M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home furnace didn't work overnight, and it was pretty cold in the house in the morning. I called a local company, and got an appointment.
So I took off the cover and noticed the ignitor wasn't glowing during the start up. So I used my BBQ lighter, and recycled it, and it fired right up.
So I was pretty sure I had found the problem, but my wife wanted an "expert" to look at it.
So the guy shows up and tells me it's the ignitor, and he'll have to order it. $95 for the service call. But.....when he returns with the part, there won't be another service charge.
So I look. up the part on line, $33 plus shipping. Overnight is $50. Hmm.
They call me later and tell me they will have the part in the am, $84. OK, now the kicker, it's $85 more to install it, 2 screws and plug it in! What was the $95 for, diagnostic. Oh.
So today the guy shows up, and I tell him just give me the part for $84, and I'll install it myself, I already took out the old one in less than 5 minutes. He gets all huffy, and I tell him, look, it's a $33 part, you already marked it up $51. So he tells me"order it online then". Fine I say, and go back in the house. 5 minutes later he rings the door bell, and says the office told him the part's not returnable, so he'll sell it to me, but no warranty. I paid for it.............now I'm thinking I could have asked for a discount, but it's too late. I "installed" it, and my heater fired right up.
I just think that $95 for a service call that doesn't include any labor is a rip off. I didn't think to ask that, and they didn't make a point to tell me up front. I won't use them again.
So I still feel ripped off, but not a bad as if I paid $85 more. BTW, thats for 30 minutes, their hourly rate is $170:eek:
Next time I'm just using furnaceparts.com. If I can fix and mod my bike, I can fix my furnace. I feel better now . If this is too boring to read, just skip it.

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
Sadly, it's like that everywhere. Either pay, or you don't.

·
Registered
791 Posts
sounds all too familiar. Most ppl don't do what you did either. ...and you're right, most who can turn a wrench can do most around the house fixes :bigthumbsup:

Power to the people! :super:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
why is the wife providing you guidance on furnace repairs? Tell her you'll fix it, end of discussion. Your wife should trust your judgement, unless you have a history of botched repairs:joke::D

·
Banned
408 Posts
My ex brother in law has his own plumbing & heating business & ripped people off all the time. The amazing part? His was a born again christian who believed in love for all etc but then ripped people off.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Had the same thing, but the repairman told me to first try using a metal file on the ignitor rod ends. He said they get deposits on them and they can't ignite, or 'spark'. So I used some course sand paper and got the 2 rods clean down to the metal. Started right up after that and have never had an issue since.

Do you still have the old ignitor rod? Might want to clean it up and test it...might have a refund if it was still working in the first place.

Dave

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
You should do what I do. I plow my furnace guys driveway at a discount and he cleans and services my furnace. I just pay for parts. Came in handy Christmas Day 4 years ago. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
940 Posts
You should do what I do. I plow my furnace guys driveway at a discount and he cleans and services my furnace. I just pay for parts. Came in handy Christmas Day 4 years ago. :bigthumbsup:
My neighbor replaced my entire unit on a cold Sunday last Jan. for $1200.00 including labor.............He got the check and a gift certificate to the steak house and I still feel like I owe him.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I have had that happen, I bought a heat pump system for the old house Paid $1650 for it, and had a company come out to just fab one little piece of sheet metal and sweat the 2 copper lines is all and charge the system, I did all the install, ran all the copper.

They didn't have much to do. 2 guys spent 3 hours, and the one new guy did all the work but sweat the 2 copper lines. The ol timer from the company did that. The WHOLE rest of the time the ol guy was on his cell phone talking trading stocks with his broker,,,,,,,,,,,,,That POS charged me $1800 for those 3 hours and charged me $180 was a part I didn't need and charged me for a whole pack of zip ties,

He used 3 of them and when I saw on the bill $35 for parts I asked him WTF they were. That's when he told me if they open a pack of anything they charge the customer for the whole pack, I wonder how many places they go and charge the customer for the same pack of zip ties over and over until they open a new one,

They got a real good piece of my mind, and everyone i talk to knows the story as well....... A bunch of scammers.....

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
I'm more surprised that you need a furnace in California. I thought it was warm and you guys rode there all the time? :D

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I have had that happen, I bought a heat pump system for the old house Paid $1650 for it, and had a company come out to just fab one little piece of sheet metal and sweat the 2 copper lines is all and charge the system, I did all the install, ran all the copper.

They didn't have much to do. 2 guys spent 3 hours, and the one new guy did all the work but sweat the 2 copper lines. The ol timer from the company did that. The WHOLE rest of the time the ol guy was on his cell phone talking trading stocks with his broker,,,,,,,,,,,,,That POS charged me $1800 for those 3 hours and charged me $180 was a part I didn't need and charged me for a whole pack of zip ties,

He used 3 of them and when I saw on the bill $35 for parts I asked him WTF they were. That's when he told me if they open a pack of anything they charge the customer for the whole pack, I wonder how many places they go and charge the customer for the same pack of zip ties over and over until they open a new one,

They got a real good piece of my mind, and everyone i talk to knows the story as well....... A bunch of scammers.....
Dammmmmmmmm! my whole system . take out , install 93+ and fab new sheet metal was 2000 was a installer doing Night/weekend work

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Weather sissys

I'm more surprised that you need a furnace in California. I thought it was warm and you guys rode there all the time? :D
I know we're weather sissys. When it gets down to 56 degrees we act like we're in Siberia. It's actually been in the forties over night.........Brrr.
I did ride my bike yesterday if that helps.:D
It's too bad so many others have been ripped off by home repair people. It seems like an honest days work at a fair price is getting scarce. I still can't believe the guy got pissy because I refused to pay $85 to plug in something and "install" 2 sheet metal screws. I forgot to tell him I've already taught my almost 4 year old grandson how to use a screwdriver. He even knows a flat head from a Phillips and lefty loosey, righty tighty!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
That is definitely a rip off. My friend works for an hvac company. they tell you up front there is a diagnostic charge. However, if it is a simple fix, and they do mark up the product, they will come back out and include the labor in the first service call charge.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Car mechanics are pretty notorious rip-off kings also.

Not saying all are, but its an easy deal to rip off someone that has car troubles, that is in a bind.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Dammmmmmmmm! my whole system . take out , install 93+ and fab new sheet metal was 2000 was a installer doing Night/weekend work
LOL Nope, Back then Bellingham WA was a breeding place for scam and mega inflated real estate, I guess they figured the area wasn't onto the scams people play. I dint think they are is business anymore, They were one of the biggest there also.,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your furnace has just died in sub-zero temperatures or your air conditioner has gone kaput on a sweltering day, you'll probably be glad to hire the first repairman who can come to your house that day. But, if you're planning a major or costly upgrade to your home's heating, air conditioning or air ducts, it's worth the time to research and interview several companies before hiring one. Any professional that works in your home should carry liability insurance to protect the homeowner in the case of accidental damage or injury.If you're hiring a company for maintenance or having new equipment installed, enrolling in a service company's service contract program may give you added peace of mind. Service contracts are just that, a contract that ensures your HVAC system is serviced regularly by the company.While having your equipment professionally maintained on a regular basis may extend the useful lifespan and improve its efficiency, as with any contract, make sure you know what you're paying for.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If your furnace has just died in sub-zero temperatures or your air conditioner has gone kaput on a sweltering day, you'll probably be glad to hire the first repairman who can come to your house that day. But, if you're planning a major or costly upgrade to your home's heating, air conditioning or air ducts, it's worth the time to research and interview several companies before hiring one. Any professional that works in your home should carry liability insurance to protect the homeowner in the case of accidental damage or injury.If you're hiring a company for maintenance or having new equipment installed, enrolling in a service company's service contract program may give you added peace of mind. Service contracts are just that, a contract that ensures your HVAC system is serviced regularly by the company.While having your equipment professionally maintained on a regular basis may extend the useful lifespan and improve its efficiency, as with any contract, make sure you know what you're paying for.
You realize this is a post from 2011?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts