M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to try one of the gel seats offered by Suzuki? I can't seem to enjoy a ride of any duration before I get a major pain in the butt. The dealer never carries the things so I can't try one out and they tell me they do not intend to have any in stock.

G

·
Got the full cut, carbon look from Oneida Suzuki this week in the mail. Have only put about 100 miles on the bike so far with it, but it is better than stock. I am 6', 267lbs and my hiney is happy now. Firmer than stock, but not hard as a rock. You do get both driver and passenger seat and for less than $200, IMO, it is a good deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I have been looking at Corbin seats, but they can be a little pricey. Maybe later...... Just need to get some relief for the ol' back end. I am also 6' and 230 lbs. Do you get more reach with the full cut?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Could you take a picture of the carbon look? I've been debating getting the ful cut gel seat, just not sure if I want regular or carbon...

Can you describe the carbon one?

G

·
Rosco, Yes you do pick up about 2" more leg room with the full cut seat.

I still have not figured out posting pictures yet, but if you PM me your email address, I will e-mail you a picture of the seat or anyone else for that matter. I do not ride 2 up no the 109 so the rear pillion is still wrapped up in the bag from when it came in. It does have a nice embroidered M109R logo on the back of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered the gel seat from Oneida. It's currently on sale for $174. With shipping it came to $204, That's still less than the $219.95 on the Suzuki Site and a whole lot cheaper than the Corbin seats. I figure for $200 for both seats it's definitely worth a try. Anything to make the ride more enjoyable. I love my m109, but my butt doesn't. :D Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I got a full cut carbon look one, and love it. gives a little more room and a lot better ride.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Do your butt AND wallet a favor. Goto http://www.saddlemen.com and look at their raw gel pads: http://www.saddlemen.com/gelpadsfirst.html.

Buy which ever size you want and install it in your stock seat. Takes about 10 minutes.
1) remove seat from bike
2) remove staples holding material over seat pan (may not need to fully remove cover...just remove section required to get to the foam area where you want to install your gel pad)
3) take electric carving knife (if available) or utility knife/razor (if electric one not available) to remove sections of foam where you want to install the gel pad
4) insert gel pad into new hole you just made in step 3
5) use staple gun to attach material back to seat pan
6) reinstall seat
7) ride in comfort now

I bought the "large" gel pad for my 800. The raw gel can be cut easily. I cut it in the middle (side to side) and placed one piece on top of the other in the seat where I removed the foam. The gel is about an inch and a half thick or so...so I've effectly got 2-3 inches of gel pad in that section of my stock seat now and it is a very, very comfortable ride.

I can go ~220 miles on the highway before I need to switch to reserve....and my butt is never sore.

Cost of this mod for me was ~$65 (gel & shipping). They no longer list their raw gel prices..you have to call, but I'm sure it's still much cheaper than buying a whole new seat.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Bruno said:
Rosco, Yes you do pick up about 2" more leg room with the full cut seat.

I still have not figured out posting pictures yet, but if you PM me your email address, I will e-mail you a picture of the seat or
Posting pics is just as easy as e-mailing them. Let me help you out.

1. Sign up for free account at www.PhotoBucket.com and log into the account

2. Click "Browse" button which will pull up a list of your folders and files on your computer. Just need to know where the pic is. Please be sure to keep the pics around 800 x 600 pixels or so. This is a good size to view on the web.. not too small, not too big.

3. Once you find the pic you are wanting to upload in step 2, you select it by double clicking it, and then click "Submit" This will upload the image to your Photobucket account.

4. Once the photo is uploaded, it will give you 3 options for linking to the image. The first gives the plain URL, the second gives the HTML code, and the third (the one for this site) gives the IMG tag. That is what you will want to use to attach the file to a post here. If you copy that link, you only need to paste it into your post here. It will already have the [ IMG ] [ /IMG ] tags around it. That's all there is to it. Give it a try. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
rosco54 said:
Has anyone been able to try one of the gel seats offered by Suzuki? I can't seem to enjoy a ride of any duration before I get a major pain in the butt. The dealer never carries the things so I can't try one out and they tell me they do not intend to have any in stock.
It's absolutely incredibly a must buy... no numb butt at all (just back from this trip)... :bigthumbsup:

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3661.0

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm here a little late...haha

anyway, has anyone had any sweating problems due to the "unbreathable" gel seat?

i guess thats Corbin's big argument.....
(but i still cant justify the triple - or quadruple cost for the Corbin)

I'm just scratching my head on which one to get....my wallet is pushing toward the Suzuki full cut, but, i don't want to regret getting a Suzuki gel seat...

any advice? or experience in this issue?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
rosco54 said:
I just ordered the gel seat from Oneida. It's currently on sale for $174. With shipping it came to $204, That's still less than the $219.95 on the Suzuki Site and a whole lot cheaper than the Corbin seats. I figure for $200 for both seats it's definitely worth a try. Anything to make the ride more enjoyable. I love my m109, but my butt doesn't. :D Thanks again for your input.
You could have gotten them from DLP for 5 bucks more and helped support the site... ::)

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
z said:
I'm here a little late...haha

anyway, has anyone had any sweating problems due to the "unbreathable" gel seat?

i guess thats Corbin's big argument.....
(but i still cant justify the triple - or quadruple cost for the Corbin)

I'm just scratching my head on which one to get....my wallet is pushing toward the Suzuki full cut, but, i don't want to regret getting a Suzuki gel seat...

any advice? or experience in this issue?
it's no more sweaty thatn the stock seat. For those that want to see pics of the carbon gel seat, look at the high res pics of my bike in the Fine109's section

·
Registered
272 Posts
I bought the Suzuki gel seats and have logged on approx. 2000 miles on it. As far as comfort goes, it is the best money I have spent on the bike. I rode 300 miles pretty much non-stop last Sunday with absolutely no problems. I couldn't say that when riding the stock seat. I had used Suzuki's gel seat on a dual-sport DR650 I had and it was very good as well. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
BlkM109® said:
it's no more sweaty thatn the stock seat. For those that want to see pics of the carbon gel seat, look at the high res pics of my bike in the Fine109's section
also, as a side note: that is very cool how your tank has a "S" incorporated into your paint scheme!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Magnum said:
I bought the Suzuki gel seats and have logged on approx. 2000 miles on it. As far as comfort goes, it is the best money I have spent on the bike. I rode 300 miles pretty much non-stop last Sunday with absolutely no problems. I couldn't say that when riding the stock seat. I had used Suzuki's gel seat on a dual-sport DR650 I had and it was very good as well. :bigthumbsup:
thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts