M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A NEW AND IMPROVED VERSION. i deleted all the old crap to post the new.  I added a garage door opener to the 109. it works off the passing button only, it will not function with the high beam switch and the passing button still operates the high beam as normal. so far it works great. i have a liftmaster door opener with an orange learning code.  i used a 971LM remote, 30 amp relay from radio shack and a 3 amp diode from radio shack. i'm using the remotes battery for power.

First tap wires into the board of the remote to bypass the button and run them out the side of the case. (Sorry i don't have a pic of the wires in the board but it was real easy)

i mounted the remote to the plastic backing of the headlight bucket with velcro and i mounted the relay on the headlight bracket

now the fun part. remove the left switch box and take it apart. slice open the wire loom up to the wires for the clutch switch, find the red wire with yellow tracer cut it and add the diode into the wire as close as you can to where it connects to the yellow wire so its easy to put it all back together again. the grey band on the diode points away from the switch box. run a new wire through the loom and connect it to the side of the diode that is closer to the switch box( the other end of this wire will go to the relay). tape the loom closed and put the switch box back together and reinstall on the bike.

there is a wire diagram on the relay. the gound can be run to the headlight mount. the new wire you installed is your switched power. the two wire from the remote go to the remaining terminals. its a lot easier then i make it sound.Â

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have that exact same remote control... any way you might be able to give us a how to, for the rest of us to follow suit?

:)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Could you not use the flasher switch instead and just bump it to open the door. It would solve the problem of it being on the entire time of using the high beam. Right ? I wish you would do a how to on the subject, the garage door is a pain in the arss.

·
Registered
572 Posts
BearCom said:
Could you not use the flasher switch instead and just bump it to open the door. It would solve the problem of it being on the entire time of using the high beam. Right ? I wish you would do a how to on the subject, the garage door is a pain in the arss.
I would use the flasher as well, as most of the time I ride with my high beam on, so barely ever use the passing button, as it only works when you are on low beam...

I'll need to tinker with my spare remote and see if I can come up with something... this sounds like a fun project for tomorrow... :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think your passing and my flasher is one, but it is almost 4:00am :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BearCom said:
Could you not use the flasher switch instead and just bump it to open the door. It would solve the problem of it being on the entire time of using the high beam. Right ? I wish you would do a how to on the subject, the garage door is a pain in the arss.
the flasher button is what i was trying to use but it is tied to the high beam switch. using just the passing button should be possible but will require some extra wiring. i'll get it figured out i the next few days.

·
Registered
401 Posts
let me know will ya, I am prettty handy with a soldering gun .

G

·
why don't install a push button switch from radio shack somewhere accessible in the bike??? That should do the trick regarding the lasting issues...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
M109R Fan said:
why don't install a push button switch from radio shack somewhere accessible in the bike??? That should do the trick regarding the lasting issues...
it can be done if you want but i don't want any extra switches

·
Registered
401 Posts
How about left turn signal or right , what ever you want.

Just throwing out ideas

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey what about the horn ?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the horn wasn't as easy, i think it makes and breaks the ground inside the switch box.

the turn signals could work if you remember to shut them off after the first blink.

the brake switch would work as long as you dont use your brakes leaving the driveway

a seperate switch could be used any where you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I would be happy to even have a garage :eek:

·
Registered
401 Posts
You could if possible solder a wire antenna and have it attach under the light

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stoopid311 said:
im not the best at wiring, but i sure do want to do that a how 2 would be greatly appreciated
did you read the post ? the how to is in the post along with the pics

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I just did a similar mod with a Genie remote. I purchased a keychain remote ($25) and an all black Momentary push switch. While i was farting around I did trials with the horn the blinker and the flash to pass switch and found none of them suitable. The horn was a negative break(if that is correct) so it was on when not honking horn and off when honking horn, flash to pass was no go as i ride during the day with brights on and didn't wants juice to flow through the remote constantly and blinker was OK but you have to be quick at turning it off or it will cycle. so i drilled a hole in the backing shroud behind the headlight and it works perfectly

·
Registered
568 Posts
I will be doing this mod when my new 12 volt remote gets in this week. Has anyone thought about just using the passing yellow switch just for the remote? Would it be possible to just take the wires off that are connected now, and use this switch for the remote only ? I have not yet opened that whole switch assembly up to see if that is an option, but I could use the regular high beam switch for the little bit I use that yellow one for now.
Anyone know if this is a possibility?? ::) :bigthumbsup:

Bob

1 - 20 of 29 Posts