M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our prayers go out to the friends and family of the officer who was killed in the line of duty.
Be careful out there Tom.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for all your support and prayers for the Grove family during a difficult time in the Law Enforcement community.Now this is going on what is wrong with poeple?
Shots Fired near PA Game Commission Officers

wnep-shots-fired-madison-township-game-commission

The day before a Pennsylvania Game Commission officer killed in the line of duty was laid to rest there was another incident of shots fired near officers, this time in Lackawanna County. It happened on the first day of rifle bear season.

Game commission officers charged 39-year-old Terrance Weiss with terroristic threats, simple assault, hunting under the influence and more after investigators said he fired shots near officers checking reports of bear baiting near Moscow.

The incident comes as the game commission prepared to say good-bye to Wildlife Conservation Officer David Grove, the first officer killed in the line of duty since 1915.

Investigators said Weiss fired shots near wildlife conservation officers checking out reports of bear baiting in Madison Township.

Game commission officers and state troopers converged on a wooded area near Haas Pond during the first few hours of rifle bear season.

A police helicopter searched from above after the shots were fired at a nearby hunting cabin.

"An individual yelled a warning to, 'Get off my property or I'm going to shoot,' and fired three, there were three rounds fired and at that point the officers took cover and backed out and called for assistance," said Commander Steve Schweitzer with the Pennsylvania Game Commission Northeast Region.

Investigators have not said if Weiss intentionally aimed at the officers.

"There were casings found in the area, but I don't know what direction, but it was pretty clear that the warning was specifically directed at the officers," added Schweitzer.

The incident in the woods comes a little more than a week after Wildlife Conservation Officer David Grove was killed in the line of duty near Gettysburg while investigating illegal night hunting and deer poaching.

"Unfortunately the outcome wasn't very good and it's affecting our people, but we understand the risks that go with the job," said Schweitzer.

Neighbor Dan Haines heard the shots, but did not think much about them until he saw all the police activity.

"Bear season, deer season, this is the country. I mean there's a lot of game around here and it's a favorite activity of a lot of people and it's a good activity, and it's just unfortunate when people take it too far and shoot near houses or shoot at people," said Dan Haines of Madison Township.

"In light of what happened last week with WCO Grove, yes, we take these things very serious. We always did take them seriously, but it brings a great deal more weight in this particular situation," added Schweitzer.

Game commission officals said the officers Weiss allegedly fired shots near were not hurt.

A funeral will be held Sunday afternoon in Waynesboro for WCO David Grove.

Post your comments on Talkback 16 Online
Copyright © 2010, WNEP-TV

·
Registered
300 Posts
shootings

you are right there are some crazy people out there,they just had a warden shot in Utah,all i can say is watch your a$$ out there,and the aussie boys wonder why we carry guns in US.who in their right mind would shoot someone over a poaching violation :dontknow:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts