M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you put in Midrange or Premium on your 9? Pro's - Con's.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
8,993 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Nothing but the best for the nine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always run the highest octane at the pump, which is typically 94.
I find the higher octane will give me better gas mileage. But more than that, if you're really paying attention, the engine runs better and is more responsive as the higher octane fuels burn cleaner.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nope

I always run the highest octane at the pump, which is typically 94.
I find the higher octane will give me better gas mileage. But more than that, if you're really paying attention, the engine runs better and is more responsive as the higher octane fuels burn cleaner.
you may want to do alittle research. Higher octane doesnt burn any cleaner then lower TBH, the only thing an Octane # is telling you is its resistance to knocking, or detonation is better. The lower rated fuel you can run the more Hp you will make. Now alot of the Oil companies actually add more detergent, to their higher octanes also. They may help clean the inside of your intakes, and valves etc of deposits, but you will make less power on them. Here's a link with some more info on the subject.

And do most of you realize diesels burn cleaner then gas engines, even thou they produce soot, they produce less hydrocarbons and other harmful biproducts then gasoline engines do.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-high-octane-fuel.htm

·
Registered
25 Posts
you may want to do alittle research
My comment is based on my own experience, over the life of all of my vehicles for the past 10 years, comparing different octane fuels to the resulting performance and mileage. Was this on a closed course with controlled conditions or on a dyno? Of course not. But I'd rather take my own results over someone else's, as mine are specific to my driving styles, air temp, and environment. Thanks for the link though.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I had to run 87 on a fill-up because the station didn't have any 91. Bike runs great so why buy the expensive stuff? :dontknow:
Agree. There is no reason to run a fuel of higher octane needed than to prevent knocking. Lower octane fuel burns faster than higher. I get good mileage (mid thirties or better) and have never had one ping even on really hot days. Mine made really good HP/TQ on the dyno running 87 octane as well.

·
Registered
497 Posts
issue

My comment is based on my own experience, over the life of all of my vehicles for the past 10 years, comparing different octane fuels to the resulting performance and mileage. Was this on a closed course with controlled conditions or on a dyno? Of course not. But I'd rather take my own results over someone else's, as mine are specific to my driving styles, air temp, and environment. Thanks for the link though.
The issue i had with your comment was about burning cleaner. Unless your driving around with a 4 gas analyser, and comparing each tank just wanted people to realize thats not a true statment higher octane, doesnt mean cleaner emmisions.. Since part of my Job deals with air monitoring at work, I here all sorts of misconceptions. About ride quality to each his own. I ran everything from leaded fuels to Av fuels to 118 race fuels in my different vehicles some combos run better with others.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The octane ratings are calculated differently overseas. It's not actually that much higher.
Here you go this is how the get the number

In Australia petrol uses an octane rating called RON (Research Octane Number). The RON number is achieved from the results of lab tests in which the fuel is run through a test engine which varies its compression ratio under controlled conditions.
The results of the test are compared to results for a mixture of iso-octane and n-heptane. For example, if a fuel is found to perform in a similar way to a mixture of 95 per cent iso-octane and 5 per cent n-heptane, it is given the rating of 95 RON.

:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.