M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a search function and all... just wanted to ask... Where did you guys splice into for your power supply for the garmin or any other power adapter? I was thinking the headlight main power line.. then i could hide the adapter down in the forks for easy plugin and stealth when not in use. Not real sure if that would be sufficient power and or if that would mess up the headlight (dimm it).

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used the hot wire from the tail light to operate a relay under the seat to run driving lights and jmcb-2003.I'd run any after market electrical device through a relay,I'd hate to smoke any of the bikes wiring harness

·
Registered
608 Posts
I used a power plate to hook up all my accessories which does run everthing through a relay which taps into the license plate light.

Note that there appears to be a grounding issue on the M90.

It took me forever (and a few unsuccessful trips to the dealer) to finally diagnose why my heat demons handgrip heaters would shut off when shifting gears. It turned out to be a grounding issue. I rewired them when I added the universal power plate and master ground block over the winter. The master ground block is wired directly to the battery's ground terminal and having the ground for the heat demons go to the ground block resolved the issue.

There was someone else who was having issues with heat demons on the M90 and I suggested they try wiring the ground directly to the battery terminal and that solved their issue.

Kev had an issue with his new HID lights and when he wired the ground directly to the battery terminal the issues (flickering) went away.

Keep that in mind if you have issues.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used a power plate to hook up all my accessories which does run everthing through a relay which taps into the license plate light.

Note that there appears to be a grounding issue on the M90.

It took me forever (and a few unsuccessful trips to the dealer) to finally diagnose why my heat demons handgrip heaters would shut off when shifting gears. It turned out to be a grounding issue. I rewired them when I added the universal power plate and master ground block over the winter. The master ground block is wired directly to the battery's ground terminal and having the ground for the heat demons go to the ground block resolved the issue.

There was someone else who was having issues with heat demons on the M90 and I suggested they try wiring the ground directly to the battery terminal and that solved their issue.

Kev had an issue with his new HID lights and when he wired the ground directly to the battery terminal the issues (flickering) went away.

Keep that in mind if you have issues.
Where did you instal the power plate at? Just wondering what would be the best place for it.. i am going to run a power plug (like the lighter outlet in a car) up under the handle bars so i can use my non moto garmin on the bike... also planning to run Led accents on the bike so that power plate would prob be my best bet for now.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I installed the power plate under the left (clutch) side cover. I installed the master ground block under the seat.

Where did you instal the power plate at? Just wondering what would be the best place for it.. i am going to run a power plug (like the lighter outlet in a car) up under the handle bars so i can use my non moto garmin on the bike... also planning to run Led accents on the bike so that power plate would prob be my best bet for now.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Good info, I was going to get a ram mount for my wifes Garmin, so we could take it on the trips, I bought the cig female power socket, but have not installed it yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys,

I just hooked up a 12v plug directly to my battery and hid it under my seat. I put the Garmin on my handlebars and run the power wire down the top of the tank then under my seat. I didn't want to cut the power cable to the Garmin because I wanted to be able to use it in other vehicles. I only put the Garmin on the bike when I need it so I don't mind running the wire down the tank. I haven't had any issues with the wire slapping against the tank or anything like that, and now I also have a 12v plug that I can use for anything when I'm not using the Garmin. I don't mind that the plug is always hot, because I don't leave the Garmin on the bike when I leave it anyway. I have over 10,000 miles with this set up and no issues. 8)

-Brian

·
Registered
430 Posts
I used the power plate, and then purchased a hardwire kit from Amazon to power my Nuvi. Depending on which Garmin you are using, I have a hardwire kit for sale.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127547
Yeah, I got one of those, but I have to go back and wire it in to a power plate that is fed after a relay off of my tag light... haven't gotten around to it... otherwise, the little green light on the "egg" stays illuminted the whole time... it never shuts off and continuously drains power. Removing the Garmin from the craddle doesn't stop the power consumption. Something I didn't know before...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts