M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at the Go Pro cameras. I know a few of the guys had them at the meet. But was wondering what model you guys had and what software you were using to edit and video that was shot on them. I want to get as much info as I can before I spend the money. Want to be prepared for the riding season this year and the Meet. Also where did you buy it.

Thanks
Len

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I have also been looking at getting one of these little cameras. To me, they take awesome video. The cheapest I have seen the model that I would get is at e-bay. They go for about $230 shipped. I would like the Motorsports version and it definitely has to be HD capable of up to 1080 resolution video. As far as video editing you have multiple products to chose from. GeorgiaRoller has a lot of knowledge in this area as he has been producing great videos for quite some time. Send him a PM and he can probably tell you everything about them.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I have to say that probably the only thing that has kept me from going ahead with the purcharse is waiting to see if someone puts a group buy on them so that additional money could be saved:bigthumbsup:. I brought up the idea once and it was even included in a poll so let's see how it goes:D.

·
Registered
202 Posts
if you have a Costco near you go there. The have the Go Pro HD for $179. It includes like four different mounting options. That's on my wish list too!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
if you have a Costco near you go there. The have the Go Pro HD for $179. It includes like four different mounting options. That's on my wish list too!
That is definitely a great price. Do you know for a fact that this price is for the 1080P or the 720p and not for a lower resolution? I tried to seach on their website but is not listed as one of the cameras they carry:dontknow:.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Got mine a year and a half ago right before I went to Dragon tail. Did not no much about it, I hurried up throwed it on my buddies Harley and had him follow me up the Dragon. Other than being a Pain to turn on to right loctaion to film using the tiny screen. So other than me cursing it @ the begining and end of every start and stop. It did make a badd azz video. I did finaly messed around enough to get it on DVD and loaded on computor. I am not the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to putors either. I am taking it to motel and going to practice with it this week and probably get a hold of GR for good info on editing etc. He is very good at it. I think everybody needs one.:bigthumbsup:
Dam Guy

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I bought the Motorsports HD off e-bay for 230.00 shipped. Was the cheapest I found. I use the movie maker software on my pc to edit. I haven't had much chance to use it cuz of the weather, but I did hook to the windshield of my truck and did some recording and editing to get used to it. Good quality for sure. I know Georgia Roller and Bobbymac have them so I am sure they will be chiming in.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i have the gopro helmet hero...love the lil thing, i also just use the software on comp. nothing special but havent been riding to much either, i have set it up to my truck to get some video, and its awesome......i got mine for stupid cheap...i went with that quibids, and suprisingly won... i bought a 4 dollar pack i think it was and won the camera for 10 bucks, so total shipping and everything was only like 50 bucks, no kidding..

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
i have the gopro helmet hero...love the lil thing, i also just use the software on comp. nothing special but havent been riding to much either, i have set it up to my truck to get some video, and its awesome......i got mine for stupid cheap...i went with that quibids, and suprisingly won... i bought a 4 dollar pack i think it was and won the camera for 10 bucks, so total shipping and everything was only like 50 bucks, no kidding..
$50? Dang, that is cheap. Just curious, how exactly does that "quibids" work? I went in there once expecting it to be like an e-bay but found out that you had to buy some type of points or something of that nature:dontknow:.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
ya you have to buy bids. its not at all bad, if you do your homework. the price of the camera shows just under retail price... so i figured iam goin g to get it... so i figured what the hell, bought a bid pack and started bidding. (bids are like .60) well i started bidding and won, at just over 10 dollars. so i was only into it like 50 bucks, but if i would not ahve won you have the option to buy the camera, however they put the money youve already put out towards the purchase... i figured id take a chance and it worked for me. ive gotten a few other things from there as well. heads up, if your gonna sit there and bid, it takes awhile.. took me about 30 minuetes, but i made out..shipping is kinda slow, usually recive your items within 2 weeks..

Needless to say ill be bidding with them next time i am gonna buy something. worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Im also in market to get a gopro hd
(videos I have seen with the wide angle are amazing)

we do alot of dune riding on the quads and it would be awesome to chase the kids around carving sand and some big air shots from beside them

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought the GoPro HD (1080p) last fall from Cycle Gear with one of their coupons, but I've not had time to play with it extensively.

Keep in mind that they usually don't come with a memory card, so you'll have to buy one separate. Some cards don't work well in it, so do some research. I'm using a 16GB SanDisk Ultra (15MB/s) with no issues -- there are better cards, but I got this one on sale. To run at full HD, you'll want a card with fast data transfer (the higher the "megabits per second" the better).

Probably not much help, but I use iMovie to edit the files on a Mac.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I bought the GoPro HD (1080p) last fall from Cycle Gear with one of their coupons, but I've not had time to play with it extensively.

Keep in mind that they usually don't come with a memory card, so you'll have to buy one separate. Some cards don't work well in it, so do some research. I'm using a 16GB SanDisk Ultra (15MB/s) with no issues -- there are better cards, but I got this one on sale. To run at full HD, you'll want a card with fast data transfer (the higher the "megabits per second" the better).

Probably not much help, but I use iMovie to edit the files on a Mac.
I bought a 32 gig class 10 memoery card. The min the recommend is a class 4. I found on on e-bay for 69 bux.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I have both the Contour HD and GoPro 1080p. Both are great at taking videos but I prefer the simplicity of the ContourHD. A simple slide to start and stop the recording compared to the little button on the front to turn on the GoPro and little button on top to start and stop recording. I hate the auto shut off on the GoPro( not that you cant change the setting).

Best Buy now sells the GoPro for $225. It came with a helmet mount and head strap and other stick on mounting. Walmart sells SDHC 8 gig class 4 card for $20. It's more than enough to record all kinds of vids since the battery only last about 2hrs tops.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I think you guys covered it all real good. :bigthumbsup:

I'm probably gonna get a second one like the new 960p one. I only film in 720p anyways.

Just play with it, experiment with it, challenge yourself, take time in editing them and have fun. It's a nice way to have good times on the bike, with friends, on great roads recorded so you can relive it again (LIKE IN THE MIDDLE OF FREAKING WINTER!!!! :mad:)

·
Registered
643 Posts
okay reading over this thread and it was mentioned about how the cameras turn power on and then about how to start and stop the recording. DO either the GoPro or Contour HD cameras have remote activated options??

in other words, if i am riding along and am about to hit a stretch i wanna film & i have the camera located low and towards the back of the bike am I gonna have to pull over, stop the bike, contort myself to reach the camera to start recording?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
in other words, if i am riding along and am about to hit a stretch i wanna film & i have the camera located low and towards the back of the bike am I gonna have to pull over, stop the bike, contort myself to reach the camera to start recording?
Yes, yes you will, at least with the GoPro. I wouldn't describe it as "contorting" however. :eek:

·
xxx
210 Posts
okay reading over this thread and it was mentioned about how the cameras turn power on and then about how to start and stop the recording. DO either the GoPro or Contour HD cameras have remote activated options??

Those two don't have remotes. However, the Drift HD 170 camera does. I just saw it for the first time at the bike show here yesterday so I haven't researched it much yet. But it has a small screen for playback so you can decide if you want to keep a video without having to wait until you're back at your computer later. The lens can also rotate so that the camera doesn't have to be mounted straight up and down. It is shaped like the Contour HD and has a sliding switch so you know when it's on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts