M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... i managed to find the one a-hole cop on duty... young officer, chip on shoulder yesterday...

Me and the wife were out riding... pulled in a turn lane... (straight lanes were green). Had a red turning arrow..... there was no traffic anywhere to be found... so we went ahead and did our U-turn (U-turns are legal and 100% required in georgia) then we see the infamous lights....

he pulls us over.... writes both me and my miss's a ticket for "failure to obey a traffic control device".....

What blew me away about this was we were 100% cool with him... and he was just a prick the entire time.... I know you'll find an a-hole anywhere.... but i couldn't believe the balls on this guy....
it's all good I'm havin lunch with his boss today :)... hes gonna be pickin up dead animals for a couple weeks cause of this.. :).... gotta love karma  :bigthumbsup:

G

·
So you are allowed to do a U turn on a red arrow? Maybe I'm not following. I may have pulled you over if you were a squid or just to make sure you weren't drunk but I'd let ya go :doorag:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
dynamos2000 said:
So you are allowed to do a U turn on a red arrow? Maybe I'm not following. I may have pulled you over if you were a squid or just to make sure you weren't drunk but I'd let ya go :doorag:
No traffic around, I'd have done the same thing... Sounds like the :cop: was just having a bad day and taking it out on someone cause he could. Cops with PowerTrips installed are a pain.. my cousin is like that... luckily he's a detective now and not in a uniform cause had he stayed in a uniform I fear his wife would have been a widow before 30 8( (yes he was that much of a :edit: )

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
What do you mean he wrote you and your miss a ticket? Both of you got a ticket? :dontknow:

Ok, that being said, why is it that the cop is a prick because he wrote you a ticket for running a red light? Maybe the chip was on his shoulder because to him, you appeared to be somebody who didn't think the law applied to you. Would it be a different story if you were in a car? Would it be any different if you went straight through the intersection on red just because there was no traffic around? I just don't understand people complaining about getting a ticket when they blatantly broke the law.... and then say is was an a-hole cop with a power trip. Red lights are there for a reason. If they just wanted you to stop if traffic was coming, then it would have been a solid green light in the turn lane, or just a flashing red light. Most states (that I'm aware of) allow you to procede with caution if you have waited through multiple light changes without having your light change, but it doesn't seem this was the case in your story.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Medic1210 said:
What do you mean he wrote you and your miss a ticket? Both of you got a ticket? :dontknow:

Ok, that being said, why is it that the cop is a prick because he wrote you a ticket for running a red light? Maybe the chip was on his shoulder because to him, you appeared to be somebody who didn't think the law applied to you. Would it be a different story if you were in a car? Would it be any different if you went straight through the intersection on red just because there was no traffic around? I just don't understand people complaining about getting a ticket when they blatantly broke the law.... and then say is was an a-hole cop with a power trip. Red lights are there for a reason. If they just wanted you to stop if traffic was coming, then it would have been a solid green light in the turn lane, or just a flashing red light. Most states (that I'm aware of) allow you to procede with caution if you have waited through multiple light changes without having your light change, but it doesn't seem this was the case in your story.
+1

If you turned against a red arrow then that's the same as running a red light. If you wait through an entire light cycle and it doesn't turn green for you, then you can proceed through it legally if it is safe to do so. But if you pulled up to the red arrow and thought "there is nobody around, :edit: it" and ran it anyway, then I don't see how you should complain.

The only thing I'd be pissed about is that the cop gave your wife a ticket too. Since she was obviously just a passenger I don't think it is legal for him to give her a ticket for a moving violation is she wasn't the one driving. Any cops care to comment on this?? :dontknow: :doorag:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Agree. I don't think if I broke the law which it sounds like you did I would have any reason to complain aobut getting a ticket.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you notice above.. i wasn;t complaining about the ticket... :edit: happens....
I was complaining that the guy was a complete and total prick about it... He was rude, unprofessional, and just an a$$...

Good example...
When i got pulled over and he came up... he asked are you aware that you went through a red turn light.. I responded "yes, sir I am aware of that" He then asked "why in the hell would you do something as stupid as that".... To which i responded "that light will not trigger for a motorcycle so i looked in all directions and proceeded" his next response "Who in the hell gave you the right to disobey a traffic signal, are you aware the number of....... yada yada...... " so i managed to be cursed at, disrespected, and lectured all at the same time.... I have never seen a ticket take 40 min to write...... I was nice and held my tongue... even when i heard "all you bikers are the same"... (I didn't think i needed to spell out "being a prick", but there it is...)

The good news.... i had lunch with his boss..... yeah i gotta pay the tickets (no big deal there)... but tonight i get to fill out a formal complaint against the officer and there pulling his video tape for disciplinary reasons........ so karma is nice :)...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey man, I was a N.C. State Trooper for 33 years and I have never heard of giving a passenger a ticket for something the operator did unless the vehicle was registered to the passenger and the operator was allowed to drive without a license or was intoxicated. Then you charge them with allowing. If he used the language you said he did, he needs to be disciplined. I stopped thousands of m/c in my 33 years for running red lights that would trip but never gave a ticket. I would stop to see if they had been drinking or had the proper M/C endorcement on license. You get a so called prick in any profession so don't let this one change your opinion of others. :cop:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Moonbaby said:
If you notice above.. i wasn;t complaining about the ticket... :edit: happens....
I was complaining that the guy was a complete and total prick about it... He was rude, unprofessional, and just an a$$...

Good example...
When i got pulled over and he came up... he asked are you aware that you went through a red turn light.. I responded "yes, sir I am aware of that" He then asked "why in the hell would you do something as stupid as that".... To which i responded "that light will not trigger for a motorcycle so i looked in all directions and proceeded" his next response "Who in the hell gave you the right to disobey a traffic signal, are you aware the number of....... yada yada...... " so i managed to be cursed at, disrespected, and lectured all at the same time.... I have never seen a ticket take 40 min to write...... I was nice and held my tongue... even when i heard "all you bikers are the same"... (I didn't think i needed to spell out "being a prick", but there it is...)

The good news.... i had lunch with his boss..... yeah i gotta pay the tickets (no big deal there)... but tonight i get to fill out a formal complaint against the officer and there pulling his video tape for disciplinary reasons........ so karma is nice :)...
Well, unless you were in some podunk town, the police officer's car would have been equipped with video and sound recording with the cop having a lapel mic on his uniform. This is to protect both the cops and the people they deal with. If he truely said those things to you, then your best bet is to file a formal complaint on him and with the department. He has no business talking to people like that and the only way to stop him is to complain to people that can actually do something about it.

Edited to add: Don't know how I missed your last comment about actually filing the complaint. Good for you. That is the only way to handle cops like that.

·
Registered
765 Posts
dbritton1963 said:
Hey man, I was a N.C. State Trooper for 33 years and I have never heard of giving a passenger a ticket for something the operator did unless the vehicle was registered to the passenger and the operator was allowed to drive without a license or was intoxicated. Then you charge them with allowing. If he used the language you said he did, he needs to be disciplined. I stopped thousands of m/c in my 33 years for running red lights that would trip but never gave a ticket. I would stop to see if they had been drinking or had the proper M/C endorcement on license. You get a so called prick in any profession so don't let this one change your opinion of others. :cop:
I'm an LEO also. I like to tell people LEO's are just like people in other jobs. Some of us are polite, some are :edit:, some are great at their jobs, and some are not. I would have pulled you over also, but your attitude did not deserve his responses. I have actually filed a complaint against a fellow officer for just this type of attitude. Please file a complaint. We don't need officer's with this attitude, just like we don't need bikers with attitudes like this.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey Black Cherry, thanks a lot. I was a cop for 33 years and I didn't judge myself as a prick and you don't even know me and call me and every other cop that you don't know pricks. I'm just another civilian person now that enjoys my M109R and this forum for the great information it supplies, not a some obnoxious ba$%#&* like you calling people pricks that may have to save your life or familys one day!! :cop:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
UMMMMMMMM ! U did a U'eeee on a red arrow.......Bannnnnnnnk ding, dong ....you made an illegal move my man . You can proceed if it were a right hand turn and it was red...unless a sign was posted , but my heart goes out to you .

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
dbritton1963 said:
Hey Black Cherry, thanks a lot. I was a cop for 33 years and I didn't judge myself as a prick and you don't even know me and call me and every other cop that you don't know pricks. I'm just another civilian person now that enjoys my M109R and this forum for the great information it supplies, not a some obnoxious ba$%#&* like you calling people pricks that may have to save your life or familys one day!! :cop:
Easy man.... Let's not get too bent on a joke. The " :a20: " kinda means he was just joking, not being serious. Group hug.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Maybe if he had seen your wife beating you upside your helmet for going through the light, he might not have pulled you over... or he at least wouldn't have ticketed her :joke: I know I would've caught some grief from the missus for that :verymad:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts