M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Victory Cross Country
Hey guys, I have been riding a C109RT since April 08 & racked up 24,000 miles. I too have decided to go to a hardbagger. I thought about Corbin bags & fairing but they want megabucks & the inside of the fairing is too plain. After 2 years, I finally got the C to fit me (new seat, risers, pegs). I would have never bought the bike if I had first taken a test ride. The best thing by far is the raw power, but I have been having issues with motor vibration that the dealer can't figure out so I have decided it is time for a change. Test drove a 2011 Victory last week. Best way I can describe it:like going from a V8 hot rod to a V6 powered Cadillac. The ride & comfort of the seat was unbelievable. Has self canceling "metric" style turn signals & the handling is unlike anything else I have ever ridden (I've had 8 other bikes). She can lean way over but it's like the front end & rear end are "all one unit", maybe due to the cast aluminum frame? The motor actually hangs from the frame & has solid mounts. You feel just a very slight vibration in the grips & floorboards at times but drop into 6th gear (overdrive) & it's like cruising in a Lazy Boy! The torque kicks in at mid & high range, that is the big difference with the C. All the reviews I've read declare the Victory with better power than HD, so no way would I go to HD, especially since this is $1000 less than the Street Glide & includes standard cruise control!
The fairing layout is nice but lacks any storage pockets. Nice sound system that can interface with your I-pod & the radio has speed sensitive volume control. The bags are enormous & lot easier to operate than HD. Best part is, for a $1700 upgrade, you can get a detachable, color matched trunk for the back. Did I forget to mention that the running boards are the size of skateboards? Even the passenger boards are big.
After a week of checking out the Victory forums, I am convinced that these are reliable & low maintenance machines, also easy to work on. The only negative is wind buffeting but that is an easy fix with taller glass & lowers. I am heading down to the Vic store today to put down a deposit & get one ordered. The dealer is going to consign my C on the showroom floor at no cost to meHopefuly, I will get close to retail for the bike instead of a lowball trade in value.
Did I forget to mention, if the Vic is in for service, the dealer will supply a loaner bike?
Now that is what I call customer service. When I bought the C, I took it in the shorts & HD dealers want nothing to do with metric bikes for trades. Hopefuly, this will all work out (but it will drain the pocketbook!).
I would agree that the Gold Wing is the ultimate comfort machine but not the one for me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
good luck with the new VIC they are sharp looking bikes, as much i love my RT its just not the bike for everyone.

ya gonna let it go as is? or try and recoup some of your aftermarket expenditures?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,140 Posts
Good luck with it bro, from everything I've heard they are good bikes. I have a friend that has had a Vegas Jackpot for about 5 years now and he says he'll never sell it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a pic of the Victory I have on order. I decided to go for the quick release tour pack shown on the bike. When it is off, the Cross Country looks a lot like a Street Glide/Users/jokerman/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Aug 29, 2010/081010middle1.jpg

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Believe it or not before I bought my 9 in Nov of 2009 I actually was really taken by the Skulls Edition Cross Country. I've NEVER been a bagger type guy before but with the more aggressive paint scheme and all the technology Victory had seemingly put into this bike I was thinking about it.

Also did you know that this bigger touring bike is only 1 lbs. (Yes 1 freaking pound) heavier than our bikes 765 lbs / 764 lbs ? That's because of the aluminum frame it has. So it's not a big heavy, clumsy boat to ride.

The only negative that I keep hearing about it from the Victory forum was the wind buffeting that many experienced with the fairing design. Many were complaining about it and talking about mods. to make it more tolerable :dontknow:

I can understand the draw to a bike like this however.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts