M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after 3.5 years my Cardo Scalarider teamset wont hold a charge any longer. Called Cardo and guess what......Yep...Battery is non-replaceable...time to buy a new headset setup!

OR do we????

Well I figured since the batteries are junk and the setup is supposedly non-replaceable I figured I would break it apart and see for myself....

Undo these 3 screws (yes break out your eyeglasses screwdrivers!)

Next carefully pry the base and the top peices apart (there is some silicon sealant holding them together so it's hard to get started) Note: Take out the charging weather cap (rubber) from the charging access point.

Next undo these 2 screws to allow access to the battery below.

Next carefully tilt the main pcb board to the side (towards the side with the base connectors) and then clip the wires close to the old battery allowing it to come out (original battery is soldered in).

Go try to find a replacement battery...(the company that actually makes the battery is Hyperbattery.com in china and only do OEM quanities (1000+ units).

I think I found a replacement one that will work (and it has a slightly higher mAh value 450 vs 400 and thus might even last a bit longer when in use?) and it is being shipped to me as I type this...will post it's info once it arrives and I make sure it will work.

Once battery arrives and you prepare to soldered it back into place (make sure you have the battery protection pcb from the old battery installed on the new one (if your replacement battery doesn't have one!) as without a protection pcb you will run a very high risk of having the new battery explode due to overcharging during a recharge or overdischarging the battery while using the device!!.

Then reassemble in the reverse and you can even make it completely weather tight again by using a very thin layer of silicon rtv like Cardo did (I will be using black rtv when my replacement battery arrives next week)

If you happen to find an Exact replacement for our battery or come up with other options for the battery please post them up as well!

Have fun and hopefully we will be saving the cost of new setups just due to failed batteries!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Only 3 1/2 years on a what $200 to $300.00 device? You sure just changed my mind about looking at these. That's $75 to $100.00 a year use. That's just crazy. Hopefully the new ones do better than that.

I hope your new battery works. That would be cool. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I totally thought the batteries would be replaceable like they are in a cellphone or cordless phone.....I don't even know if the new new (G4) units have replaceable batteries...I was so upset I didn't even ask Cardo support when I called about my 3.5 year old setup!

·
Radio Active Member
22,664 Posts
Thanks for posting this bro. I wondered how long those would last. The pair we have still holds a charge for at least 8 hours and we've used them a lot in the past year. Please keep us updated when you get the new battery. And this would make a great how-to, maybe someone will move it once you've finished with it.

I bet most of these bike to bike units have non-replaceable batteries other the ones that have a walkie-talkie for the communicator.

·
Registered
66 Posts
None of the bluetooth systems have replaceable batteries . There is one model made by J&M , but it doesn't have intercom capabilities . The warranties are all about two years , after that your on your own . Thats alot of money for something that only lasts three or four years . I have the Starcom 1 Advance Digital . There is no comparison .

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Well after 3.5 years my Cardo Scalarider teamset wont hold a charge any longer. Called Cardo and guess what......Yep...Battery is non-replaceable...time to buy a new headset setup!

OR do we????

Well I figured since the batteries are junk and the setup is supposedly non-replaceable I figured I would break it apart and see for myself....

Undo these 3 screws (yes break out your eyeglasses screwdrivers!)

Next carefully pry the base and the top peices apart (there is some silicon sealant holding them together so it's hard to get started) Note: Take out the charging weather cap (rubber) from the charging access point.

Next undo these 2 screws to allow access to the battery below.

Next carefully tilt the main pcb board to the side (towards the side with the base connectors) and then clip the wires close to the old battery allowing it to come out (original battery is soldered in).

Go try to find a replacement battery...(the company that actually makes the battery is Hyperbattery.com in china and only do OEM quanities (1000+ units).

I think I found a replacement one that will work (and it has a slightly higher mAh value 450 vs 400 and thus might even last a bit longer when in use?) and it is being shipped to me as I type this...will post it's info once it arrives and I make sure it will work.

Once battery arrives and you prepare to soldered it back into place (make sure you have the battery protection pcb from the old battery installed on the new one (if your replacement battery doesn't have one!) as without a protection pcb you will run a very high risk of having the new battery explode due to overcharging during a recharge or overdischarging the battery while using the device!!.

Then reassemble in the reverse and you can even make it completely weather tight again by using a very thin layer of silicon rtv like Cardo did (I will be using black rtv when my replacement battery arrives next week)

If you happen to find an Exact replacement for our battery or come up with other options for the battery please post them up as well!

Have fun and hopefully we will be saving the cost of new setups just due to failed batteries!
Man way to go! :bigthumbsup: Buck the system. To many times I've been told something was non repairable only to find out with a little work and some aggravation it can.

·
Registered
917 Posts
None of the bluetooth systems have replaceable batteries . There is one model made by J&M , but it doesn't have intercom capabilities . The warranties are all about two years , after that your on your own . Thats alot of money for something that only lasts three or four years . I have the Starcom 1 Advance Digital . There is no comparison .
I currently use a J&M corp Integratr IV in a magnetic tank bag and I'm really close to purchasing the Starcom 1 Digital, just been trying to think of mounting options, could you post photos of where you mounted the unit and where you placed your headset hook ups? Thanks...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacement battery link

Can you point me to the battery that you used?
I found some lower capacity (280mA or 300mA) batteries that might fit, but 450mA sounds perfect to me.
Can you post a link where you got it?
Thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have an even better way. While attending Lake of the Ozarks bikefest this year, I met the midwests rep. for Scala (Mike Sheehan), I had a problem with mine (wife tried to plug in "UP" literally. I encourage you to get ahold of him and explain your situation, guaranteed you will not be disappointed and more than likely "Greatly surprised"

Mike Sheehan <[email protected]>

tell him Joe Malone sent you....

·
Registered
620 Posts
My G4s are only a bit over a year old, so I guess I'll see how long they last... which reminds me... I should charge them before I put them away for the winter.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The G4's have a replaceable battery according to Cardio.

I picked up my replacement batteries from a company called Tenergy
http://www.tenergybattery.com

I have since moved to a different platform for both my wife and I that are hardwired into our bikes so no batteries to deal with (other than the main motorcycle one!) and they work so much better for us and works great with tons of other users over much much greater distances. (J&M JMCB2003) This product from J&M features a 40 channel CB radio, NOAA weather band, rider/passenger intercom and stereo music amplification from any Portable/MP3-type/I-pod music device.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the Q2: I used a replacement battery for an IPOD Video 5th Generation.
Those batteries can be easily found on ebay.
I have put together instructions to replace the battery here.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have a interstate battery that will replace anything I have given them so far..if you run into a problem I can check for them if need to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts