M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone give a step by step direction on how to remove the gas tank, I want to install some lights on the bike. (my main concern is do i have to empty the tank before removal)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
These will be brief but should help.
1. Remove driver seat
2. remove the bolt in the middle of the tank holding it to the frame
3. you may want to remove the plastic body work under back edge of tank. Not requirde but will make it easier
4. wiggle the tank while lifting
5. disconnect spedo wiring harness under front of tank, and fuel line under the back of the tank. Its a quick dissconnect so it won't spill much gas. Also another connection.

You dont need to have it emply but it will make things easier for you. And like I said this is very basic and not in depth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
slickdj96 said:
These will be brief but should help.
1. Remove driver seat
2. remove the bolt in the middle of the tank holding it to the frame
3. you may want to remove the plastic body work under back edge of tank. Not requirde but will make it easier
4. wiggle the tank while lifting
5. disconnect spedo wiring harness under front of tank.

You dont need to have it emply but it will make things easier for you. And like I said this is very basic and not in depth
When you said "not in depth," you weren't kidding. I believe you forgot the MOST IMPORTANT PART... disconnect the fuel line! :eek:

Why not just follow the instructions in the owner's manual? There is a step by step right in there with pictures and everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Wanted said:
When you said "not in depth," you weren't kidding. I believe you forgot the MOST IMPORTANT PART... disconnect the fuel line! :eek:

Why not just follow the instructions in the owner's manual? There is a step by step right in there with pictures and everything.
Whoops I edited my post to correct the problem. I guess that part is obvious and thats why I forgot it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
This is the easiest tank I have seen to remove and I love the quick disconnect fuel line. You won't have any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Haven't looked at this yet but will doing several mods as soon as all the stuff I ordered comes in. Here's the question;

When they say quick disconnect do you just pull, pinch some tabs or what? I know the manual has cautions on not pinching the line but just refers to it as a quick disconnect. So what do you do to disconnect it??

May be a dumb question to some but I plan on doing a lot or work on this bike myself and would appreciate it if you guys with more skill would help us out with a little more verbage. Not a lot just enough so anyone would be able to do the mods or even simple things like take off covers and tank etc. You know it we want it so give! :D
 

·
M109Riders Founder
Joined
·
8,014 Posts
This is part of my FI2000R instructions.

1. Remove your seat and side covers so that you can get the tank off. You could leave the side covers on but it's just a lot easier with them off.

2. Remove the one bolt that holds the dash down and slide it forward off of the pins and move it out of the way so you can pop the tank off.

3. Remove the rear tank bolt (12mm) and lift the back of the tank up high enough to disconnect the fuel gage connector and the fuel line.
This is where it would be nice to have a helping hand to hold the tank up while you unplug the brown connector and the quick coupler for the fuel. The brown connector came off real easy but the fuel connector was a real pain for me. :realmad:
You need to push on the two blue tabs on the connector and then pull back. You're going to loose a little fuel so put a rag down and it's a good idea to have a tank that it pretty low on fuel before you try this. That tank can get pretty heavy. ::)
Now that you have those off just slide the tank back and lift it off of the rubber stops and set it out of the way somewhere.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Thanks for the added info on the connector - you're golden

Appreciate some more info if you have a minute - one FI2000r how hard was it to adjust and what settings (if any) did you use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
Lamonster said:
This is part of my FI2000R instructions.

1. Remove your seat and side covers so that you can get the tank off. You could leave the side covers on but it's just a lot easier with them off.

2. Remove the one bolt that holds the dash down and slide it forward off of the pins and move it out of the way so you can pop the tank off.

3. Remove the rear tank bolt (12mm) and lift the back of the tank up high enough to disconnect the fuel gage connector and the fuel line.
This is where it would be nice to have a helping hand to hold the tank up while you unplug the brown connector and the quick coupler for the fuel. The brown connector came off real easy but the fuel connector was a real pain for me. :realmad:
You need to push on the two blue tabs on the connector and then pull back. You're going to loose a little fuel so put a rag down and it's a good idea to have a tank that it pretty low on fuel before you try this. That tank can get pretty heavy. ::)
Now that you have those off just slide the tank back and lift it off of the rubber stops and set it out of the way somewhere.
Wow, that's a just a tad easier than removing the tank off of my VTX 1800C. THAT was a total PITA!!!

Can you drain the gas from the tank after it's removed without turning the tank upside down? I'm getting my bike painted on monday so need to get the tank as empty as possible. Of course it's nearly full and I guess I can just ride it till it's empty but want other options! :doorag:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
M109Rider said:
Wow, that's a just a tad easier than removing the tank off of my VTX 1800C. THAT was a total PITA!!!

Can you drain the gas from the tank after it's removed without turning the tank upside down? I'm getting my bike painted on monday so need to get the tank as empty as possible. Of course it's nearly full and I guess I can just ride it till it's empty but want other options! :doorag:
I suppose you could hook a 12v to the fuel pump somehow. Probably more trouble than it's worth though. Best bet would be to prop it up upside down and let it drain real good that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
PretentiousBastage said:
Wanted I'd be a little concerned about sparks and blowin' myself to smithereens .....not you? :eek:
Dave
Yes... that's why I don't do it. :p
 
G

·
Why not just use one of those cheap hand pumps like they use for kerosene heaters. I think they are about $2.oo. You just stick one end in the tank and siphon it out into a gas can. You could put the tank on a piece of carpet or cardboard and roll it on it's side as it gets close to empty and keep siphoning until it gets empty. They have a battery operated one for those with not so good grip strength. Please no snide remarks. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
Bruno said:
Why not just use one of those cheap hand pumps like they use for kerosene heaters. I think they are about $2.oo. You just stick one end in the tank and siphon it out into a gas can. You could put the tank on a piece of carpet or cardboard and roll it on it's side as it gets close to empty and keep siphoning until it gets empty. They have a battery operated one for those with not so good grip strength. Please no snide remarks. :p
I just picked up a siphon today in fact. It was about $7 and has a rubber bulb in the middle, kinda like one of those blood pressure tester thingys has (technical term). :p
I'll get it most of the way drained that way then turn the tank upside down to get the last of it out. Monday she goes in for painting. Now I just have to figure out how to get the taillight out of the rear fender so I can remove the fender too. The rest should be really easy to figure out. Thanks for the feedback guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
you dint need to remove the taillight assembly to get the back fender cover off. they come off as a unit. you cannot remove the taillight until you remove the rear fender cover. here's how you do it:

1. remove front seat

2. remove rear seat/cowl panel (2 hex screws)

3. remove side panels by removing bottom corner hex screw, then pop 3 clips loose, then slide forward off the barbs on the bottom edge of the gas tank (not as hard as it sounds)

4) remove 4 hex screws in rear fender cover

5) remove 2 philips screws pointing up in underside of steel fender, near the edge of the license plate mount

6) slide the fender cover slightly back and tip the front (side near the seat) up to disconnect the rear light harness, then lift fender cover off

the taillight itself is attached to the inside of the fender cover with 4 screws.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
I tried to pull my gas tank last weekend as the airbox duct the the left aircleaner came off. I couldn't see how to remove the quick disconnect to the fuel line, and didn't want to wreck it, so I just jacked up the aft end of the tank with a couple of 2 by 4's to get the duct back on. I went to the stealer today to get the recall done, and asked them how to get the quick disconnect loose. There is a blue end to the coupling. You squeeze the two blue "fingers" together to get the hose to release. You can release the hose at either end, which ever is easier for you. Unplug the electrical connector and you are good to go. This is once you have the bolts loose, and you have disconnected the big electrical connector to the fuel gauge, speedo, etc.
Cheers
John.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
syxkees said:
you dint need to remove the taillight assembly to get the back fender cover off. they come off as a unit. you cannot remove the taillight until you remove the rear fender cover. here's how you do it:

1. remove front seat

2. remove rear seat/cowl panel (2 hex screws)

3. remove side panels by removing bottom corner hex screw, then pop 3 clips loose, then slide forward off the barbs on the bottom edge of the gas tank (not as hard as it sounds)

4) remove 4 hex screws in rear fender cover

5) remove 2 philips screws pointing up in underside of steel fender, near the edge of the license plate mount

6) slide the fender cover slightly back and tip the front (side near the seat) up to disconnect the rear light harness, then lift fender cover off

the taillight itself is attached to the inside of the fender cover with 4 screws.
Uhhhh, thanks, but from my sig pic you can probably tell that I figured that out nearly a year ago. I posted that message last July! Now that paint job is gone and I'm getting a new one. I guess you can say that I know how to take my bike apart. No wheels, rear differential, forks, triple trees, handlebar controls, etc. etc. etc. Now whether or not I can figure out how to put it all back together or not is yet to be seen. :D



Actually the bike is now even more torn down than in the pic above as my other painted parts like my rear fender and radiator shroud are now also off the bike. In fact, Oak has them!! :D :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
The first time I removed the tank on mine, I propped the rear of the tank up with a piece of wood, and then I could easily dieconnect the fuel line and electrical connector.
The only problem I had with mine was the loose fuel line fell down my sleeve, and I got an armful of unleaded fuel! :D

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
yeah i know you posted a long time ago, i was just adding info that may help others who are reading the thread for help, just as i was when i noticed that it needed to be said that the taillight is part of the fender assembly. i really like the black cherry on your bike, it came out great. you should take a close-up pic so we can see the finish on the paint, i think i see flake in there :bigthumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top