M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 1,500 miles on the 9EK plugs (one series colder than stock) I've gone back to the stock 8EK's. I'm happier. My bikes happier. If it breaks, I'll fix it.

G

·
I'm sure there is a good explanation but I'm being lazy can you tell us why you went back? Feel free to tell me to get off my lazy butt and search.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
firecat said:
I'm sure there is a good explanation but I'm being lazy can you tell us why you went back? Feel free to tell me to get off my lazy butt and search.
I'd be too scared to tell you that, you might send me one of your Gremlin bells! :joke:

G

·
rasputin said:
I'd be too scared to tell you that, you might send me one of your Gremlin bells! :joke:
:a20: it would take a lot more then that ::) I'm saving all my bells for the first guy that tries to take my bike from me so if you see a silver scattered all across the road with 10 bells attached to it you'll know what the story is :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :joke: :joke:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firecat said:
I'm sure there is a good explanation but I'm being lazy can you tell us why you went back? Feel free to tell me to get off my lazy butt and search.
As much as I hate to even mention it, this ties back to a long thread (with some follow up threads as well) on potential (speculated) piston damage as related to running the JSD mod. There I've said it - but please no posts about the JSD mod. Lets not start that again.

Some riders have switched to colder plugs as an extra protection against detonation. Potential detonation is under question and it's a somewhat complex issue as it's tied to exactly what total mods you have on your bike, what fuel to air settings you have, and what grade/quality of gas you run. In seeing a number of posts with people switching to colder plugs (most are going from stock 8's to 10's, which are two series colder), I decided to hedge and switch to 9's (one series colder). I then put 1,500 miles on my bike and not one mile of them gave me the same feeling performance wise as I had with my bike running the stock plugs. So I switched back - it's as simple as that.

If all of the threads about detonation hold water, then I might have put my bike at higher risk of damage. Thus my comment, "If I break it I'll fix it" cause that's just what I'll do. I know what facts (or more so initmations) are out there, and I prefer running the plug that for my judgement makes my bike perform the best. For me that's the stock 8EK plug. I'm back on them now and my bike does perform better - my judgement of course. If I put a more free flowing aftermarket exhaust on my bike, I may reconsider going back with the colder plug this summer when it gets hot. For now heading into winter, I personally don't think I'm in any danger point.

That's about it in a nutshell.

Jazzman

·
Registered
532 Posts
I pulled 2 of my 10s yesterday after about 1000 miles, and they both looked just slightly black around the end of the threads, but the electrodes didn't look too bad. The outboard one in the rear cylinder looked about the same as the 8 in that same spot when I pulled it to replace it. I'm still using the FI2000 set at 2,4,3 so I could still remove some fuel if I want to. I really haven't noticed any performance drop since I switched.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
jazzman said:
As much as I hate to even mention it, this ties back to a long thread (with some follow up threads as well) on potential (speculated) piston damage as related to running the JSD mod. There I've said it - but please no posts about the JSD mod. Lets not start that again.

Some riders have switched to colder plugs as an extra protection against detonation. Potential detonation is under question and it's a somewhat complex issue as it's tied to exactly what total mods you have on your bike, what fuel to air settings you have, and what grade/quality of gas you run. In seeing a number of posts with people switching to colder plugs (most are going from stock 8's to 10's, which are two series colder), I decided to hedge and switch to 9's (one series colder). I then put 1,500 miles on my bike and not one mile of them gave me the same feeling performance wise as I had with my bike running the stock plugs. So I switched back - it's as simple as that.

If all of the threads about detonation hold water, then I might have put my bike at higher risk of damage. Thus my comment, "If I break it I'll fix it" cause that's just what I'll do. I know what facts (or more so initmations) are out there, and I prefer running the plug that for my judgement makes my bike perform the best. For me that's the stock 8EK plug. I'm back on them now and my bike does perform better - my judgement of course. If I put a more free flowing aftermarket exhaust on my bike, I may reconsider going back with the colder plug this summer when it gets hot. For now heading into winter, I personally don't think I'm in any danger point.

That's about it in a nutshell.

Jazzman
Jazzman... I am running the JSD as well as several other mods, to include a Dyno tuned PCIII... I pulled my plugs when this topic came up and they are a little on the black side but dry... I stuck with 8's. So far I have about 5000 no issues...

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One key thing in making this assessment. To make a judgement from color or soot or wetness, you have to pull the plugs hot and fresh from a good run cycle on the motor. One thing I've seen first hand is that when plugs have just been sitting there for a while, they are going to grey out and not look like they would when their are hot and igniting in the chamber. Case in point. When I pulled my original 8EK's (the ones that came in the bike new) they were fairly black and wet. My bike had been hot and running right up to the time I pulled them. Fifteen minutes after pulling them they were stone grey and didn't look anything like when I pulled them.

Now you can jump on me cause I pulled my 9EK's the other day after my bike had sat for over two days and was stone cold. After I did it I kind of kicked myself because having another check point would have been good data. But I had made up my mind from riding those 1,500 miles on the 9EK's and frankly, since I've put the 8's back in I like my bike better.

So I'm afraid I can't answer you Hal on how they looked because I didn't really do it the way I should have. I got up and it was raining so I thought I'll go change my plugs - and I didn't run my bike before pulling them. Should have though cause now I've left you guys hanging on a thread that I started. :(

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well, I don't really think you left us hangin'. I think each bike is going to be different, depending on the climate, mods, etc. IMO, the best way for each person to tell what their bike is doing is to pull their own plugs and judge for themselves. I know I would never make a critical decision about my bike based solely on someone elses findings. There are just too many differing factors involved. But that's just me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
jazzman said:
After 1,500 miles on the 9EK plugs (one series colder than stock) I've gone back to the stock 8EK's. I'm happier. My bikes happier. If it breaks, I'll fix it.
I had the 8 ek plugs installed in my bike and looked at my plugs with lamonsters map and JRs map installed. Both times I verified my plugs a dark brown color to black. I have stock modified exhaust , set disabled and modified air cleaners with the maniac mod. I was at a friends house out in the country were i could make a couple of passes before i pulled plugs. they were not new plugs so take it for what its worth. I then installed new cr7ek plugs repeated the process and they were a light tan to light brown. The bike runs better with the cr7 plugs against my friend who also has a 109 but totally stock. Jrs map runs better in my bike by about 2 to 3 bike lengths over Lamonsters map. Not saying Lamosters map isnt good just saying Jrs works better in my bike. With my set up this way I can beat my buddy by about 5 to 6 bike lengths in what we think is about a 1/4 mile. We weigh about the same but i was surprised at 2000 rpm roll ons his bike stays right beside me until middle of second gear I slowly start pulling away . My bike feels so much faster because of instant throttle response , but I would say now the SET valve does seem to work on his bike is what I think helps him . If we roll on at 4000 in 2nd gear I pull away much faster with better results at the end of the pass .

·
Registered
86 Posts
J R said:
Wahtever works good man :bigthumbsup: :doorag: :super: Dont matter how ya win just that ya win :bigthumbsup:
Wasn't trying to contest What jR was saying because I agree with him on the heat ranges of plugs. Most of the time in drag racing colder plugs work best .

·
Registered
666 Posts
is the cr7  a hotter plug?

you went hotter rather then colder?

what was the temp that day
i look at these things becuse they play a big part at the track ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
maniac m109r said:
Wasn't trying to contest What jR was saying because I agree with him on the heat ranges of plugs. Most of the time in drag racing colder plugs work best .
Just wanted to add that the testing I did was at 70 degrees and 93 octane fuel , so this could result in a different out come when it is 95 degrees.

·
Registered
666 Posts
maniac m109r said:
Just wanted to add that the testing I did was at 70 degrees and 93 octane fuel , so this could result in a different out come when it is 95 degrees.
OK i see

thats one of the big problems with some mods that ppl try and copy ..what works somebody in Texas will not work the same in lets say NY

temp and sea level plays a big factor in performance

·
Registered
666 Posts
i think its a must have  you need a colder plug here
the heat  just kills HP and the humidity let's not even get in to that ::)

on my skis ( my 1300gpr ) i run 10 in June,July,aug  then drop down to the 9 in the cooler temps
i have,84mm pistons, ported cyclenders,the head is decked,RIVA FMS, prop at 15/25  GPS speed at 79mph
plus i  index plugs that never hurts :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
J R said:
I dynoed my 8,s with my set up and swapped out to the 10,s while the bike was sitting on the dyno and had zero changes in h.p or tq :dontknow: Just passin along what the deal was with my paticular bike on that day.Both sets looked perfect.Freakin Perrys bike looked like the plugs had never ran before even with a rich map in the bike...All I can post is what I have seen and tried and learned over the years :dontknow: ;) I honeslty in my heart of hearts tho feel putting 10,s in your bike theres no way in hell you would lose h.p or tq period.you wouldnt gain anything but you wouldnt lose anything and you are much safer if your out running the bike hard and your in a southern climate.If I was upnorth or somthing id reconsider or if I ran really super safe maps on the rich side.I tend to play with stuff alot so I like a little insurance..Just me :bigthumbsup:
I agree, If you do install them I would go some where you can run it hard and shut it off to get a reading. I think you would be pretty safe installing Jrs map and trying them. I am at a elevation of 780 feet here. I wouldn't worry to much about trying it , in our manual Suzuki recommends one of the three cr7,cr8 ,cr9.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
most of the newer plugs designed with platinum tips or iridium tips really help the auto companies extend the service life out to 60k or 100k miles. they still recommend shorter service for bikes though, I guess they are harder on them. :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts