M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

I am knew to the forum. I have used it for much needed information in the past for my fathers M109R but, I always said I wasn't going to join until I got my own. Well this week I did 2007 M109R black, bone stock at the moment. 3800 miles on her. I have a lot of catching up to do, to catch my dad. Before I owned one I knew it was the bike I wanted so I did research on parts and ways to increase power and make it look good. Well I would share these details with dad and since he is GM retired of 40.5 years of service. He had the money and basically built the exact bike I wanted lol. His now has dyno'd at the rear wheel 126.1 hp and 121 ft lbs. tq. The dyno vid is enclosed in this link for proof sorry for the sound quality it was a older camera and my first time editing a video. So anyways catching him is going to be a challenge on the wallet. Now on to my question about the fuse block. The day I got the bike I got her insured, registered and plated before our first bout. The bike has been sitting mostly since 2009 only 300 miles on it. That's another story for a later date. I wasn't riding far just wanted to get her up to temperature. Everything seemed fine. When I came to a stop in a parking lot to answer a text the temp light came on aftet about 4 mins of idle. I shut her down immediately. Let it cool off. Then rode her home no problems again, in the driveway let her idle after about 15 mins of ride time to get to temp ambient temp was about 50 degrees. The light came back on, I pulled her in the garage and shut her down. Now I've researched low oil, bad relay, stuck, thermostat, water pump etc. However when I dove into last night I pulled open the fuse panel in front of the battery and there were only 5 fuses in it and the cover read 6 and the one that was missing said "Fan" right on it. I am just wanting to verify that there is supposed to be 6 fuses in the box a 15 amp for the fan. Also both reservoirs are empty and I could hear water boiling in the radiator after shut down for minute or so. If anyone has a pic of there fuse box I would love to see a post. I am going to pull my dads seat tonight and check his but, being american and addicted to social media I want answers NOW! lol. Any help is appreciated! Thanks Ya'll I look forward to progress!

Dyno vid:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
:welcome: to the forum.

You definitely should have a 15 amp fuse in there for the fan. Here's the breakdown of fuses and locations.

1. HEAD HI - 10 amp
2. HEAD LO - 10 amp
3. IGNITION - 15 amp
4. SIGNAL - 15 amp
5. FUEL - 10 amp
6. FAN - 15 amp

Nice bike and nice numbers from your Dad's bike too!

Edit: Link for pdf file of service manual, you might want this. Scroll down to where it says "Download Original PDF File", and it's about 78 megs.
http://www.pdf-archive.com/2012/08/...00-intruder-workshop-service-manual-download/

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I placed one of the spare 15 amp in that spot. I am flushing and refilling the cooling system tonight as well as changing the oil. I am using Klotz fully synthetic 10-40w and a standard suzuki filter. I am open for suggestions of other additives you guys have had luck with. Oil/Coolant/Fuel additives.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I hate it when those fuse just jump out of their sockets! :D

Welcome and Good Luck with bike..
and remember ... its always better to lose a minute in life than Life in a minute.. Ride safe..

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Before you do anything else to the bike I would contact the previous owner/dealer to find out why that fuse was missing! Fuses don't just disappear and being that it wasn't just blown and still in place I would be very very curious as to why it was removed! Something smells very fishy here.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I would first change and flush the radiator. Look to see what the condition of the antifreeze looks like. Then after flushing, refilling and bleeding the coolant. I would start it up and see if the fan kicks on. If the hi temp light comes on then I would def get a new thermostat and go from there. It is wierd that there wasnt a fuse in its place. I am wondering if the previous owner had something installed that he was using the power from that fuse and possibly removed it and forgot to put the fuse back. I have a TDE TRE and it ran to the 15A fuse for the signal though. Prev owner could of possibly did something similar to power something? 12v outlet, heater gear, not the smartest way but a possibility. If you can talk to the previous owner, like mentioned before, that would be best.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone. Onto the progress. I had already put a fuse in the slot for the fan last night. However I did not start the bike until tonight after the following. I jacked it up level pulled the tank and front frame cover. Drained the radiator, what coolant was left looked great. The. I drained the oil it didn't look bad and seemed to still have decent viscosity it was darker but not burnt. I replaced the filter and oil with klotz 10-40w fully synthetic. I refilled the radiator per Suzuki. Started her up and let her idle and omg get ready for it the freakjn fan kicked on like it was brand new as soon as it kicked on after 10 secs I shut her down. Let the bike cool. Rocked it back forth. Added coolant. Fired her back up. Idle. To temp fan kicked on. This time I ran it till the fan kicked off. Shut it down. Let cool. Filled again. Star again idled. This time I started to get some coolant back in the very bottom of my res. fan kicked on and then kicked off. I had someone crank the throttle about 4000rpm. Coolant level didn't jump or bubble. So I'm thinking I'm in the clear. I truly believe the previous owner was a complete jacka** and didn't deserve this majestic beast in the first place. Oil checked out great after multiple starts and when I say the bike is home stock. I mean nothing has been added or removed. Except my lonely fan fuse. I am going to keep in eye on everything for quite sometime till I feel comfortable just walking out and turning the key and taking off. Again thanks for all your input I really appreciate it and look forward to future correspondence with you all!

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
When you do the coolant, you want to make sure that its always got coolant in the res. If you dont and it cools down and continues to bleed the air out it could pull air in from the res. You then will have to go through the bleeding process over again and you would have to top it off as you ride. Look for the ketchup bottle technique when you are needing to add some coolant. Its the easiest and doesnt require you to remove anything. Glad it all worked out.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If you have all the plastic around the coolant reservoir off, you may consider tightening all the cooling hose clamps. I know that loose clamps are an issue with the bike and the clamps on my 2007 where loose.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,

Thanks again for your input. I took her for a 130 mile ride sunday. Didn't find any issues with cooling. When I got home i checked the antifreeze for oil. There was none. I then checked the oil for antifreeze and again none. Aside from metallic sound that is hit and miss in 2nd gear going on a left hand corner at low rpm ie turning at a turn light. Coming from the generator side of the bike. I didn't really notice any serious issues. My rear wheel hub side had a small amount of what looked and smelled like axle grease just around the edge? Concerns? Just axle grease? Has a new tire and didn't smell like gear oil. Also my throttle cable is almost out of adjustment. Bike rides fine where it is at, is it very involved to replace one. I know this a lot of things. I am just a perfectionist and with my rides(including my car) I can notice when a tire has less pressure than the rest. Just how I was raised and how I am. My equipment gets the best stuff or I don't buy it in the first place.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts