M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was the last test n tune of the season at Atlanta Dragway so I decided I'd head over and make a pass or two. Of course I've never made a pass or two at a real sure nuff dragstrip, so this turned out to be very interesting. The interesting part being how much stickier a dragstrip surface is compared to good ole Joe Public roads.

I got there pretty late in the afternoon and waited for them to finally work some motorcycles in. I was in the right hand lane and didn't even attempt a burn out because sticking too hard was on my mind and not what I wanted to do at all. I should have taken another clue and fed it into my mental calculations though cause when I got staged and went to pick my foot up off the pavement, I couldn't get it up. It was stuck to the ground. But no I ignored this last and important piece of data and stuck to my plan of launching at about 3,000 rpm.

Yep - 3,000 rpm! Yellow, yellow, yellow - hit it - green, and I go completely vertical. Now I'm not talking any foot or several feet off the ground. I'm talking 12 o'clock straight up vertical. Needless to say this pretty much capped this run as a highlight - and bagger.

Too bad too as my R/T was .019!

That was pretty much the highlight (and learning experience) of the day. I was only able to get one more run in and was so gun shy that I had a .824 R/T and ran pretty slow at 12.895 for the 1/4 (carrying all 275 lbs of me).

Even at that I caught everybody's attention cause a number of people came over to talk and they all said the same thing, "man you were straight up in the air." Like I didn't know that! However quite a few of them made me feel a little better saying either "I looked good doing it" or commenting "I must be a pretty experienced rider to have stayed with it as well as I did." As for me, I felt silly at the time, and wiser afterwards!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yup! The O'l launch pad gets pretty sticky as the day goes on. :D

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
At least your out there trying it out to see what it will do!!I bet it came down hard. :duck: :duck:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
squirrel said:
At least your out there trying it out to see what it will do!!I bet it came down hard. :duck: :duck:
Thanks squirrel. The landing was some where in between because I was back into the throttle a bit on the way down, trying to continue with the run.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Try slipping the clutch a little as you leave(feathering it). :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ron S said:
Try slipping the clutch a little as you leave(feathering it). :bigthumbsup:
Yeah, somewhere in the excitement of my first run ever, feathering the clutch a bit just seemed to fall out of the equation. Besides dumping the clutch too fast, I'm sure I also cranked the throttle way too hard.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yeah,the more you run the bike the better it will get. Hang in there,your allready over the hump now. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Good on you Jazz for giving it a go..lot going on in your head at the tree and so easy to make a mistake..glad you and bike are OK!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
WOW
That is my fear on just a regular road... I would really fear the strip!
Glad you held it together, I am glad you were not hurt

Sledzep

G

·
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: I give you credit for sticking with it. Good for you. That is alot of bike to hop up vertical and then to give it another shot. You da man bro.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Dang, I've been wanting to run down to Rockingham Dragway, but the thought of that happening scares the crap out of me. I can only imagine doing like I did at my first stoplight run and just dumping the clutch at the same time I smacked the throttle. I don't want to end up rubber side up and ruin my ride. I don't think my insurance company will be too willing to pay for a spill at the track.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Medic1210 said:
Dang, I've been wanting to run down to Rockingham Dragway, but the thought of that happening scares the crap out of me. I can only imagine doing like I did at my first stoplight run and just dumping the clutch at the same time I smacked the throttle. I don't want to end up rubber side up and ruin my ride. I don't think my insurance company will be too willing to pay for a spill at the track.Â
You should give it a try Medic. It's a blast. My personal advice on running your first couple of times is don't do like I did my first time. After a lot of thought, I think my desires for the fast time I wanted to run over-rode my track experience (which was none). I think I was a little concerned about looking like Granny Goose and sitting at the starting line and I just hit it too hard. I learned you have to work yourself in to good/fast times. You can't set the world 109 record on your first number of attempts. If you don't know how your bike fits into the track conditions, play it extra safe until you figure them out. Stay in the moment and don't let adrenaline change your thoughts on what you want to do. I messed up on a couple of those points and just missed an unfortuate (and embarrassing) accident by a few inches.

I also learned you can start from essentially an idle on the 09 and still run in the 12's and get very good experience under your belt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts