M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Just a quick question. When I remove my fuel tank I will need to disconnect the fuel line, when I do how much gas will leak out? Will I need to plug that line to prevent the entire contents of my tank from running onto the floor? What would make a good plug? a nail? Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
600 Posts
The couple of times I've removed mine, a small splash of gas came out right after undoing the quick-connect coupler. I laid a towel over the battery compartment before undoing the coupler to catch the splash. No gas leaked from the hose while the tank was sitting on the floor :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Thanks. Big Air here I come! :doorag: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
532 Posts
One other suggestion on removing your tank is to wait until it's almost empty. That thing can get really awkward when it's full.

G

·
Mark, it is really very easy. It just makes it easier to have four hands. Two to hold the tank and two to make the disconnections. I believe there is also an electrical connection that gets disconnected under there too. Can't remember. It's been over a month since I had my tank off.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
toneout said:
Mark, it is really very easy. It just makes it easier to have four hands. Two to hold the tank and two to make the disconnections. I believe there is also an electrical connection that gets disconnected under there too. Can't remember. It's been over a month since I had my tank off.
I totally agree on the 4 hands part :bigthumbsup: and there is 1 electrical connection to disconnect along with the fuel line.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thansk all for your help. I gonna coherse my brother into comming over this week and helpiung me with it. With a little i'll have that Big Air kit ready for daytona this weekend.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had mine off. Move the tank side-side to know how it should be before you loosen/remove it.
First remove the drivers seat and set the handlebars straight. 2nd, remove the speedo chromed unit on top with the 0ne hex head screw and move the assembly forward and you can wrap it in a rag and lay it to the left and on the side of the bike. 3rd, remove the bolt holding the tank where the seat was. 4th, get a box or something to prop the tank upright exposing the fuel line. Do this from the right side of the bike. Put a rag under the fuel connection. Squeeze the inner blue connector and pull on the hose/connrction until it breaks free. Move the tank forward slowly and don't lift too much . It will slip out of the donut rubber retainer thingys and take it off. Verify the rubber donuts are in place before you attempt to put the tank back on.

Please correct/clarify if you see something wrong or missed in this procedure. Thanks, JOHN

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Mack400 said:
I had mine off. Move the tank side-side to know how it should be before you loosen/remove it.Â
First remove the drivers seat and set the handlebars straight. 2nd, remove the speedo chromed unit on top with the 0ne hex head screw and move the assembly forward and you can wrap it in a rag and lay it to the left and on the side of the bike. 3rd, remove the bolt holding the tank where the seat was. 4th, get a box or something to prop the tank upright exposing the fuel line. Do this from the right side of the bike. Put a rag under the fuel connection. Squeeze the inner blue connector and pull on the hose/connrction until it breaks free. Move the tank forward slowly and don't lift too much . It will slip out of the donut rubber retainer thingys and take it off. Verify the rubber donuts are in place before you attempt to put the tank back on.

Please correct/clarify if you see something wrong or missed in this procedure.  Thanks, JOHN
Good post :bigthumbsup: ....................... the only thing you forgot was disconnecting the wiring connector that powers the fuel pump ;)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I agree with the 4 hands especially if the bike is on a support jack with the front wheel is off the ground and a good light and don't force the quick connect!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you have to remove the speedo unit from the tank? Is there a connector to it underneath that can be reached where the fuel line disconnects?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
rudepup said:
Do you have to remove the speedo unit from the tank? Is there a connector to it underneath that can be reached where the fuel line disconnects?
You dont have to remove the speedo, just unplug the wire connector at the front.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
T-Bone©®™ said:
You dont have to remove the speedo, just unplug the wire connector at the front.
You mean you can get to that connector without removing the tank or at the least the neck cover, because I can't :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Bonehead said:
You mean you can get to that connector without removing the tank or at the least the neck cover, because I can't :dontknow:
Sure ya can! get the electrical connection off first, then the gas line, then slide the tank back about 2 or 3 inches, lift up a little but don't take it off, let the back rest on the battery cover and then pull the connectors apart. That's the way the service manual tells you to do it, tis easy :bigthumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts