M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Lamonster said:
Looks good but the screen is too small. Once you use a 5" screen you can never go back to a 3.5" ::)
I think that has more to do with your age than anything else. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Lamont, I am hoping for a detailed report on how your GPS works on your trip. Have you used this before?
I like the big screen aspect, but I have never heard of it before. Hows the quality?

Sledzep

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
sledzep01 said:
Lamont, I am hoping for a detailed report on how your GPS works on your trip. Have you used this before?
I like the big screen aspect, but I have never heard of it before. Hows the quality?

Sledzep
I used it last year on out trip to Sturgis and it worked great. The iWay has some issues and right now I can't say I would recommend it till they work out some of thier bugs but even with the problems I've had they have had great customer support and I really don't see another unit that is as nice. The big screen is great when you're driving down the road.

http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/Products/iWAY500C.asp

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
dang Lamont, If you've been there before, you shouldn't need directions from a gps,are you going senile on us? :joke: :doorag: :super:what about weather does it hurt it to get damp
The iWay is waterproof, the XM is not. ::) I'll deal with that when I need to.

A GPS can be so handy that you wouldn't believe it if you've never had one. Last year we used it to call ahead and book rooms, find good places to eat and what I like best is using it to find fuel. A lot of times you get fuel too soon because you're not sure if there is another station ahead. With the GPS you can find the stations and pick the one that is near where you really need fuel instead of stopping early.

The other nice thing is you can zoom out and take roads off the beaten path when you can see where they go, and you can tell how long it will take to get to any of those places or how long it will take to get back to the hotel. I'm telling you once you have it you can't go without it. ;)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
MarcJ said:
$1000, so yeah, pretty steep. I really like the features like left handed controls, waterproof design, and bluetooth headset feature so you can hear directions in your helmet. Color screen designed for use in direct sunlight is sweet too. If I was big into long trips and such, I would consider one. That being said, since I have yet to feel the need for one in my car, I certainly can't justify one on my bike...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The TomTom Riders are down to 800.00.. Which is still really pricey, but both the new Garmin and the TomTom are built for BlueTooth communication (which I'm guessing the model Lamont has also is). Which is really kewl since you can get verbal directions and ignore the screens. So from that standpoint the 5" vs 3.5" screen debate is a bit mute 8)

Hey Lamont.. what you doing staring at the screen while you riding anyway? That how you found all them bison you videod? :eek:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Lamonster said:
That and too many flash burns. :eek:
Get you a good electronic helmet if you haven't already. Hell, I bought one for $49 from Harbor Freight, and I love it. I will never go back to a plain one. Oh, and I meant to ask it in one of your trip updates, but how the heck did you miss the turn off to Devil's Tower by 40 miles if you were using your GPS? :bigthumbsup: :joke:

Lamont said:
We shook hands and then I asked him how far up the road was Devils Tower. He said I passed the turn about ten miles ago. Turns out it was about forty miles back.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I tried a 7" with a hard drive but couldn't figure out a mounting solution and

Hard Drive plus Motorcycle = bad news...

So took it back and got the Pioneer right before our trip... has Bluetooth and an EXCELLENT screen in the day but... the interface sucks (needs a toggle for moving to locations that aren't cities or towns - good for finding gas stations - not great for hotels - as limited number...

The smaller screen isn't a bad thing though - when going through the twisties it was great in figuring out where the next hairpin was...

I like the idea of the new Zumo - coming out this fall... cuz it's

a) Bluetooth
b) Left Hand Controls
c) XM Radio built in
d) Water Resistant

Ideally, I'd like all of that on a 5" screen but XM plus Bluetooth makes for the perfect solution instead of an iPod and no turn by turn instructions...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi!

I'm new to this site... I am picking up my new 9 this week. I want to add a GPS to it. I found this topic from last year. Does anyone have anything to add to this? I had a look at the Gramin Zumo 500. Any comments?

Thanks!

BR

·
Registered
841 Posts
Trogdor said:
$999.00 for GPS...I'll buy a map...
LMAO no kidding umm my verizon phone comes with a gps me thinks i'll be using it awhile maybe i'll get one for Christmas this year hahahaha

G

·
I bought one about a month ago to replace my Garmin 2610. I love it. Bought it from Amazon.com for a little over $700. Came with car kit, bike kit, 2G flash drive, yada, yada, yada. I switch it between the company car and my FJR. When in the car you can put commands in on the fly. When you switch to the bike, it gives you easy controls, even with a gloved hand. Very accurate, easy to see in sunlight and has more options on it than I will ever use. I have it tied into my Starcom intercom on the bike. Requires a special cord just for the Zumo connection, but sends all audible info through the intercom. If you run it off of the battery without the DC connection it works fine, but no audible sound comes out of it.

I used it for about 8 hours a couple weeks ago before the Starcom was completely hooked up and running on battery it did real well. I was not sure how long it would go on battery, but it didn't let me down.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have the Zumo 550 and love it! I have the Edsets setup in one of my helmets so I have handsfree bluetooth and MP3's in for my listening enjoyment. I bought an additional memory card and have around 250 songs on it right now. You can also hook up XM if you want. I paid under $700 for mine.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts