M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am only getting around 130 miles per tank which comes out to 26 miles a gallon. I have scorpion tips and an FI 2000. The setting is 1-2-1. Is there anyway to increase the gas mileage. I have read some of the posts and other riders are getting 40-45 miles a gallon. Please help.

G

·
I am only getting around 130 miles per tank which comes out to 26 miles a gallon. I have scorpion tips and an FI 2000. The setting is 1-2-1. Is there anyway to increase the gas mileage. I have read some of the posts and other riders are getting 40-45 miles a gallon. Please help.
The Beast has a powerful thirst for go-go juice, but that seems a little low. Most of the replies you'll get will tell you some or all of the following:

1. Check your plugs
2. Check tire pressures
3. Clean/replace air filters
4. Change your oil
5. Reset/reboot/recalibrate/re-map (whatever you want to call it) the FI 2000
6. Buy different gas...without 10% ethanol if you can find it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I get 42 on a bad day.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I get the same thing.....been tracking my gas mileage since March with an app on my Android phone and I'm averaging about 29 MPG.

I've reduced the settings on my Cobra Fi2000 and I check tire pressure before every ride. I have the big air kit but have not cleaned/oiled the filters since last year so that may be some of the problem. Since this is corn country I'm also am forced to use 10% ethanol quite often up here in the Midwest as well. Still.....these should result in only minor reductions in gas milage, I've heard lots of people claiming 40+ mpg on their 9's and I just don't see it. I cannot understand how there could be such a HUGE disparity in fuel efficiency among bikes that are essentially the same. Sure different intake/exhaust/fuel maps will affect gas mileage but by 20mpg? Seriously??

For the record, my bike has always gotten well below 30mph even when it was bone stock....:dontknow: ??? :dontknow:???

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,770 Posts
I average 36 MPG with big air, a Supertrapp, and an advanced map on my PC III. I'll see if I do any better on the trip to the Mid-Atlantic meet (all highway.) That's about 180 miles MAXIMUM / full tank.

I think some 9's are just predisposed to better fuel mileage that others. Also remember, performance is inversely proportional to fuel economy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With over 30k miles, I average around 42 plus mpg. This is accomplished on a daily 80 mile commute that is usually in 5th gear at 50-70 mph. All the fuel around here is 10% ethanol. However, I have noticed that when I take it out to play and ride aimlessly, the mpg will drop to the mid 30's.

G

·
I top it off everytime. Stay on the bike and fill'er up. Is that wrong?
If you want an accurate measurement, you need to reset the trip odo everytime you fill up. Then, at the next fill up, divide # miles ridden by the exact volume of gas you just pumped. You can't guess, or your estimate is likely to be wildly off. That'll give you a reasonably accurate figure in mpg.

·
Registered
973 Posts
It is all relative to how hard you twist the "happy handle".

On the highway cruising at steady speeds of 60-70 mph I will get 44-46 mpg, but if I am playing with the throttle a lot or doing a lot of in town riding, the mileage drops way off.:doorag:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have never understood why these bikes have such a wide range of fuel mileage, even with intake and exaust mods I would'nt think it would drop that much. On my last hwy trip I got 44 mpg which is very good for a big 1800 muscle cruiser.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I average right around 40 mpg. If I ride steady speed, like my trip down here to VA. I got 43 MPG at 75 -80 mph. If I ride around town in 3rd or 4th gear it goes way down, but typically never worse than 35 mpg. I think it has a lot to do with riding styles, too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
too fast blue

hey i get 43 to 44 mi./gal...an i drive it like i stole it!!! no mods / completely stock.....:drool:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
GAs milage issue

I now get around 37 or so out on the highway. I get a lot less when running around town, around 29mpg. My bike was running very lean so the dealer put a PC-V in to richen her up. Before that I was averaging around 42 mpg. I would rather get less milage than ruin a engine.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I get right around 40 very consistantly.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I get a lot of fun per MPG, and that's all that matters really :evil::evil:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts