M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the gear oil in the final drive on my bike today.

I changed it once at the 600 mile oil change and now it's at 6000. I put Mobile 1 75w-90 synthetic in it the first time as well as today.

My question is: when I changed it, the oil that came out had a pearly look to it where the new oil is clean. The magnet on the drain plug had what (to me) was a good amount of metal paste. It almost covered the indention in the end of the plug.

Is this normal? Should I switch to a different gear oil?

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
That's normal. When you get chunks and splinters on the magnetic plug, THAT's when you need to start worrying.

-Josh
:agree: I am sure it will look a little better the next time you change it. Things will have seated/meshed much better.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
When I hit my 600 mile I changed right to Mobile 1. Synthetic oils are made to carry the junk in the oil to the filter.
What I have done to my two nines was change the oil at around 1000 to 1500 miles to flush out all the dyno oils. The gear oil in the hub doesn't all come out because its thick. So I do the flush. After the flush on the third oil change I had a clean magnet

Hopefully you will see a clean magnet on your next change.

I change my oil every 4,000 and change my hub oil with every rear tire change. Cool huh?:joke:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I use the lucas oil 80-90. seems to work really well. I don't get much paste or grindings. I also think my hub stay s cooler than most.

When filling it do you just put the oil in till it's full or do you spin the tire?

While I'm filling I lightly spin the tire to drive the oil around the gears. Also some oil will then be on top the gears so it's not starved for oil while the gears are moving. When I see the level come to the bottom of the fill plug I keep the tire spinning and put the plug in. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but just something I do. The only worry I've had was leakage through the seal, but I have changed it twice over 5,000 miles and not had any problems yet. Knock on wood.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I do the same Huff. I spin the tire.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The spin the tire trick works good for me also. And I haven't seen the shavings/paste on the drain plug since I changed to Lucas sythetic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gear oil and hub question

If anyone could spread their expertise, I would gladly appreciate it. My mechanic and I just changed my rear tire from a 240 to a 280. it didn't go as smooth as planned. We ended up taking the hub off to get the rim/tire on, otherwise I'd would not have fit. Yeah, the shaft came out from the u-bolt, and we had problems. But after getting advise on this forum on how to put it back on, it was fine. My question is, after draining the oil from the gear panel and the hub, how do you get the oil back in to both of these places? And would you recommend re-using the oil that was drained? Thanks for the help, as you can see I'm a novice when it comes to working on my 109.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
That's normal. When you get chunks and splinters on the magnetic plug, THAT's when you need to start worrying.

-Josh
:agree:

The first change will have silvery mush/paste on the plug, that's just things getting to know each other. But it should show less on the next change. There will probably always be some as there's a lot of metal in there churning around. But unless it's got actual metal bits in it, the mush is normal.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
If anyone could spread their expertise, I would gladly appreciate it. My mechanic and I just changed my rear tire from a 240 to a 280. it didn't go as smooth as planned. We ended up taking the hub off to get the rim/tire on, otherwise I'd would not have fit. Yeah, the shaft came out from the u-bolt, and we had problems. But after getting advise on this forum on how to put it back on, it was fine. My question is, after draining the oil from the gear panel and the hub, how do you get the oil back in to both of these places? And would you recommend re-using the oil that was drained? Thanks for the help, as you can see I'm a novice when it comes to working on my 109.
What do you mean "gear panel"? What is that?

The final hub is easy, just take out the fill plug on the side of the drive. But, that gear panel is unknown to me. The secondary runs in engine oil.

·
Registered
665 Posts
"the oil that came out had a pearly look to it"
When I did my gear oil change, I noticed the same and thought why on earth would the oil formed into something like this. I was using the 80W90 oil.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

-Josh
Totally :agree:

·
Registered
49 Posts
What do you mean "gear panel"? What is that?

The final hub is easy, just take out the fill plug on the side of the drive. But, that gear panel is unknown to me. The secondary runs in engine oil.
Thanks TRod, I meant to say the secondary gear, but words lost me for the moment. After taking the fill plug out, how do you fill it with gear oil, being that the bike is up right. I could only assume that I use a bent funnel, or something like that to fill it. If you could educate me, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Thanks TRod, I meant to say the secondary gear, but words lost me for the moment. After taking the fill plug out, how do you fill it with gear oil, being that the bike is up right. I could only assume that I use a bent funnel, or something like that to fill it. If you could educate me, I would appreciate it.
If you have gear oil that is in a standard bottle with the tapered tip on the end of it, just squirt it in there.

If you need a funnel it doesn't need to be anything special, just a funnel. You only fill it to the bottom the of the fill hole with the bike upright.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts