M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone but me noticed that when you stop at a red light ,,or any kind of stop when riding,,you get a wiiff,or hint of gas fumes??? no i didnt over fill the tank and spill any !!! ive looked for leaks and she's dry as a cobb !!! nothing on garage floor in the mournings !!! the only thing ive done is put the jsd 3-m on it.......

·
Registered
71 Posts
I guess you were writing at the same time I was, I have noticed it, but I didn't notice it until after the first service. I haven't found any fuel leaks either but it has a pretty strong smell after I get off.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Since we're on a "Have you noticed" sort of thread, I'll pose one of mine... Has anyone noticed when riding around (those that wear half helmets or no helmets) that occasionally you will feel a brief spray of something on your face? I have noticed it several times. Logic tells me that it would be impossible for something to squirt out of my bike (like coolant leak) and hit me in the fact given the wind and such, but I can't help but wonder because I sometimes feel it when riding and no cars are around, and no birds or clouds are in the sky. The times that a car has been not too far ahead, I have thought it was just maybe them cleaning their windshield or maybe water dripping out of their tail pipe, but I have also noticed it when no cars were nearby. Just curious if anybody else has noticed this "phenomenon".

·
Registered
181 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Since we're on a "Have you noticed" sort of thread, I'll pose one of mine... Has anyone noticed when riding around (those that wear half helmets or no helmets) that occasionally you will feel a brief spray of something on your face? I have noticed it several times. Logic tells me that it would be impossible for something to squirt out of my bike (like coolant leak) and hit me in the fact given the wind and such, but I can't help but wonder because I sometimes feel it when riding and no cars are around, and no birds or clouds are in the sky.  The times that a car has been not too far ahead, I have thought it was just maybe them cleaning their windshield or maybe water dripping out of their tail pipe, but I have also noticed it when no cars were nearby. Just curious if anybody else has noticed this "phenomenon".
Strange that you mention this. but I have noticed this as well. I've been riding long enough to know the difference between some sand blowing up and this. I first noticed it this past weekend. At first, I too thought it might be someone cleaning their windshild but there were no cars around and not a cloud in the sky. Go figure?????

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
J R said:
Tears of joy :dontknow: :joke: Is there a chance that when your filling up the bike theres some gas laying in the top of the filler neck ?
Nah, I'm very meticulous about filling to the bottom of the fill neck and taking care to not drip any gas when removing the nozzle.

OR I have had this happen you wash the bike and then ride it later and the water keeps coming out from under the speedo and dash or whatever ya wana call it for a while after you wash it ???Just a guess 8)
I've only actually washed the bike with soap and water once. I just use Honda Polish after every ride to keep the bike showroom shining.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
lawdog said:
What you are feeling is condensation from cagers air conditioning. As the car's A/C removes heat and moisture, the condensation runs from the unit through a rubber hose that deposits it underneath the car/truck onto the highway. When the water "splats" on the road, you feel it as "spray". I like it because it helps keep me cool.

lawdog
That was one of my thoughts too... until I felt it a time or two with no cars in sight. :confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
lawdog said:
At first, I too thought it might be someone cleaning their windshild but there were no cars around and not a cloud in the sky. Go figure?????

What you are feeling is condensation from cagers air conditioning. As the car's A/C removes heat and moisture, the condensation runs from the unit through a rubber hose that deposits it underneath the car/truck onto the highway. When the water "splats" on the road, you feel it as "spray". I like it because it helps keep me cool.

lawdog
Thanks for the input, but if you read my reply carefully I indicated that there were no cars around at all.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I heard those pissing bugs were returning guess there right. :dontknow:  George Bush's fault :eek:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I get the gas fume smell and the "mist" as well, I can only attribute the smell to vapor venting from the filler cap(or other dedicated vent) and the mist to collected condensation,(hot bike shut-down/cool down) somewhere in the maze of plastic panels (and every now and then,rain/wash water behind the mirror glass or head light nacelle) I've seen the mystery water on my wrist and it is clear& colorless. I've noticed the gas smell predominantly when idling a cold bike and upon moving the warm bike after sitting a while,- i.e. backing out of a spot at a resturant or store. The smell's gotta be vapor venting by more or less normal means and I'd bet its the fill cap burping! and the mist is just a fluke, some little crevace trapping a drop or two of condensation/water :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts