M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hearing a vibration not all the time but every now and then, and thought it was one of the hose clamps that hold the heat shields on. It's happened before and thought here we go again, not that it's a big deal but knew I needed to tighten one of them down. WELL anyway i'm following a friend thats driving his car at night to a place, i'd never been to and we could not talk to each other. And all of a sudden the 9 gets LOUDER, it blew out a baffel:eek: So I get another baffel, cause I can't fine the one that got BLOWN out! Go to put it on and the hole within the main pipe you put the screw threw IS GONE! It's honed right out like a prefect {U} if you will. So I just drilled another hole to put the screw threw, to hold the new baffel in place.
Moral of the story, don't wait to tighten up that screw! Yet that wasn't the screw I though was loose! But the one that was loose, worked on out like a cutting torch threw the main pipe! Odd really, I would have thought that little screw would have just fell out, and the baffel spit out. But the screw must still be in the baffel somewhere:dontknow:
So as Michael Jordon would say, you have been BREIFED:bigthumbsup: TIGHTEN YOUR SCREWS:nojoke:
TORQ.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Well, I guess in your case--you must TORQ them:joke:.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I put some blue loc-tite on mine. Hopefully they will stay in.

I was riding behind Lucky06 and his baffle blew out. We were on the interstate and I really didn't have anywhere to go. That sucker bounced up off the pavement and almost hit me in the head/helmet! :eek:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i'm not the only one, blowing baffels out?!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've blown out my baffles after eating 3 bean burritos at Taco Bell

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
TORQ,
remember that happened to bob on the way to new york on the 9-11 run it didn't hit anyone behind him glad cause it was me behind him not sure if it came out for the same reasons but should be something for guys with this exhaust to look for :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
V&H pipes

I'd have to put mine back "in" to blow them out!! :joke:

Thanks for the heads up though!!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Mine won't blow out either.:bigthumbsup:
Just ask the guys that ride behind me.:D:eek:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I was hearing a vibration not all the time but every now and then, and thought it was one of the hose clamps that hold the heat shields on. It's happened before and thought here we go again, not that it's a big deal but knew I needed to tighten one of them down. WELL anyway i'm following a friend thats driving his car at night to a place, i'd never been to and we could not talk to each other. And all of a sudden the 9 gets LOUDER, it blew out a baffel:eek: So I get another baffel, cause I can't fine the one that got BLOWN out! Go to put it on and the hole within the main pipe you put the screw threw IS GONE! It's honed right out like a prefect {U} if you will. So I just drilled another hole to put the screw threw, to hold the new baffel in place.
Moral of the story, don't wait to tighten up that screw! Yet that wasn't the screw I though was loose! But the one that was loose, worked on out like a cutting torch threw the main pipe! Odd really, I would have thought that little screw would have just fell out, and the baffel spit out. But the screw must still be in the baffel somewhere:dontknow:
So as Michael Jordon would say, you have been BREIFED:bigthumbsup: TIGHTEN YOUR SCREWS:nojoke:
TORQ.
Bob, that is why I am debaffled. I had them in and the night before my dyno appointment, bike got 1/2 as much louder. I was like "damn, bike sounds great tonight". I then looked and saw the baffle was gone and the pipe had broken where the screw was. So, being mechanically inclined, I just pulled the other baffle out and went and tuned it without :a20:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts