M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It is your RIS gas cap!!!! No venting and the vacum is doing that to your tank. There have been several posts on this happening with his stuff.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There has been a number of report on this site of those gas caps not venting properly causing a vacuum. Cant quite remember the manufacturer, but I think it was RIS - the guys will correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice fix though! Bike looks great!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Dude, you'd be better off stunting a CBR or an GSX.....Seriously, it just collapsed? I didn't think the fuel pump was strong enough to do that. Theoretically, if the vent is blocked and the pump evacuates the fuel fast enough it would do that but I would think the pump would fail before it could do that kind of damage. The tank is vented thru the cap I think so if you've altered the cap maybe you plugged the vent? IDK lets see what others say.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It is your RIS gas cap!!!! No venting and the vacum is doing that to your tank. There have been several posts on this happening with his stuff.
:agree: I have seen this happen quite a few times...not directly from the RIS cap but from caps not venting properly...that is your issue for sure tho...thats a shame, all that hard work ruined do to a lousy crafted gas cap....I would fade to black on them and make sure they knew....:edit:...They are members here..have a couple different user names I believe..they generate alot of concern when they are mentioned...here is a dated thread about these caps

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117181

Sorry for your misfortune my friend...bike looked gorgeous...you did a great job :bigthumbsup:

PS I posted a pic so the others can see it..

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,767 Posts
I'd be filing a claim for my new tank against RIS. It's not like they did not know about this a year ago.

I'd be RIPPING mad! Sorry for your misfortune, and good luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yup, gas cap not venting. You can try to carefully pop it back out with an air hose or we used to fill em with water & put them in the freezer. Might take more than once on that one. Be careful tho as both methods can blow out the seams & ruin the tank. Not that I would mind too much on that one. Worst case is that you will buy a new one probably anyway.:-[

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bummer. I think you were trying to make it into a stunt bike so you can do tricks riding on your tank....JK, sorry for your luck, Nice color though. And i agree with most of these posts where somebody would be buying me a new tank:swear:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The pump can not do that to the tank. The bike would die before that happens. What happen was you filled the bike up on a hot day. Parked the bike in a cool night. Happens a lot to my fuel jugs here on the farm. And yes its from not having your vent working. I tend to keep my jugs out of the sun.

If you put a plumbers plug in and pump it up that kind of dent will come out.
I'd use a rubber mallet and tap around the dent while putting air in.
Ice will split the seams.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wow bro, that sucks! there are some great glass suction cups for glass instalation. If you applied some air and some cups it could come out, the bad part is that there may be some wrinkles from the dent. Post pics when done as we are all pulling for you to get your ride back to sexy.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Is that the stock cap? I think you got a CA. cap

·
Registered
550 Posts
The pump can not do that to the tank. The bike would die before that happens. What happen was you filled the bike up on a hot day. Parked the bike in a cool night. Happens a lot to my fuel jugs here on the farm. And yes its from not having your vent working. I tend to keep my jugs out of the sun.

If you put a plumbers plug in and pump it up that kind of dent will come out.
I'd use a rubber mallet and tap around the dent while putting air in.
Ice will split the seams.
Great point and my exact thoughts. Not a good situation if I was R.I.S. If you do use air pressure please show us the results.Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Structurally the tank is not built to withstand much vacuum at all (obviously), which is why the stock setup has a functional vent. I work on pressure vessels rated upwards of 1500psi, and it is amazing how easily they will collapse with comparatively little vacuum. Different design principles involved. Vacuum breakers are a wonderful thing. Or in the case of RIS, a proper vent would've been a good idea.

Thermal expansion of gasoline is 0.069% per degree F. So, OP puts his gas in when it was 85F, drove home and parked. Overnight it drops to 55F. That's a 30F change in temp which would result in a 2.07% change in volume of gas in the tank. Doesn't sound like much, and it really isn't. If we were talking pressure, that is not even close to creating a problem with our tanks. But in this case, the volume contracts, and in a tank with no vent, that creates a vacuum. Vacuum is an entirely different animal than pressure. Without a vent that 2.07% reduction in volume would likely cause enough of a vacuum to collapse the tank. In vacuum terms, even 1-2"w.c. is a lot. That's INCHES of vacuum, not psi.

On the other hand, the picture above looks a lot like the imprint from a particular body part that, if positioned properly on the motorcycle and accompanied by a vigorous physical activity, could quite possibly have caused that dent pattern. :dontknow: :eek:

I'm just sayin..... I would NEVER use my bike for that type of activity...8)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Structurally the tank is not built to withstand much vacuum at all (obviously), which is why the stock setup has a functional vent. I work on pressure vessels rated upwards of 1500psi, and it is amazing how easily they will collapse with comparatively little vacuum. Different design principles involved. Vacuum breakers are a wonderful thing. Or in the case of RIS, a proper vent would've been a good idea.

Thermal expansion of gasoline is 0.069% per degree F. So, OP puts his gas in when it was 85F, drove home and parked. Overnight it drops to 55F. That's a 30F change in temp which would result in a 2.07% change in volume of gas in the tank. Doesn't sound like much, and it really isn't. If we were talking pressure, that is not even close to creating a problem with our tanks. But in this case, the volume contracts, and in a tank with no vent, that creates a vacuum. Vacuum is an entirely different animal than pressure. Without a vent that 2.07% reduction in volume would likely cause enough of a vacuum to collapse the tank. In vacuum terms, even 1-2"w.c. is a lot. That's INCHES of vacuum, not psi.

On the other hand, the picture above looks a lot like the imprint from a particular body part that, if positioned properly on the motorcycle and accompanied by a vigorous physical activity, could quite possibly have caused that dent pattern. :dontknow: :eek:

I'm just sayin..... I would NEVER use my bike for that type of activity...8)
Just depends on how heavy she is.....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts