M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be silly, but, I'm fix'n (that's Texas talk) to install my two remotes inside the bike. I'm tired of having to carry them on a keychain and fish them out of my pocket while I'm riding.
I'm using the small keychain remotes and simply removing the button and running the button wires to a remote button.
Haven't decided where to put the remotes, which are the size of a matchbox (two, actually) or the buttons. I have ordered weatherproof buttons.
Should be pretty slick to not have to carry the remotes around on a keychain.
Here's a shot of one of the remotes. I'll post shots of the installation when finished.
Anyone ever done something this silly?
Bradbike

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, You're way ahead of me. Too bad I've got the openers and the push buttons are on the way.
At least mine will keep me busy longer..I love to tinker.
I'll still post my results.
Thanks much,
Brad.
Oh, I live in FL but spent 30 yrs in TX.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't get the weatherproof switches..just got small ones at Radio Sheck.
Mounted the remote behind headlight with velcro and pushbutton switch behind plastic.
Works great and there is plenty of room for the other one.
Now I have to find a couple of those plastic tab things..My last re-inserting of them didn't hold and I lost them. Got to find that post about the circular fastners.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I used to have a garage door opener wire into my VTX. I plan on putrting it back on my 109 this weekend using the high beem passing switch. I'll let you know how it works out when I'm done...........(or when it's really FUBAR)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not an electrician, but I did check thing out and it appears the switch is always hot and therefore won't work. Was really trying to avoid having to drill and mount an additional button. Oh, well...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured that holes in the plastic piece behind headlight were the better than anywhere else on bike.
Anyhow, I'm installing two more for gate openers.
The gate openers have DPST switches and it's hard to find same. Might need two buttons for them.
Am in process of doing micro-surgery on them now.
Hope I don't burn the circuit boards up.
Oh don't I love to tinker.
Will post the inside when finished...Maybe by next year?
Bradbike

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got them both working now and what a convenience.
I no longer have to stuff keyring with keys and two openers in my pockets.
BTW, there's plenty of room in the headlight housing for this.
Next I'll put a double switch in so I can access my daughter's gate.
To the fellow that didn't want to cut holes in his black part, it could be restored to original if bike was sold.
Would be a bit tedious since cables go thru it.
Bradbiks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts