M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just discovered site. Really good as this is going to be an important mocycle.
I have a few strange questions compared to what has been discussed so far.
What is the 109 like for pillion riders? Or is it just a solo power cruiser?
I dont like (visually) anyway the height of the pillion footrests, I think an exhaust change would be needed.
I can only afford one bike that has to be an everyday rider.
As I have only ever had standard type bikes would I as a 64 year old, with not a lot of upper body strength, find the weight of this cruiser bike well placed or a pain in stop/start traffic and slow turning a trauma. We have tighter and smaller lanes than in the US.
Sorry if these are basic questions but this is the only cruiser I have been really tempted to own, oh sorry I like the Rocket but its outa my range.
Cheers Scootaman

G

·
I cannot comment with regards to pillion comfort. For me, this could be an everyday rider. The weight is low and well placed and because of this it is easy to maneuver. It certainly feels lighter than it is. The controls allow a little adjustment which should allow you to make it more comfortable for you. Good Luck with your decision. If it is to buy a M, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I do use mine as an everyday ride and find it comfortable. (The giggle factor might have something to do with the comfort) I'm under-short and over-round, but have no problems getting my baby thru traffic in Indianapolis. It is lighter than it looks, but the big meat on the rear tire will take a little getting used to.

Can't speak for passanger comfort, but I have a feeling there isn't much to be had there.

The 109 is great choice!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
849 Posts
And a G'day to you!
The bike is an easy handler and feels a hundred pounds lighter than it is. You do have to hold on when you gas it, but I'm older than you and find that's real doable.
Jer

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i use it as an every day rider as well. i don't know if it'd be too much for a 64 year old...as i've never been 64 before :p. i guess it just depends what kind of shape you are in. even though it's a heavy bike, it's well balanced and not hard to lean during the turns. it is torquey in first gear at low speeds, however, so just be careful and have good clutch control. the taller you are, the more it will help at lights, as this is a wide bike and might have you supporting some weight if you had short legs. i'm 6'1", 35 years old, and don't notice the weight at all unless i'm trying to back it up an incline or something.

·
Registered
422 Posts
G'day from WA
Where the bloody hell are ya? :D
My wife thinks the pillion is fine other than there being no sissybar.
Everytime I touched the throttle she just squeezed me tight something I enjoy :D but not very relaxing for her.
As a result I've added my own sissybar.
As others have said the bike is a lot lghter than you think just depends on what you ride now.
My old bike was a 04 Mean Streak and that felt heavier off the stand than this bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 109 is well balanced and there are a few older people on this site that has some so I dont think you would have a problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for interest. It would appear to carry its weight well.
I was interested Phaed said it even leans well, given that rear tyre.
The bottom line is to ride a demo so I will try and do just that. The laregest I have ridden before has been a Low Rider with touring bags/screen etc. Normally my bikes weigh about 240KG.
Aus I'm in NZ.
A M109 costs 20K NZ, a Rocket 30K a VROD 32K,VTX 19K, our dollar is
worth .61 US cents.
Cheers Scootaman

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh OK mate
Yeah I'm from the west island ;)
Lucky you're not here as demo ride would be impossible.
All bikes are sold and the waiting list to get one is a couple of months.
I was over your way a month ago and walked into a dealer in New Plymouth.
They were organising a ride day for all interested so you're lucky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Aus. That sounds like this bike is going to be big!!
Here in NZ amongst the Japanese manufacturers Suzuki will not be beaten for price as they are the only one which is owned out of Japan and not by an importer.
So they source surplus stock from anywhere and sell competitively, this has made them regard NZ as their place and they rather walk over all the others. Honda has just started a campaign this year.
The M109 is only $1000 above the C90 , which when you think of the R&D involved is sharp pricing. I guess NZ has always been a price driven market.
A rubber 1200 Sportie with pipes is the same price and a Triumph Speedmaster with pipes a $1000 below,so the M109 is a big bang for your buck .
Taranaki is my second home, so I like New Plymouth.
Cheers mate
Scootaman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts