M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took off work a little early today to go for a ride with some buddies. we all pull up to a red light.  (the two of them in the right lane; me in the left).  we're waiting on the light when i hear the horrible scream of locked up brakes.  i look in the left mirror and see my worst fear coming true.  a
guy in a full size truck coming right at me. screaming boiling off his rear tires. i guess instinct took over, all i could think to do was take off. i just knew i had to get out of his way.  so i nail it, through the light and into the right lane.  i pull into the emergency lane just past the intersection and stop. the truck got stopped at the light.  right on top of where i was sitting moments before.
at first i thought "my lucky day".  then i hear a siren. a cop pulls out of a parking lot across the street and comes right at me. i thought he was going to give the guy in the truck a ticket.  i was wrong.  he doesn't even look at the truck as it goes on by.  my two buddies pull up behind the cop car and shut down their bikes.  he gives me a ticket for running the redlight. I COULDN'T FRICKIN BELIEVE IT! he had to have seen what happened.  now i have a 175 dollar ticket to pay on top of the insult of it. i told another buddy of mine who's a local cop and he said he could take care of it.  but, i hate to have him do that.  then, again, 175 bucks trumps hate anyday. 
anyway, just wanted to vent about it. thanks for listening (reading)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Re: got a ticket; and it's total BS

yeah that one was BS. At least you had witnesses and if your friend does not take care of it I would definitely fight that one. glad you were ok, most people never see those coming because they never look in their mirrors when stopped so you did good. :bigthumbsup:

G

·

Fight that one all the way!! You have your 2 buddies as witnesses so I don't see a problem with you getting that dropped!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

yep, that's b.s.. personally, i wouldn't let the friend cop take care of it. first i'd go to the station and talk to that idiot cop's supervisor to let him know what kind of servicemen he has representing him and their office. if he didn't take care of it, i'd take it to court, and demand a jury. after that, i'd file a counter suit against the city/state (whichever issued) for time, legal fees, and emotional distress. can't let government step on your rights, not even an inch. driving defensively is not a right, it's a legal requirement, and overrides other driving laws.

but, that's just me.

G

·

Good job watchin your 6. Yeah, I'd fight it. First point I'd bring up is that you were already pulled off to the side of the road when the officer came after you. Why would you run the light and then stop on the other side???? You should not have any problem, but with all that took place I can see your frustration. Most important thing - you are ok and lived to talk about it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Walker (AKA Jean Valjean), :eek:

Please keep us posted. We want to know if common sense prevails or if this will be another Javert :cop: from
Victor Hugo's Classic Movie, "Les Misérables." :clap2:

Good Luck,

Doc :read:

·
Registered
63 Posts

Go back to that intersection with a camera and take some photos of it. Hopefully there will be some skidmarks from the truck. You can show those photos to the judge and show him where you standing.

·
Registered
158 Posts

man nice thinking!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: 3 people, you can take pic's of the intersection and 1 cop... np you should be able to take care of it :D :bigthumbsup: good luck man and let us know how it goes

·
Registered
350 Posts

I understand where you're coming from and you did the right thing. But had you not run the red light, the driver of the truck would have gotten the ticket. And you would be out a lot more than 175 bucks.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

Definately fight this one!! Sounds like you might have had the "Lawdog" in your neck of the woods! Did he hit you with the rubber hose?? :joke:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

hellrazr72 said:
Fight that one all the way!! You have your 2 buddies as witnesses so I don't see a problem with you getting that dropped!!
Also I try to carry my digital camera in a tank bag all the time. If you still can, or if that sort of thing happens in the future, take a pic of those skid marks from the truck that almost got you as well as the intersection and take the pics to court. You know what they say a picture is worth ...

And thank God you had good threat perception working for you !!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts

I'm just curious what the cop said when you explained that you were 'saving your azz from gettin run over by the truck'?

I would think any cop that isn't a total RICHARD would have listened to you and your witnesses. But then again, you may have filled his quota for the day and gave him the opportunity to get off early.

If it were me, I'd appear on COPS for showin my azz. Law or no law, self preservation trumps all...

G

·

Talk to the city and see if they have a traffic camera at the intersection, maybe it got caught on tape...

·
Registered
6 Posts

phaed said:
yep, that's b.s.. personally, i wouldn't let the friend cop take care of it. first i'd go to the station and talk to that idiot cop's supervisor to let him know what kind of servicemen he has representing him and their office. if he didn't take care of it, i'd take it to court, and demand a jury......
Agreed. I'd also demand a jury trial 4 the crime.  I'd swear in & X-amin the injured party. If 'they' tell u, ur crime is an 'administrative process' w/ no jury allowed & only a judge - 'they're bsing u.' Hold ur ground!Â

"The requirement of fair trial is binding on administrative agencies as well as on the courts."
[U.S. v. Brad, D.C. Cal 1968]
Â
N the future it may b a good idea 4 u 2 always sign any state/fed document w/ "All Rights Reserved".  Believe w/o 'reserving ur Rights' - u knowlingy give them up.  Even this website has it printed at the bottom.  Demand a jury! It's free except ur time! The court canNOT turn a RIGHT into a 'Privilage' & then charge u a fee to exercise it.Â

Anuther option, U may also want to get a Can & / or So. American dr's license. A few yrs back, I got myself a Can dr's license & to this day, it's what I use here in California. Been pulled over in my car & vtx a few x's - consistently NO citiation.  That's my .02 cents. Â

1 - 20 of 33 Posts