M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these bikes are not ment to get 50-60 miles to the gallon. But I have 09RZ with only 270 miles on it being doing mostly ciity driving and i have only been getting about 30 miles to the gallon. Wondering if im keeping the R's to low. Is there a range of RMP's i should be crusing at for better milage? I try to stay around 26000-2800. Just wondering if thats to low. Kinda dont want to go above 4000 RPM since the bike is not broke in yet. Not saying i have'nt though lol WOW

·
Registered
547 Posts
Don't know of a certain RPM but I get an average of around 42 or so per gallon. That's not taking it easy either. I like to get on it quite a bit. It's to fun not to. :p What grade of gas? I use the highest octane possible wherever I go. I do know the quality of gas makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
09-109, PC-V. Stock exhaust & intakes. I get around 35-40 on the highway & 30-35 around town.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I get anywhere from 36 to 42 depending on how I`m rideing very rarely do i get better than 36 :D but the rpm range your running in is a bit on the low side these bikes like to have some rpm`s i run mine around 3000 to 3500 in town and of course yo have got to rock on it like someone said above it is just to much fun not to :joke::a18:

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,767 Posts
You have not broken it in yet. After you have several thousand miles on it mileage will improve a bit (when the rings seat.)

I average 36 MPG now, but I have aftermarket intakes and exhaust and fuel management, so that will decrease my mileage overall.

G

·
I know these bikes are not ment to get 50-60 miles to the gallon. But I have 09RZ with only 270 miles on it being doing mostly ciity driving and i have only been getting about 30 miles to the gallon. Wondering if im keeping the R's to low. Is there a range of RMP's i should be crusing at for better milage? I try to stay around 26000-2800. Just wondering if thats to low. Kinda dont want to go above 4000 RPM since the bike is not broke in yet. Not saying i have'nt though lol WOW
If your still breaking it in the owners manual says to vary your RPM's.
And you should not lug the engine either. Mileage is dependant on a lot of variables. Idling time, stop and go Verses highway driving, hard or lite throttle.

I would worry more about breaking it in propperly. Then start looking at your mileage after that.

There does seam to be a large variation in what the 9's are gettint though. I get 44 to 48 under most riding. My worst has been 41 and best is 52, and I ride it hard at times and generally excede the speed limmit by 5 - 10 mph on the highway. When riding with other 9's on the same roads I genarally get better mileage than others. How much is the bike, how much is the rider, it's hard to tell. Kepping your tire pressures up and riding easy is most of it. But keeping all the tuning adjustments in spec and clean oil and air filters in the bike is good for mileage too.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Gotta agree about first breaking it in and then start ckg mpg. I usually get in the 40's average but have gotten 51mpg an a trip doing 65-70mph. I don't thing I've gotten in the 30's only a few times after a lot of stop and go and a lot of throtle. I broke my 9 in pretty much by the book but a lot of guys ride like they stole it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
:swear::nojoke: You guy have got it good!! our fuel over here in England is £1.20 a litre at the moment and its still rising so £6.00 a gallon is F%ING extortion .so we need to get the most mileage out of ours over the pond, I`m getting between 45-50, mileage wise :bigthumbsup: So i would say IF you converted into $$$ it would work out at around $9.00 a gallon!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
read your owners manual on breakin procedure and try to stick to it if you can.gas mileage will improve as it breaks in. mine got 32 to 38 til around 2700 miles then it got 42-48mpg since.just got back from a 250 mile cruise riding easy 50-60 mph brought down 50mpg!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
09 also started at 38 mpg and now after 1600 miles about 42-44 mpg, broke it in like the book says pushing it once in awhile. get your 500 miles on and the bike will run better the more miles you put on it:hot: ride safe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts