M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was organizing my home garage and had my bike pulled out. This guy pulls up and sees the rune and can't believe it. I told it was a Honda and he said "WOW! I guess Honda had to do something to keep up with Harley"

I had to laugh! I don't care what people ride and I love any great looking bike but it sure is funny that most people actually think that Harley's are the best thing on the road. I explained that everyone one of my bikes would eat up a Harley and that it is Harley who is now trying to keep up with the imports.

On a similar note I had my bike out at Quaker Steak and Lube Wed. for bike night. This was the first time I had it there for bike night since doing the new paint. I won their bike show last week and the chose my bike as 1 of the 3 they pulled up for bike of the night. There were around 2000 bikes there so that parts was very cool.

Now the frustrating part. The other 2 were Harley's 1 of them was a 25 year old shovel or pan head I can't remember which and don't know the models. This was a lady owned clean all stock bike. They other was an ape hanger soft tail.

It came down to my vtx and the ladies bike. They let the crowd cheer and it kept coming up a tie. I heard one guy yell out that it takes more than just paint and the Harley should win. They have no idea how many hours have gone into my x and I thought the guy had to be out of his mind.

Needless to say they gave 1st place to the harley. When we pulled the bikes off the patio not one person went over to look at the harley but my bike was surrounded with people. I had more than 1 person tell me they liked my bike better but had to cheer for the other bike because it was a harley.

·
Registered
629 Posts
:dontknow: Go to show how most people are prone to follow trend. :( Thats what makes the few who are brave enough to go their own way and stay true to themselves so special. :bigthumbsup:
Love all your paint work, top quality and most important...Original and not trend. :#1:

·
Registered
158 Posts
:edit: that isn't right... very sorry to hear, its amazing but it seems to happen everywhere, even in Washington where they seem cool, the Harley riders (a lot of them, not the good ones) will not let you tag along and will not let you ride with them. I'm lucky, it seems I'm a bit intimidating so they don't talk to me but if I ask to ride with there group I'm always rejected and sometimes there are a few words spoken that aren't all that nice. I walk away and pretend that I like there bike but deep down I'm thinking :evil: "I can't ride with you because you know I'll smoke you... then you might have to agree that this bike is a stable monster that kills anything on your floor" (- a good GW driver, after reading Lamont's story I had to put that in)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hey Robert, let me know when you are entering the next contest. I can 2 finger whistle pretty much louder than anyone I know and I have swayed enough judges with that whistle to win people contests.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hear ya man. I have a friend that has a Harley softtail. He was actually stating that he could take my 954RR, not much I could say without insulting him so I just laugh. Some people are just clueless.

A couple of weekends ago i was at a harley shop with him, I was on the 109. Next to a sales guy he said "hey you should trade that 109 on this fatboy" My reply to him and the sales guy...."hey bring it outside, if it beats me in a drag race I'll write the check today"...they both hung their heads and walked away :bigthumbsup:

sh

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
thats funny.To think that the 109 OR the Rune are trying to look like HD is completely crazy.The HD has its own look and will never bend enough from it to compete with the looks of the 109s and Runes.These two are very distinct.Every HD and even the Hondas(the big cruisers,Yamaha big cruisers and the Suzuki cruisers)all have the same basic look.Harley sells way too many bikes to people who like the traditional cruiser look to change their ways.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
once a symbol for freedom, harley has long since jumped the shark. those lemmings should be ashamed of themselves. there's nothing more "american" than buying a superior product for a cheaper price, doubt they'll ever understand that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey Heator, have you told your buddy to try some of his own medicine and trade in his Harley for the 109?? I bet he doesn't give you the same option that you gave him. LOL Ride Hard & Ride Proud!!! :bigthumbsup: :D

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
sorry that they can't give props to a bike that deserves to win, rather than "drinking the kool-aid"

..on a side note, i'm guessing you really like red/burgundy since 4 out of 4 of your bikes are red

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
heators954 said:
I hear ya man. I have a friend that has a Harley softtail. He was actually stating that he could take my 954RR, not much I could say without insulting him so I just laugh. Some people are just clueless.

A couple of weekends ago i was at a harley shop with him, I was on the 109. Next to a sales guy he said "hey you should trade that 109 on this fatboy" My reply to him and the sales guy...."hey bring it outside, if it beats me in a drag race I'll write the check today"...they both hung their heads and walked away :bigthumbsup:

sh
That is a good one I will have to try that when the new Harley Dealer in Tampa has the grand opening on the 11th.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well at least you got to enter your bike in "their class"! :D Around here(Mid-West) they have a Metric class,for all "non Harley bikes". They don't want to compete with the Metrics,the same thing goes on at our local drag strips too! They had a "run what ya brung" day,and the bikes were all run by CC's. There was a bunch of Harley riders,cheering for their buddy on a 1200 Sportster. My buddy had an old Honda Interceptor,which was 1000cc's and he pulled up to the staging line by the Sportster. The Harley rider started complaining to the lineman,but the lineman told him to stage or get off the track. It wasn't even a race,what a joke! Later my buddy said "Man I'm glad the return lane didn't run by the spectator stands,I would have got hit by a bunch of beer cans"! After he put the Harley on the trailer,they all left. Steve's next run was against a Ninja,then HE went to the trailer,but we stayed and had a good time! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey VTXOAK,

Was the owner of the HD a hottie? Maybe you needed a little make-up of your own.. :D :joke: :joke:

Dude, no HD would win in my mind. That X is Saaweeeet!!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
brbluetele said:
Hey VTXOAK,

Was the owner of the HD a hottie? Maybe you needed a little make-up of your own.. :D :joke: :joke:

Dude, no HD would win in my mind. That X is Saaweeeet!!
The Harley was clean but totally stock and the lady was around 45. I think it is the crowd there. I have had 3 bikes up for bike of the night. The 109 was selected the first time I took it up with the paint job that is in my sig. I lost that night to a sportster? Odly enough my iron horse chopper was beaten of all things by a very tricked out hyabusa.

·
Registered
386 Posts
vtxoak said:
I was organizing my home garage and had my bike pulled out. This guy pulls up and sees the rune and can't believe it. I told it was a Honda and he said "WOW! I guess Honda had to do something to keep up with Harley"

I had to laugh! I don't care what people ride and I love any great looking bike but it sure is funny that most people actually think that Harley's are the best thing on the road. I explained that everyone one of my bikes would eat up a Harley and that it is Harley who is now trying to keep up with the imports.

On a similar note I had my bike out at Quaker Steak and Lube Wed. for bike night. This was the first time I had it there for bike night since doing the new paint. I won their bike show last week and the chose my bike as 1 of the 3 they pulled up for bike of the night. There were around 2000 bikes there so that parts was very cool.

Now the frustrating part. The other 2 were Harley's 1 of them was a 25 year old shovel or pan head I can't remember which and don't know the models. This was a lady owned clean all stock bike. They other was an ape hanger soft tail.

It came down to my vtx and the ladies bike. They let the crowd cheer and it kept coming up a tie. I heard one guy yell out that it takes more than just paint and the Harley should win. They have no idea how many hours have gone into my x and I thought the guy had to be out of his mind.

Needless to say they gave 1st place to the harley. When we pulled the bikes off the patio not one person went over to look at the harley but my bike was surrounded with people. I had more than 1 person tell me they liked my bike better but had to cheer for the other bike because it was a harley.
Nice collection man! I fell in love with the rune as soon as I saw it. Like alot of bikes, I'd like to have one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts