M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will start from the begining so no questions will need to be asked LMAO.
My fuel tank was damaged almost beyond repair a couple months ago while my bike was sitting in the garage awaiting its fate. Fast forward a couple of months and it is time to ride again so I decide since the repairs with paint is $700, I will just buy brand new tank from Suzuki for $925. I found an LE tank listed on ebay with a part number listed. I asked my local stealer to price that part number found on ebay and to make sure it is actually an LE part number. It was, so I ordered it. Now, after riding a few minutes or sitting in the sun, my tank makes a high pitch whine until I release the gas cap. The first thing I noticed when the new tank arrived, there is no vent tube on the underside for the charcoal canister. Obviously this is a non california tank. I am ok with that though because I now have an increased fuel capacity. My question....can I just buy a non california gas cap to stop the pressure from building up, or is there more to it?

I also notice that when I fill my tank, I get full bars on my fuel gauge. However after about 95-105 miles of riding, the gauge drops to 1 bar and the fuel light blinks. There is no 4th or 3rd or 2nd bar showing...EVER. Goes from 5 bars to 1 bar and blinking. Does anyone know if the sender is ALSO different in a non cali emissions model??

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
hey dart, Glad to see things worked out for ya with the bike. I don't know if this info helps but it was posted by Seapup on another thread. seems you may be on to something with the gas cap venting idea. Read below

Well... can't say I didn't offer assistance in pointing out the OEM venting scheme with illustrated photos. :-\ Looks like the whole thread was deleted, but RIS replied with something along the lines of, "we fully tested it on a 109". The cap venting may not be an issue on CA-spec bikes, but for 49-state bikes, especially those in locations with severe day/night temp swings (like AZ, NM, NV)... well... have fun cleaning up your tanks next summer

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
If you're running a non-CA tank on a CA-spec 109, just plug the canister inlet and install a non-CA/49-state gas cap (vented). The non-CA cap part # is 44200-39830. It's going to cost you around $100. :eek:

I don't see a CA-specific float/sending unit. You should be able to adjust it though, simply by bending the arm up slightly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will start from the begining so no questions will need to be asked LMAO.
My fuel tank was damaged almost beyond repair a couple months ago while my bike was sitting in the garage awaiting its fate. Fast forward a couple of months and it is time to ride again so I decide since the repairs with paint is $700, I will just buy brand new tank from Suzuki for $925. I found an LE tank listed on ebay with a part number listed. I asked my local stealer to price that part number found on ebay and to make sure it is actually an LE part number. It was, so I ordered it. Now, after riding a few minutes or sitting in the sun, my tank makes a high pitch whine until I release the gas cap. The first thing I noticed when the new tank arrived, there is no vent tube on the underside for the charcoal canister. Obviously this is a non california tank. I am ok with that though because I now have an increased fuel capacity. My question....can I just buy a non california gas cap to stop the pressure from building up, or is there more to it?

I also notice that when I fill my tank, I get full bars on my fuel gauge. However after about 95-105 miles of riding, the gauge drops to 1 bar and the fuel light blinks. There is no 4th or 3rd or 2nd bar showing...EVER. Goes from 5 bars to 1 bar and blinking. Does anyone know if the sender is ALSO different in a non cali emissions model??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey dart I have a similar problem. I had to replace my tank and I purchased a non-California tank and it is making the similar sound after driving a short distance. So it seems that a vented gas cap is required. I am searching for a fix at this time. When I figure out a solution I will let you know.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have a Custom, Vented, Chrome Gas Cap for the M109R. It is brand new, and has never been installed on any bike. Send me a conversation message, if you're interested, and I'll provide pics if you need them. I will let it go for $100 shipped to any location in the U.S.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Even the non-CA cap can have issues. There is a little sliver of metal in there that can get out-of-place. Should that happen the cap won't vent. You'll end up like I did, having to remove the cap every ten miles or so to vent the tank. I found an old thread on here, and figured out how to disassemble the cap and put that little sliver back in it's proper place. Only happened once, not again since.

When it happens, your first thought is the dang fuel filter plugged up again, had to replace mine three times in the 15b years I've owned the bike, about every four years and around 11,000 miles, give or take. But I was out riding one day when that sliver got out-of-place. And figured out the problem before I changed the filter.

Reactions: JUDAH-9

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Even the non-CA cap can have issues. There is a little sliver of metal in there that can get out-of-place. Should that happen the cap won't vent. You'll end up like I did, having to remove the cap every ten miles or so to vent the tank. I found an old thread on here, and figured out how to disassemble the cap and put that little sliver back in it's proper place. Only happened once, not again since.

When it happens, your first thought is the dang fuel filter plugged up again, had to replace mine three times in the 15b years I've owned the bike, about every four years and around 11,000 miles, give or take. But I was out riding one day when that sliver got out-of-place. And figured out the problem before I changed the filter.
That is very interesting. I never knew that could happen with the M109R gas cap.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
That is very interesting. I never knew that could happen with the M109R gas cap.
There is a very old article on it, from way back in the day. I found it somehow, forget what search criteria I used. I'll have to go look for it again. I mean, this piece of metal is so small, essentially a sliver. It fits in the cap in a certain way. Don't know how mine got knocked out, dropped it? The rough roads out here where I live? Fortunately the fuel cap is easy to disassemble.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I found the old thread already. Unfortunately, all the pics from the old days are gone. Back then, everyone posted their pics via photobucket. Then they started up their extortion racket, and deleted the links to all photos from accounts that didn't pay them. If I get an opportunity this weekend, I'll take mine apart and take a few pics of that little POS. You could easily lose it in your garage if you dropped it.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Also I recall back in the day seeing pictures of guys M109R's with crumpled fuel tanks, supposedly because of the gas cap not venting. I found that hard to believe because mine would hardly run with the tank not venting. It was as bad, if not worse, than a plugged fuel filter.

·
Radio Active Member
22,690 Posts
Also I recall back in the day seeing pictures of guys M109R's with crumpled fuel tanks, supposedly because of the gas cap not venting. I found that hard to believe because mine would hardly run with the tank not venting. It was as bad, if not worse, than a plugged fuel filter.
Wasn't that because of an aftermarket cap that some company sold on here, maybe Swampworks? I remember the same crumpled tank as you. Seems like they crumpled when the bike was left sitting over night and as the tank cooled and pressure dropped, they crumpled.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Wasn't that because of an aftermarket cap that some company sold on here, maybe Swampworks? I remember the same crumpled tank as you. Seems like they crumpled when the bike was left sitting over night and as the tank cooled and pressure dropped, they crumpled.
Yeah, that seems to ring a bell. Glad mine never did that!

On mine, one day it ran great, the next it didn't. I didn't dawdle around in fixing it. Right now, my B-King needs a fuel filter. Last time I rode it, late January, it ran GREAT! Next time, it was stumbling like it wasn't getting enough fuel. Can only assume, since my Nine does the same thing when it needs a filter, that the filter is at fault. I'm waiting on it from my local dealer, same as a replacement clutch cable, for the one that was under the seat for seven years, is now on the bike.

·
Radio Active Member
22,690 Posts
Found an old thread on it, it was a RIS Design cap that was causing it. I think there are some pictures in another thread linked from this one, but I didn't go through the 4 pages to find them.

I've had old bikes that you had to run the cap a little loose for them to vent. That was before I figured out how to fix them. And probably and old car and mower or two. :)

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Found an old thread on it, it was a RIS Design cap that was causing it. I think there are some pictures in another thread linked from this one, but I didn't go through the 4 pages to find them.

I've had old bikes that you had to run the cap a little loose for them to vent. That was before I figured out how to fix them. And probably and old car and mower or two. :)
You could always do it 80's sport bike style. Drill a hole in the cap, put a barb fitting on the cap, then run a vent tube toward the top triple tree. Don't smoke while riding! ;)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Zoom, the company you are referring to was called R.I.S. out of California. They were horrible, and the owner was a big ball of trash, and a liar from the depths of hell. He never stood by his faulty products, and ripped off a bunch of members of this Forum, and around the U.S. with failing to refund money from defective and returned components, and from taking full payments from customers, and NEVER shipping or delivering the products they paid for. I had it out with the owner, because I paid for some Custom Chrome Fork Caps from his sorry company, and they never delivered them. He told lie, after lie, after lie about the whereabouts of the merchandise that I had not ever received. Finally, he agreed to refund my money, and then totally blew me off, and NEVER refunded my money ($100.00). HE AND HIS COMPANY WERE THE WORST.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Did you ever find any suitable chrome fork caps? JDA makes some nice ones. I have a set on mine that were bought off another member here some years ago.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Did you ever find any suitable chrome fork caps? JDA makes some nice ones. I have a set on mine that were bought off another member here some years ago.
Yes, there's a set of Yana Shiki Fork Caps I've been looking at for quite some time. I just haven't pulled the trigger on them yet. I need to go ahead and get them, before they're no longer available. I've provided a pic of the set I'm talking about. They're $108.99 plus free shipping from a company called Accessories International.

·
Radio Active Member
22,690 Posts
Zoom, the company you are referring to was called R.I.S. out of California.
Yup, I posted later that they were the company that made the cap. And I remember well all the horror tales from back in the day when they sold, or offered to sell, parts. At times it was almost a daily occurrence with them not providing something they had sold.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Yup, I posted later that they were the company that made the cap. And I remember well all the horror tales from back in the day when they sold, or offered to sell, parts. At times it was almost a daily occurrence with them not providing something they had sold.
You are dead on with your recollection and summarization of the thieving owner and his staff of piss-poor, ratchet, scandalous, sub-standard, untrustworthy, inferior-product-producing, scamming, low-down, low-life, dirty, scum-born, waste of skin and human life morons and degenerates. I hope they have all gone on to lead the most unproductive and unsuccessful lives known to mankind, because they only way they know how to have success is by ripping off other people. Perhaps, it's even caught up with them, and they finally got what was coming to each of them...a bullet!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts