M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....or else I would have been pushing the bike today. :verymad: I hooked up with some VTX guys at Deals Gap and we were going to stop somewhere for lunch and top off the tank. At the time I thought we were just going to head down the hill and get gas. When I left the lookout I had 128 miles on the tank and about 75 miles of that was at 90 to 120 mph :eek: I didn't realize how much fuel that took at those speeds but I was about to find out. My light came on at 140 miles and I thought we were going to stop at this BP but we drove right past it. Then I figured it must not be too far to where we were going to stop so I just kept going. After I hit 165 miles I knew I had to find a station pretty quick. I thought about turning around but instead I went to the front of the pack and told the leader that I needed fuel. I thought he said it was just up ahead so I took off ahead of them to fuel up. I drove and drove and there was no sign of a station and we were out in the sticks. I decided to turn around and ask those guys where the station was. I drove and drove and never did find those guys. I pretty much had it in my mind that I was going to be pushing this bike to some farmers barn and asking for fuel. I dropped my RPM's as low as I could and I made it back to the BP we passed. This is why I don't have a 4.8 gal tank like the CA bikes. :eek:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
hahaha, nice. i'm curious what the guage said...were there any bars left?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Man you do like to live on da edge. Now i just gotta push it to see what i get cause i am not even close to that mpg.

G

·
Crap, that's cutting it close. I had to refer to the manual. I thought we had a 5 gal capacity for fuel. Little did I know that it's 5.2 gals. That's too close for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Now THAT'S fun :bigthumbsup:

You ain't kiddin'. That tank is dry !

I am curious how much air space was left after putting in over 5.1 gallons. Man, I still can't believe how close you came to walking. Good thing you turned around when you did. And not a mile later.

·
Registered
525 Posts
It seems that the tank is a good design allowing you to get at 5.1 gallons of fuel from a 5.2 gallon tank.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Do the California bikes have smaller tanks or a monster of a fuelpump and crap in the tank taking up room?  Lamonster was the wind at your back?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Lamonster was the wind at your back?
he put his jacket on a stick and made a sail

·
Registered
60 Posts
That was cutting it close there. I know that had to be some tense moments out there and seeing that gas station when you pulled back up was about the best relief you could have ever had. I hope to never have to cut it close like that

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Folks:

I never rely on the gas gauge.....with almost 1600 miles on the bike I'm averageing 40/42 mpg. I rely solely on my trip meter......I always top the bike off with it in the upright position and zero out the # 1 trip meter.....when I reach just over a 100 mi. I stop and top off and usually take on 2.30 gals.

My 1800X/C had a low fuel warning light only and it was nothing but a pain in the a__!

I figure if I practice the above it becomes a "normal procedure" , like wearing a seatbelt, it's first a pain and then becomes second nature.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I normally push mine until the second warning because stopping at gas stations is depressing lately, but only when I know where the next one is, and I'm sure they're open.
I'm glasd you made it. Even though these machines are an easier push than the X, when you're going uphill, they're all too heavy.
Jer

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
That's too close for comfort Lamont!! I'm not a very big guy and sure don't wanna get caught having to push this beast!! I hope I never see the pump with those numbers on it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts