M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my GIpro Gear Indicator w/ATRE from DLP, along with the bracket to mount it under the Tachometer. Me and a friend of mine who is very mechanically and electronically inclinced installed it last night. We followed the directions to the letter. However, when installed the GIpro will not work as long as the kickstand is down. I can't even start the bike up to allow it to warm up before taking off without having to be on the bike with the kickstand raised up.

Is that the way the GIpro w/ATRE is supposed to work, or did we do something wrong. If anyone has any suggestions or answers to this problem, please reply.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
is your bike in neutral when you are attempting to start the bike with the sidestand down? the bike cannot be in any gear other than neutral when the sidestand is down and start.

and once also be sure to have the gipro on setting "4"

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
is your bike in neutral when you are attempting to start the bike with the sidestand down? the bike cannot be in any gear other than neutral when the sidestand is down and start.

:agree:That was my first thought....my second thought was...don't you have to synchronize the gear indicator with the bike? Maybe it thinks it is in a different gear.:dontknow:Long shot. Third might be...Could you of grabbed the wrong plug when you connected it under the seat?

Here's the install thread:
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83088&highlight=GIPro+install

I don't have one yet, but want one BADLY!!! But I have read how many people have installed them..And stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night:D:joke:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Can you or someone else explain in more detail about the GIpro being on seeting 4?. I don't remember reading anything about that in the instructions, so I am a bit confused about what you meant by that. Does it mean that I need to get the bike in 4th gear to syncronize the gearing?

As for the bike being in neutral...we made sure the bike was in neutral several times while trying to figure out what the problem was.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
There are gear maps already loaded into the device. It "should" have come ready out of the box set on #4

Read the User Manual again to make sure it is using #4

http://www.gi-pro.net/download/GIpro-S0x_UsersGuide_en.pdfhttp://www.gi-pro.net/en/download.htm

5.2. Reviewing and Changing TRE mode
1. Activate the display (refer to section 5.1)
2. Press and release the button.
The current TRE mode is displayed (blinking) for 3 seconds. The indication can be one of the followings:
- : Normal Mode, TRE is not active
4 : 4th Gear Map used when gear box is not in Neutral
Recommended setting for DL1000, B-King, all Cruisers
5 : 5th Gear Map used when gear box is not in Neutral
Recommended setting for GSXR1000, GSX1300R, GSF1250
6 : 6th Gear Map used when gear box is not in Neutral
Recommended setting for other Suzuki models
7 : Special mode to by-pass 180 km/h top speed limiter
Recommended setting for Suzuki models sold in Japan (e.g. GSX1400)
3.a. If you don't want to change the TRE mode, wait until the display stops blinking (3 seconds). The display goes back to normal operation.
3.b. If you'd like to change the setting, press and release the button while the display is blinking. You can cycle through the four TRE modes by pressing the button repeatedly.
When the desired TRE mode is blinking on the display, wait for three seconds. The unit will work according to the TRE mode selected, and the display goes back to normal operation.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I am going to guess that you have it plugged into the wrong set wires for the gearbox.

Also the GiPro will work just fine out of the box (default is 0 setting ie: ATR disabled) Setting four (4) is for the 4th gear map to remove the rev limiter in 5th gear on the M109.

To adjust the GiPro setting you just lightly push in on the button on the bottom of the LED display case (just above where the cable goes into the unit) and it will flash momentarily what setting it is at....just keep pressing and releasing the button till you come to the setting you choose to use. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Can you or someone else explain in more detail about the GIpro being on seeting 4?. I don't remember reading anything about that in the instructions, so I am a bit confused about what you meant by that. Does it mean that I need to get the bike in 4th gear to syncronize the gearing?

As for the bike being in neutral...we made sure the bike was in neutral several times while trying to figure out what the problem was.
t-bone has posted the directions for the gipro below. there is a small sized hole on the back of the unit that requires you stick a pin or similar through it to get it to the settings mode. then you simply follow the instructions below for setting it to "4" which is what is required for our bikes.

even if it is not set on "4" the bike will start and run so that is not the cause of your problem. you might have connected the gipro to the wrong plug underneath the tank, or just have the plug connected incorrectly. i am sure you will fix it, once you get back under there. post some pics if you run into a problem and we can look at it and guide you through it.

There are gear maps already loaded into the device. It "should" have come ready out of the box set on #4

Read the User Manual again to make sure it is using #4

http://www.gi-pro.net/download/GIpro-S0x_UsersGuide_en.pdf

5.2. Reviewing and Changing TRE mode
1. Activate the display (refer to section 5.1)
2. Press and release the button.
The current TRE mode is displayed (blinking) for 3 seconds. The indication can be one of the followings:
- : Normal Mode, TRE is not active
4 : 4th Gear Map used when gear box is not in Neutral
Recommended setting for DL1000, B-King, all Cruisers
5 : 5th Gear Map used when gear box is not in Neutral
Recommended setting for GSXR1000, GSX1300R, GSF1250
6 : 6th Gear Map used when gear box is not in Neutral
Recommended setting for other Suzuki models
7 : Special mode to by-pass 180 km/h top speed limiter
Recommended setting for Suzuki models sold in Japan (e.g. GSX1400)
3.a. If you don't want to change the TRE mode, wait until the display stops blinking (3 seconds). The display goes back to normal operation.
3.b. If you'd like to change the setting, press and release the button while the display is blinking. You can cycle through the four TRE modes by pressing the button repeatedly.
When the desired TRE mode is blinking on the display, wait for three seconds. The unit will work according to the TRE mode selected, and the display goes back to normal operation.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts

no, you do NOT need to put the bike in 4th gear. the gipro does not need to be synchronized, it already has the maps built-in. it is a true plug-n-play device.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is working perfectly now!!!

Hey, thanks you guys. I went home during lunch today, and checked everything I could think of. I pulled the GIpro off from the velcro backing and pushed in the button on the bottom, and then made sure the bike was in neutral, and everything worked perfectly...just like it was designed to.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you ever have a problem with high idle from the GIpro after startup....just turn the bike off (completely powered down with the ignition key) and wait about 10 seconds then start up again. The computer reboot will fix it. I've only had to do this 2 times since I installed it a year ago.

Occasionally at startup it will display the wrong gear but will correct itself after the first gear change. Also listen closely during your first ride for any signs of engine ping....very rarely the use of a TRE requires the installation of a colder spark plug.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,149 Posts
Hey, thanks you guys. I went home during lunch today, and checked everything I could think of. I pulled the GIpro off from the velcro backing and pushed in the button on the bottom, and then made sure the bike was in neutral, and everything worked perfectly...just like it was designed to.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Keep in mind that if you didn't change it to mode 4 per T-bone's instructions above, all you have is a gear indicator. It's delivered with the TRE function turned off, so you have to set it to mode 4 to activate it and get the additional performance.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Glad to hear that you have it all fixed up and running correctly. Was your bike in gear at first?
that's what i think was happening. i think they might have overlooked the fact that the bike was still in gear and thought it was in neutral when they were trying to fire it up with the sidestand down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts