M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had new HC Velocity 2-1 installed today and there is already a gold haze line where the 2 go into 1. Is this a defect, installation problem or is that just the way it is. Just a bit pissed after dropping a grand today so anyone with experience on this would be a big help.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
It could be poor chroming, but it's caused by engine heat. Do you have any kind of fuel manager on it, and what other mods do you have?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
That should have taken care of it if you added enough fuel. Lean causes them to run hot and will cause even the best pipes to turn gold then blue.

I'd contact Hard-Krome and see what they have to say about it. They guarantee their pipes not to blue.

http://www.hardkrome.com/

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I am thinking oil cooking off.

not your motor oil, but on the pipes from shipping.

metal parts will often be wiped or sprayed with machien oil for protection during storage in inventory and shipping.

If you do not clean off the oil and let them heat up, you cook it off. It will smell a little of WD40 burning and will leave a brown/gold haze.

Use some chrome polish and see if it comes off. If so, this is likely your issue. if that does the trick, clean the rest of the pipes before you get the rest of it hot enough to cook off the oil there.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
A local shop (who is not in business anymore) used to use WD 40 at the attach points to help them on easier, but did not remove had problems with this with customers. Maybe why they are not in business anymore??? Glad I put my own pipes on first. SR is right, they need to be cleaned before install and after before firing the bike up, hand have oil on them also.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I also have the velocity. Its not the pro. I've got around 25,000 on them and they hold up well. They still look like they just came out of the box. Its a good chrome so I say chrome polish.

PS. It will get louder as time goes on. Nice pipes

·
Registered
961 Posts
I found that if you don't seat the muffler into the head pipes far enough you'll have this happen. I took a 2x4 and a rubber mallet and tapped the muffler into the head pipes and tighten the clamps well and haven't had any issues of the pipe turning at the connection point.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
^^^:agree:^^^ and i also noticed that you might have a slight zinging noise at about 3500-3700 RPM if your muffler isnt seated into the head pipes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No help with the chrome polish. HC rep told me to take a picture and email it so that doesnt sound promissing. Going to shop that did install in the morning to see what they have to say before leaving town on vacation. Will post pic in about a week so everyone can take a look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts