M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to mount this under the tach or on the bar. I did a search, but didn't see anything. I thought I remembered seeing someone fab one up? Could be wrong though. What options do I have?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am sorry to ask but what is the benefits of having the gipro? I mean from what I can tell it only tells you what gear you are in. Is there more to it then what I think? thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I am sorry to ask but what is the benefits of having the gipro? I mean from what I can tell it only tells you what gear you are in. Is there more to it then what I think? thanks
along with being a gear indicator, the gipro is a ATRE, which basically means it is a timing retarder eliminator and bypasses the rev limiter on the bike. it allows the bike to fully rev up to redline which in turn allows the bike to make more power. it also smooths out the jerkiness of the bike when in lower gears and low rpm's like when cruising in a parking lot.

personally, i think that a GiPro is MUST HAVE for the 109. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, will the DLP part work with a 3 in riser? It doesn't look like there is much room there between the tach bolts and the speedometer.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
along with being a gear indicator, the gipro is a ATRE, which basically means it is a timing retarder eliminator and bypasses the rev limiter on the bike. it allows the bike to fully rev up to redline which in turn allows the bike to make more power. it also smooths out the jerkiness of the bike when in lower gears and low rpm's like when cruising in a parking lot.

personally, i think that a GiPro is MUST HAVE for the 109. :bigthumbsup:
Wow that sounds pretty good. So unstead of listening to the motorcycle engine to make gear changes you look at the gipro indicater. Now how presise is this device? I see afew people on here claim to be at 120+ mph in 3rd or 4th gear. and one one question the 9er only has 5 gears, so why are some people saying 6?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Wow that sounds pretty good. So unstead of listening to the motorcycle engine to make gear changes you look at the gipro indicater. Now how presise is this device? I see afew people on here claim to be at 120+ mph in 3rd or 4th gear. and one one question the 9er only has 5 gears, so why are some people saying 6?
you change gears whenever you want, the gipro does not tell you when to change gears, it merely displays what gears you are in. the device is very accurate. the people that are saying 6th, are probably just messing around. the 109 only has 5 gears and when you set the gipro to the proper setting for the 109 (setting #4) then it properly registers whatever gear you are in from 1-5.

·
Registered
843 Posts
you change gears whenever you want, the gipro does not tell you when to change gears, it merely displays what gears you are in. the device is very accurate. the people that are saying 6th, are probably just messing around. the 109 only has 5 gears and when you set the gipro to the proper setting for the 109 (setting #4) then it properly registers whatever gear you are in from 1-5.
ok Windy one more question if you dont mind:D Is it really safe in the long run to have a gipro running on your bike? I mean there are reasons for having a rev limiter set in place. For example to not have your engine running at a stressfull level, but to have no limits people will be running high revs all the time in the wrong gear.

·
Registered
595 Posts
ok Windy one more question if you dont mind:D Is it really safe in the long run to have a gipro running on your bike? I mean there are reasons for having a rev limiter set in place. For example to not have your engine running at a stressfull level, but to have no limits people will be running high revs all the time in the wrong gear.
GI-pro does NOT remove the rev limiter. Suzuki builds a speed cutoff into the bikes ECU that makes the rev limiter cut in at 132 mph in 5th gear. The GI pro removes this restriction but the engine will still cut out at Redline in the other gears (not sure if you can hit redline in 5th gear due to wind resistance at 150 mph)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Interested in GI-pro but have Kewl Metal Tac Housing on top of KM risers...haven't seen any mounting options with this set up...Ideas?

Have had the JSD on with no problems...but the engine RPM's rise @ a stop when in neutral...lowers back down when I pull in the clutch...I don't like that.

·
Registered
843 Posts
GI-pro does NOT remove the rev limiter. Suzuki builds a speed cutoff into the bikes ECU that makes the rev limiter cut in at 132 mph in 5th gear. The GI pro removes this restriction but the engine will still cut out at Redline in the other gears (not sure if you can hit redline in 5th gear due to wind resistance at 150 mph)
Thanks Syco for the response. From what I learned from you and windy is that the gipro just takes away the speed limits in 5th gear. but it also smooths out the ride of the 1st & 2nd gear by increasing the rev limit in those gears?

·
Registered
595 Posts
It does nothing to the rev limiter.....what it does do (besides removing the top speed restriction) is advance the timing of the ignition spark in gears 1-3

Suzuki programmed a "timing retard" (slight delay in the firing of the spark) in the first 3 gears. I've heard that it was done for emissions, fuel economy, or to soften power for new riders....honestly I have no idea what the REAL purpose is but the built-in delay does NOT affect 4th gear. The TRE tricks the ECU by sending a constant 4th gear input signal so that the ignition spark is the same in gears 1-3 as it is in gear 4, thus eliminating the ignition retard.

Eliminating the ignition retard is supposed to smooth out engine power and throttle response in the first three gears. An advanced TRE (ATRE) includes a function that disables the device when the transmission is in neutral because the advanced timing cause high/rough idle when idling in neutral

*As a side note: some people suggest going down one step to a colder spark plug after installing any TRE as the advanced timing makes the engine slightly more susceptible to pinging. Probably not critical but I did use a colder plug in mine just to give me a little bit of a safety buffer

·
Registered
843 Posts
It does nothing to the rev limiter.....what it does do (besides removing the top speed restriction) is advance the timing of the ignition spark in gears 1-3

Suzuki programmed a "timing retard" (slight delay in the firing of the spark) in the first 3 gears. I've heard that it was done for emissions, fuel economy, or to soften power for new riders....honestly I have no idea what the REAL purpose is but the built-in delay does NOT affect 4th gear. The TRE tricks the ECU by sending a constant 4th gear input signal so that the ignition spark is the same in gears 1-3 as it is in gear 4, thus eliminating the ignition retard.

Eliminating the ignition retard is supposed to smooth out engine power and throttle response in the first three gears. An advanced TRE (ATRE) includes a function that disables the device when the transmission is in neutral because the advanced timing cause high/rough idle when idling in neutral

*As a side note: some people suggest going down one step to a colder spark plug after installing any TRE as the advanced timing makes the engine slightly more susceptible to pinging. Probably not critical but I did use a colder plug in mine just to give me a little bit of a safety buffer
got it thanks again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts