there, because I was getting pretty torqued on the ride over. Cop sited him for everyting in the book and told him to get out of there. Grabbed my wife, gave her a huge hug and kiss. She was all upset about her car and I told her I could care less about the car - I stll had her. Front end is gone, both rear wheels and tires are damaged, exhaust was ripped out, oil pan punctured and on and on. That was just what I could see as the car was leaving on the flat bed. Will get a better look at it tomorrow when I go to the body shop. It will be there next to my car which is due to get started on tomorrow as well. Can you say - Helllloooo Enterprise

So that is two in two weeks - Pray for me guys, I am running out of vehicles. :p
Just wanted to verify that YOU grabbed your wife and gave her a huge hug and kiss, and not the cop! ;) Glad you are both uninjured and that both accidents are being taken care of. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts