M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my bike is somewhat apart, I went ahead and added my connection for my heated gear (I use gerbing but I'm sure widder, etc. is fine). Looks like there is enough room between the seat and the plastic to pull the connection out when needed. This worked fine on all my previous bikes..outta sight outta mind until you need it.

There has been a lot of discussion here about winter gear so I won't bring up all the details again. Main thing in my opinion is warm hands and all else is second.

G

·
I did the same thing with the same hook up. When you don't use it, it just tucks away. It is nice that the seat just pops on and off for that purpose alone. We rode today in 35 degrees - no shield and the heated gear worked like a charm. My gloves are due in by next Friday. Can't wait. That is the only part of me that was cold today and man was it cold.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds like you are almost set......dont forget , Falconer that your CORE temp is actually the most important . Someone on the board had posted about a study in which they put folks in freezing conditions with and without gloves and measure temps etc. Bottom line was that if you keep your torso or main core body warm, it keeps the blood going to the extremities warmed as well. Just a thought.....

I sure am glad we have it nice down here (Houston, never freezes, really). Enjoy... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I'm set, I've done a few below freezing all day rides. I just didn't wanna repost a bunch of the same mess. I wouldn't do extreme cold without my jacket liner :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
In regards to your pipes, I saw a set of stockers on Ebay for a couple hundred if you still wanted the JR mod done. Sure beats the $1400 Suzuki wants for them.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ended up getting some cobras They will make do till I get some new pipes next year

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I got a ? about your heated gear. I read a review somewhere about the Gerbing Heated gear that stated if you bikes alternator put out a typical 250 amps that it would drain your battery because the gear took such a large draw. It was also stated the the recommended minimal amprage was 300. Can you guys give me the real deal on this issue because i love to ride and don't want a little cold weather to slow me down. Thanks

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I've used my Gerbing heated gloves and socks on my Suzuki Volusia many times before, with not drainage going on. I've never used it with my 109 yet, but I'll assume if my Volusia had no issues, this one won't either.

I do have another question for those who use the Gerbing gloves frequently. What is the easiest way you've found for quickly disconnecting if you stop for gas or something. I always found it a pain in the butt to disconnect, have cables loose, and re-connecting. I ran the cable through my jacket sleeves, but that is a pain in itself, because you have to feed them through each time you ride, and take them out later.
Has anyone run them up via the handle bars, or any other place or way of connecting them easily.
:dontknow:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine plug into the jacket liner. I just put up with it. Not sure of an easier work around.. I just take em off, gas up or whatever and put em back on.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Which brand is it that has the glove connects built into the sleeves of their jackets? Is it Widder, or does Gerbing do that? Just plug the power cable from the bike into one connection, and power the gloves and socks from that.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I think this year, I'll try running the power along the handle bars, then just connecting the gloves there. I remember running it through the jacket liner was a big ugly issue for me. Everytime I wanted to ride without the heat, I had to remove the cable from the jacket, etc. I'm sure for most it was a whopping 2 minute ordeal, but it just got to me. My jacket didn't have it built in.
I also have the variable temperature control that runs the socks and gloves separately. The functionality of the Gerbing set up rocks! It really works well. Just not keen on the wire through the jacket thing.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Shriker said:
Sounds like you are almost set......dont forget , Falconer that your CORE temp is actually the most important . Someone on the board had posted about a study in which they put folks in freezing conditions with and without gloves and measure temps etc. Bottom line was that if you keep your torso or main core body warm, it keeps the blood going to the extremities warmed as well. Just a thought.....

I sure am glad we have it nice down here (Houston, never freezes, really). Enjoy... :bigthumbsup:
Yea, I read that too and it makes a lot of sense ...........but that study doesn't take into account for wind, I don't think. With the gear I have I can cruise around at 35-45mph in 40ish degrees temps for hours (just don't stop for long or you bake) but take the speed up to 65+ about 20min or so till my hands start to get cold. All the time my "core" is warm and cozy :p

Needless to say I am looking at some heated gloves and maybe even a heated jacket liner :bigthumbsup: I intend to ride every chance I get unless theres snow :doorag:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yeah! The ONLY parts of my body that get cold,are my hands,and feet. The rest stays pretty warm with insulated gear on. Bonehead is right on about the wind, there's a BIG diffrence between standing still,and going 65mph. in 30 degree weather. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts