M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to see what everyone is using for fuse blocks and where your placing them on the 9, battery posts are starting to stack up. Pic's please.....

I am also considering using a ground block, just like one location to ground everything instead of all over the bike.

If you could also give the cost and where you purchased your fuse/ground blocks please..
Thanks,
Shane

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You can pick up an aux fuse box at most auto parts srores for about $5.

I have mine under the left side cover below the seat.

For ground blocks, you can go to home depot and pick up screw-down distribution terminals with anywhere from 6 to 18 slots ranging in price from $3 to $10. Ground that to the rear can where your battery main ground wire bolts on.

Jusr one note: do not ground anything directly to the battery. You can cause yourself long term problems.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I sodered all mine to a washer and set it under the tank bolt. grounds that is.my aux fuse block is 8 spots and fits in where the tool bag was.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the posts guys. Tigz, that is defenatley like the ones on the posts. Those would work perfect for the heated seats I have where I rarely have to use them and when I do I just have to plug them in without wiring the whole thing up every time.

Does anyone use a ground block for the negetive side of all of the eletrical hook ups, or do you mount each one to the frame or to the neg battery terminal?
Thanks again,
Shane

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the posts guys. Tigz, that is defenatley like the ones on the posts. Those would work perfect for the heated seats I have where I rarely have to use them and when I do I just have to plug them in without wiring the whole thing up every time.

Does anyone use a ground block for the negetive side of all of the eletrical hook ups, or do you mount each one to the frame or to the neg battery terminal?
Thanks again,
Shane
Here is what you want. A master ground block. :bigthumbsup:
http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-distribution/02207.htm

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got a fuse block from Napa, about $10 as I recall. Also put in a 30 amp relay so that the block is hot only when the key is turned on. Left side cover had PClll so put mine on the right side on an alum bracket. The rubber flap is just a piece of intertube folded over to keep majority of water off it from rear tire. For ground, found a bolt on the frame in front of the battery box and hooked everything up their.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I originally purchased the fuse block and ground assembly system that DLP offers. I looked like a very complete compact package. Upon receiving it , it appeared to be somewhat flimsy but I installed it anyway. I immediately starting having problems with My HID light kit . It kept flickering. I checked all the connections and found an intermittent connection on the back of the fuse block itself. I trashed the POS and bought from West Marine a very compact six post fuse block with ground strip. Absolutely no comparison. Very sturdy with plastic cover, labels, spare fuse holder and much more protected from the elements. I mounted it on the right side of the battery box. I am very happy with it at have had no issues with it for over a year. Click on this West Marine link.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10109&subdeptNum=10598&classNum=11287

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I got a fuse block from Napa, about $10 as I recall. Also put in a 30 amp relay so that the block is hot only when the key is turned on. Left side cover had PClll so put mine on the right side on an alum bracket. The rubber flap is just a piece of intertube folded over to keep majority of water off it from rear tire. For ground, found a bolt on the frame in front of the battery box and hooked everything up their.
I have that same one and it cost me $15. But it has room for 6 fuses and is fairly compact.

Here is the best one that I have found (I was impatient and didn't want to wait for shipping) Very nice unit that is about as compact as they get. The built in ground bus makes it very tempting.

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I have that same one and it cost me $15. But it has room for 6 fuses and is fairly compact.

Here is the best one that I have found (I was impatient and didn't want to wait for shipping) Very nice unit that is about as compact as they get. The built in ground bus makes it very tempting.

That's a sweet unit, Everything including a 30 amp relay. Very tidey,,,,,,,,,,

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts

That is a really well designed unit. Built in ground block, built in relay, you can choose whether to use each connection as switched or unswitched, and it's small. And screw connectors instead of plug in terminals, so no soldering and a better connection. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

The only thing I don't like is the 10 amp limit. I don't think that would handle a Stebel, and would be marginal on a HID light.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is a really well designed unit. Built in ground block, built in relay, you can choose whether to use each connection as switched or unswitched, and it's small. And screw connectors instead of plug in terminals, so no soldering and a better connection. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

The only thing I don't like is the 10 amp limit. I don't think that would handle a Stebel, and would be marginal on a HID light.
I guess I should say what I want to plug into the unit.
6K HID - currently on bike
Stebel Horn - currently on bike
Corbin Heated seats - currently on bike
LED light set - future
Arnott Air Ride w/ handlebar mounted switch - future

** I am by no means an electrician, dont know what fuse/ground block would be required to run the above items. Don't know what type of amperage/current draw the system requires and what system would be able to handle all of the items? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I guess I should say what I want to plug into the unit.
6K HID - currently on bike
Stebel Horn - currently on bike
Corbin Heated seats - currently on bike
LED light set - future
Arnott Air Ride w/ handlebar mounted switch - future

** I am by no means an electrician, dont know what fuse/ground block would be required to run the above items. Don't know what type of amperage/current draw the system requires and what system would be able to handle all of the items? Any other suggestions?
First off fuse blocks are not mandatory but they make wiring in multiple mods much easier and trouble free than running individual wires for each separate item.

If you do want to run a fuse block to make your life easier..........

As long as a relay is used on the high amperage items there shouldn't be a problem with having all of your mods wired into one fuse block. The biggest thing to keep in mind is using quality 10 or even 8 gauge wire for the 12v and ground.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First off fuse blocks are not mandatory but they make wiring in multiple mods much easier and trouble free than running individual wires for each separate item.

If you do want to run a fuse block to make your life easier..........

As long as a relay is used on the high amperage items there shouldn't be a problem with having all of your mods wired into one fuse block. The biggest thing to keep in mind is using quality 10 or even 8 gauge wire for the 12v and ground.
Thanks JD,
I am really leaning towards this one and want to get it all lined up and ready when the air ride comes in.
Thanks again Bro,
Shane

·
Registered
961 Posts

Hey Zoom,

I'm interested in this unit, you don't think it will handle Stebel? I'll check on the amperage for my HID. That unit is cool!!! Thanks

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hey Zoom,

I'm interested in this unit, you don't think it will handle Stebel? I'll check on the amperage for my HID. That unit is cool!!! Thanks
I just checked the HID and Stebel is 20 amp. Oh MAN!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts