M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a deer on June 21st at 65MPH. Killed deer, never went down, messed up my right leg a little. Bike did not fair as well - $3853 in damage. I was VERY lucky. I just picked up the bike. Tank emblems have not come in, but I like it better without them! Did some haggling and ended up with a new tank and repair manual. Chrome driveshaft cover and engine cover on order. Ended up with $55 in my pocket even after deductible! I have the old tank - small dent where my knee hit it. About 1 1/2" in diameter, 1/8" deep. Don't know if anyone is looking for a Black tank? Here's a couple pics - sorry quality is not great. I have Hal's plate, waiting on billet turnsignals then will cut the original off. Just put Break A Way cruise control on it. Very nice piece. JSM and air horn goes on tomorrow.

Ride Safe! Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lamont. Glad I am still around to participate in your forum! If you ever get up near Syracuse, NY would gladly go for a ride with you. Show you some of upstate NY and try to steer clear of those F#@^@%* deer!

Ride Safe! Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to see you kept your sense of humor. I love your license plate. That will be topic of alot of conversations I am sure. Bike looks great btw.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Happy to hear you faired better than the deer. and also came out an the top end after the repair. :bigthumbsup:

Keep on riding safe and keep the sense of humor :joke:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Glad to hear you're thinning their herd without thinning our heard :evil:

As for that poor Valkyrie.. I'm highly impressed that the rider kept it upright.. That looks to be a fair sized deer (at least whats left of it anywho)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
thats one of the worst dangers on the road. Larry Grodskey who wrote a lot of "staying alive" safety papers on motorcycling even told the people he knew that would probably be what got him some day. I believe it was last month he was on his way from California to Pennsylvania on a Kawasaki police bike he just got and was coming through west Texas. He wanted to stop in one town for the night as it was getting dark but the hotels were full. He headed down the road to the next town some 60 miles away and during this part of his trip a deer came out in front of him and he was killed. You never know when it's time.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hi RPK. Hitting an animal at speed (esp on a bike) would be pretty frightening.. ..have seen a car where the engine mounts had sheered off, hitting a wild pig! This guy might have been more difficult to walk away from!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah,,I slow down a lot when forest areas show up, and I'm really careful in early mornings and evenings. Here in Michigan it is just crowded with deers all over the place.

You should see what a moose can do.
In Sweden, (where I come from) there are moose warning signs like there are deer signs here in the US.
I rode on my GXS 1100 once over in Sweden and came over a hill section on the road and a moose crossed over in front of me and I slowed down and when I got to the spot where the moose passed over the road , just to the right of me another moose came out , so I drove in between 2 moose :eek:
They shot on an average 80000 to 100000 moose/year during hunting season over there, ( I've shot 6 moose :D :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:).

·
Registered
256 Posts
wow, what some folks will do for mods   :joke:

no really, glad your okay and all seems to be well for you  :bigthumbsup:

tc

p.s. ever try deer whistles?   :joke:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts