M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post but I've been checking out the forums for about a month now and it seems like a great forum and very educational on the bike itself. I've been looking into getting a bike after selling my first bike last summer, a 2007 Yamaha FZ6, and now I miss having something to ride all the time. I wanted everyones opinion here on whether this bike would be right for me. I know I'm coming off a sportbike, but I'm looking for something more comfortable for longer rides, and something I don't have to rev up to 8k rpms to start to feel the torque flow. I think the M109r is the sexiest cruiser I have ever seen and one of the few I could see myself riding.

I'm 20 years old and 6' 3" and 210 pounds, will I fit on this bike comfortably? I live near Columbus, Ohio so I still got a few months of winter left, but I plan on buying a bike the first week of March. I've read about a few problems with this bike and it's got me wondering whether I should go for it or not. I'm looking at a gray 2008 with 3k miles and a orange 2008 with 1.5k miles and a Suzuki touring windshield. I really don't want to have any problems with this bike as the Yamaha I'm coming off of had a clunky gearbox, but it was bulletproof and that's how the all were. I don't plan on running this bike hard, no track days or racing people, but mostly commuting an hour one way, and maybe a couple trips in the summer around 350 miles.

I have one more question, I was looking at the dealership and stock pictures of the M109r and it looks like some exhaust pipes look different than others do stock. Heres a picture of the bikes I'm looking at and let me know why the pipes look different on both bikes. I already have a list of mods if I do get this bike including engine guards, highways pegs/cruise boards, EVO shift kit, and maybe a different seat.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
The orange bike looks like it has Vance & Hines Big Shots on it While the grey one appears stock. The orange one also has ISO grips on it which IMO is another plus. Just less money you have to spend modding. Both bikes look very nice. How much are they asking for both? I love mine, don't let some of the problems you have read about stop you from buying the bike. They are amazing machines. At you height, I think you'll be comfortable on the bike.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have one more question, I was looking at the dealership and stock pictures of the M109r and it looks like some exhaust pipes look different than others do stock. Heres a picture of the bikes I'm looking at and let me know why the pipes look different on both bikes.
The pipes on the first photo are stock and the ones on the second photo are Vance & Hines (aftermarket).

edit...You beat me to it B :D

·
Registered
709 Posts
Don't even look at the orange, get the grey. You won't regret it - much faster!

·
Registered
81 Posts
nice bikes. You'll love it. Going from a Sabre to a Busa to a TLR this bike rocks. Plenty of tourque and fun to drive and veyr cumfy.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are both the same price, $8990. Is that pipe on the Orange one better than stock, because from the pics the stock looks nicer but I like the windshield and grips on the orange better.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
They are both the same price, $8990. Is that pipe on the Orange one better than stock, because from the pics the stock looks nicer but I like the windshield and grips on the orange better.
Those big shots are nice, and loud! and w/ the baffles out will rattle the windows. If you like loud, they are the way to go. Between the 2, I would buy the orange one. More mods, less miles, no brainer. Prices are lil on the high side. That's what I paid for mine band new.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
The V&H pipes sound a lot better than stock. With the baffles in they are not too loud, but take them out and they are very loud. And they shave about 30 pounds off the weight of the bike.

As far as the bike itself, if you treat it right and don't abuse the shifting, it will give you great service. Like most forums you see the problems anyone has listed, which makes it seem like there are a lot of them. Folks don't post about things that don't break. I have over 22,000 on mine and it shifts and works fine. It seems to actually work better once you get beyond 15,000 to 18,000 miles.

:welcome: to the forum too!

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
orange one will be louder because of the pipes...... The grey one will be alot quieter because of the pipes... Grey has Kury front pegs and a rear brake cover but appears stock... like they said the orange has the pipes and pegs...
I would say go start each one and see if you want the noise or not... both look nice.. think they are a bit on the high side price wise but your gonna get that from a dealer....
O and :welcome: Ohioan from a fellow Ohioan... there's a few of us, but all on the east side.... Good luck and for sure hit me up if I can help.. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey CMHGUY, I live in Hilliard so I'm on the west side, but I next year I plan on going to school in Newark, going to Columbus State right now, so I'd drive that way anyways. I'm gonna see if I can get it for $9300 OTD, think they will bite for that offer if I'm already getting my financing through somewhere else? I also was wondering if I started them both up and liked the sound of the stock pipes better if they would be willing to put the stock pipes from the gray M109r on the Orange M109r for me?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would highly suggest riding them both. Listen to the difference of each exhaust ...most here mod their exhaust to make it louder -at the very least. Not a V&H guy myself and would rather do the shorty mod to the stock pipes. -again personal preference.

Both have low mi but 1.5xx mi is basically new.

:welcome: take your time and gl :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Hey CMHGUY, I live in Hilliard so I'm on the west side, but I next year I plan on going to school in Newark, going to Columbus State right now, so I'd drive that way anyways. I'm gonna see if I can get it for $9300 OTD, think they will bite for that offer if I'm already getting my financing through somewhere else? I also was wondering if I started them both up and liked the sound of the stock pipes better if they would be willing to put the stock pipes from the gray M109r on the Orange M109r for me?
yea... and as far as the pipes, it never hurts to ask.. or just get the orange one and pick up a set of stock pipes from some one and sell the vance and hines pipes... and come out making some money... Most like the Vance and Hines pipes the way they sound... Stock is a bit quiet for me.. but its your bike..... :bigthumbsup: u could pick up a set of stock pipes $100 bucks.. just gotta hope someone local has a set.. shipping is a bit spending cause they are Heavy !!

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you post an ad for stock pipes most people will give them to you if you're willing to pay shipping. If you can get financed, I would suggest getting an open loan so you can take your time and find the best deal with the mods you like. Remember that shipping a bike is roughly $400-$500 east to west coast. A lot of deals out there right now. Good luck with your choice and yes the M109 is the bike to have. Scott

·
Registered
420 Posts
Both are nice looking bikes, i would get the orange, less miles. You will probably change your mind a hundred times on the mods you want, one day you will see this and want it until you see something different on someone eleses bike. Its your choice, both are nice. I would look around on the net and see what prices are on other 9s and take that to the dealer and tell them you can beat it by this amount and see what they say.Just my .02 worth. By the way welcome to the forum, bunch of great and helpful people on here.

·
Registered
194 Posts
which ever one you choose is up to you. But either way you made a great choice by choosing the M109R

good luck
BigdaddyKing

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If you get the orange one, you will be able to paint the major part of the bike in black and get some more HP ..... :D:D
:welcome: to the forum ..... ;)

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I don't know, I might be a little bias here, but to me it seems that the Gray one looks meaner :clap2:. It could be the stance (she really knows how to stare you down), she's looking always looking forward to her next challenge. On the other hand, the Orange one looks shy, looking away as if she's a little ashamed (head down and never a good sign):joke:. I wonder what happened to her--has she been beaten by a Gray:dontknow:. More miles = More Victories:joke::joke::bigthumbsup:.

Advanced :congrats: and Good luck on your purchase and you will be happy with whichever you select. Now on the price, I think you can do way better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
you mentioned highway pegs....I'm 6'2" and I have highwaypegs on mine....I'm taking them off. Unless youre gonna get a set of cobra engine bars (which imho would ruin the look of the bike, Pegs are gonna be way too close for your legs.....I almost have to bend my knees MORE to use the pegs than in riding position....but try it, might fit different for you...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts