M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Good reading there. I had to toss my stock front tire when I changed the rear due to the left side wearing out. Otherwise it had several thousand more miles in the center and right side. I kept them inflated to 40/42 psi and did manage to get 11,000 out of them.

The current Dunlop EIIIs are currently at 5000 and showing little of the side wear problem. But I have gotten in the habit of, whenever there is no traffic around, swerving in my lane to break up the flat rear look. So far at 5,000 miles the rear tire is still nice and round, and the front is showing no signs of exaggerated left side wear.

I also like the part about engine braking being mostly unnecessary due to better brakes. I do not downshift every last gear, and usually coast if I know I am going to stop due to STOP or long STOP sign. If its apparent I am not going to come to a full stop, I downshift to keep the engine in a proper rpm range.

Good reading, and food-for-thought.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes you shiver just to think about 2 inch contact patches that are keeping us from sheer disaster!!

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Makes you shiver just to think about 2 inch contact patches that are keeping us from sheer disaster!!
Actually due to the size of our back tire, I'd venture we get a bit more than that. Just follow another M109R around a curvy road and watch the back tire a bit. Quite a bit of tire making contact with the road, way more than in years past when a 130 was considered large for a rear tire and a 90 was a good front.

I've never even felt mine trying to get away from me, and it inspires more confidence in me in turns than any bike I have previously owned. And I've owned a lot, from standards to cruisers to crotch rockets to enduros.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I scope out some of the Harley boards and these whiners actually had tires replaced due to "cupping" or normal wear, for FREE! And if they complain again, yeah, probably free too. This site covers the misconception that cupping is a defect, among other things.

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html
I can see why some of the Harley guys get confused...they're used to putt-putting at 35 miles and hour, 3 miles up the road to the nearest bar and back. If they then actually ride the damn bike any distance, suddenly they come face to face with tire wear...it's a shock at first. Some recover, some don't.:joke::bigthumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts