M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,what's your preference on gas brands? Anybody noticing any better results with one company than the other... shell? Chevron? Exxon? Just inquiring.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I use Chevron (91 octane), only because it has a good fuel injector cleaner in it

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shell 93 when available. 1-2 gallons of VP SV-05 (clear, 98 octane, unleaded, oxygenated) mixed with Shell 93, once a month or so... Smells soooooooo good.:bigthumbsup:
Yeah, I try to add a little something to it once a month... i'll try your mix. Thanks.. I've hit shell a few times... no complaints.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Shell 91 (Shell 93 isn't available locally) is the best for mileage IMO. I usually get around 42 mpg (if I can take it easy) with shell, but with others I usually get 38-40 mpg.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shell 91 (Shell 93 isn't available locally) is the best for mileage IMO. I usually get around 42 mpg (if I can take it easy) with shell, but with others I usually get 38-40 mpg.
Really?? No shell 93 there? I flip between chevron and Exxon (only because they're right next to my house), but i want to start paying attention to how my girl runs with the different fuels.. see if i can get some of that 42mpg or better that you're getting.. :bow:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Really?? No shell 93 there? I flip between chevron and Exxon (only because they're right next to my house), but i want to start paying attention to how my girl runs with the different fuels.. see if i can get some of that 42mpg or better that you're getting.. :bow:
There is only one shell station within 20 miles of my house and the best they have is 91. Whenever I can get the 93 I do. I always tell myself that I will take it easy for a full tank of fuel to see what the best I can do is, and I just can't keep off the throttle enough.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i used to run bp got great mileage and performance. station switched brands so i started running sunoco or exxon. i tried sheetz and kroger and got horrible mileage and performance out of both.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
Sunoco or Shell, and in 93 octane most of the time. I do most of my riding in VA and it's 93 octane there, but once I get back into WV it tends to be 92 octane. I've never ran less than 92 in it.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Hey,what's your preference on gas brands? Anybody noticing any better results with one company than the other... shell? Chevron? Exxon? Just inquiring.
No preference when filling up locally. All 93 octane sold around our neighborhood is good. When out in the boonies, I prefer to hit a big brand name station on a well-traveled road and just grab the highest octane.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
As long as it's 93 I haven't noticed a diff.

Since 93 octane dont give you any hp increase I only use the 93 every other tank for cleaning purposes only.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I use Flying J near the house and use the midgrade. I have no problems with pre-ignition, detonation, or pinging, and I get 42 MPG consistently (15.6K miles on the clock). By the way, octane is used to slow the burn of gasoline thus preventing detonation or pinging especially in high compression engines. Octane will NOT give you any true performance benefit other than what is already present in the engine.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,758 Posts
BP Supreme gives me the best results. I only buy it from the local station that has the separate fuel line for each grade.

I expect BP fuel will be going WAY up in price soon, however.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I use Flying J near the house and use the midgrade. I have no problems with pre-ignition, detonation, or pinging, and I get 42 MPG consistently (15.6K miles on the clock). By the way, octane is used to slow the burn of gasoline thus preventing detonation or pinging especially in high compression engines. Octane will NOT give you any true performance benefit other than what is already present in the engine.
I agree, but it smells soooo good, and VP has NO corn syrup! (ethonol)

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,758 Posts
Stop huffing the VP, Hink!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts