M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you have have ridden with upsized tires, like the 160/280 or the 160/300 crew. Have anyone of you gone back to the stock width and noticed a difference in handling?

I'm getting back to riding after a little time off and forgot how the fat boys I have felt and was thinking about going back to stock to make handling more inuiative.

LB

Registered
2009 / VZR1800
For those of you have have ridden with upsized tires, like the 160/280 or the 160/300 crew. Have anyone of you gone back to the stock width and noticed a difference in handling?

I'm getting back to riding after a little time off and forgot how the fat boys I have felt
I am curious
what your findings will be, I am riding 160/260,
and will definitely not go back on the front one...
Cheers! 馃嵒

Registered
I have Coastal Moto rims, ten inch rear, 4.25 front. 140/280 combo. Yeah, it handles more like a Mack truck than a motorcycle. Long bike, low, fat tires. Still, not going back to stock, ever. I can push the bike over far enough that 280 rear is worn all the way over to the sidewall/tread junction, almost as much as the center is. Actually, it needs replacing soon because the left side over near that junction, is putting tread wear bars on the ground. My favorite curvy road is around a lake here, and I guess I go around it counter-clockwise too much. Next tire, I'll put in some time going the other way once in a while. LMAO!

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
I have the 280 rear 10 inch rim. The front is the stock width.. I had 160 on the front for two tires, then dropped back to a 150. I didn't think it would make much difference but the slightly narrower front does make it handle a little better, and the ride stayed the same as it did with the 160.

Overall though it's hard to tell for sure. Anytime you put new tires on they always feel different/better than the old worn ones.

Registered
I have Coastal Moto rims, ten inch rear, 4.25 front. 140/280 combo. Yeah, it handles more like a Mack truck than a motorcycle. Long bike, low, fat tires. Still, not going back to stock, ever. I can push the bike over far enough that 280 rear is worn all the way over to the sidewall/tread junction, almost as much as the center is. Actually, it needs replacing soon because the left side over near that junction, is putting tread wear bars on the ground. My favorite curvy road is around a lake here, and I guess I go around it counter-clockwise too much. Next tire, I'll put in some time going the other way once in a while. LMAO!
Is your 140 a front tire? I assume its a Metz also?

Registered
Just bought a 109 with a 280 on the back. It sucKs, the damn thing turns like a truck. I can't wait til I can get a normal sized on there.

Registered
2009 / VZR1800
Just bought a 109 with a 280 on the back. It sucKs, the damn thing turns like a truck. I can't wait til I can get a normal sized on there.
Interesting, does it have that 280 on the
OEM rim? Very few guys here had that...

Registered
A 280 on the stock rim is the worst thing you can do. It changes the profile of the rounded part of the tire. It has to curl inward too much to fit on a 8.5 inch rim. Also causes funny wear pattern.

Yeah, mine with a 280 doesn't handle light. But I can still hustle it around my favorite curvy road without difficulty. I'll never go back to the stock rims and tire sizes. It's not a sport bike.

Registered
My bike's had the Metzeler 160/260 combo for a few years now.

Aesthetically, the wider tires look great. But in terms of riding characteristics, I'm one of the oddballs who hasn't enjoyed the change, at least in regard to the front 160. I instantly noticed that the steering felt a little muddier/heavier, and I mostly do city riding where that's more noticeable. It's not horrible, just noticeable.

Another small issue: I suspect most people prefer the 160 because it smooths out the ride a little. However, it's difficult to explain, but I feel like my bike "bucks" more now, front-to-rear, in response to slight bumps in the city pavement -- such as going through intersections that have slight perpendicular tire ruts from cross traffic -- I feel like I'm riding a horse until I get thru the intersection. It was one of the first things I noticed, on the first ride after installing the Metzelers. Smoother, but more bouncy. It didn't used to do that before with the stock tires -- it used to simply feel rough, but more controlled. I can only presume this is due to the extra meat on the front tire, somehow transferring more energy to the rear wheel, perhaps paired with the front forks not being set up ideally.

The other issue in the back of my mind is if I get into an accident, if insurance will note the oversized front tire and use it as an excuse to deny any claims. With my luck, they would.

That said, I don't regret trying it, but I'll likely be heading back to stock sizes once this set wears out. At that point, I'll have more of a definitive answer. Maybe I'll put the stock tires on and regret it, not sure yet. To each their own pleasure -- I'd probably prefer the wider tires if I mostly did country riding.

Registered
I doubt that having an oversize front tire would be noticed by the insurance company if you crashed your bike, unless the cause of the crash was the front tire.

My only experience with a largely oversize tire on the Nine was when I mounted a 255 car tire on the back. No problem on the curves but it was very unstable on anything but smooth and level pavement.

Registered
I may go back to a stock size front tire when I need a new one. While I like the look, of the 140 up front, when viewed as a whole, the front tire appears to be larger in diameter than the rear 280. And I prefer them be the same diameter, or the front slightly smaller. I need a new rear soon, and so the front will now be around the same size due to wear, compared to a new 280 rear.

Registered
My bike's had the Metzeler 160/260 combo for a few years now.

Aesthetically, the wider tires look great. But in terms of riding characteristics, I'm one of the oddballs who hasn't enjoyed the change, at least in regard to the front 160. I instantly noticed that the steering felt a little muddier/heavier, and I mostly do city riding where that's more noticeable. It's not horrible, just noticeable.

Another small issue: I suspect most people prefer the 160 because it smooths out the ride a little. However, it's difficult to explain, but I feel like my bike "bucks" more now, front-to-rear, in response to slight bumps in the city pavement -- such as going through intersections that have slight perpendicular tire ruts from cross traffic -- I feel like I'm riding a horse until I get thru the intersection. It was one of the first things I noticed, on the first ride after installing the Metzelers. Smoother, but more bouncy. It didn't used to do that before with the stock tires -- it used to simply feel rough, but more controlled. I can only presume this is due to the extra meat on the front tire, somehow transferring more energy to the rear wheel, perhaps paired with the front forks not being set up ideally.

The other issue in the back of my mind is if I get into an accident, if insurance will note the oversized front tire and use it as an excuse to deny any claims. With my luck, they would.

That said, I don't regret trying it, but I'll likely be heading back to stock sizes once this set wears out. At that point, I'll have more of a definitive answer. Maybe I'll put the stock tires on and regret it, not sure yet. To each their own pleasure -- I'd probably prefer the wider tires if I mostly did country riding.
A heavier tire/wheel {unsprung weight} will be slower to react to a bump and then will over stroke the suspension due to the added inertia. Hence the rougher ride

Registered

I'm getting back to riding after a little time off and forgot how the fat boys I have felt and was thinking about going back to stock to make handling more inuiative.

LB
I went back to stock and I like how the bike handles much better.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got word from Coastal moto that my rims aren't available anymore so they can't make me a replacement set... bummer, love that style. Got figure out some new rims to order...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts