M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About how far do you have to go when you get the fuel light flashing and 1 bar left on the gauge....with that light flashing i just stop at the first station and refuel...wanted to get some feedback!!!!

DA BOSS

·
Registered
310 Posts
Once the light starts flashing you have about 20 or so miles before the light stays on all the time. I've gone maybe 10 or so miles with the light on steady but I don't do that very often. i just usually fill up around 130 to 140 miles per tank.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Once the light starts flashing you have about 20 or so miles before the light stays on all the time.
:agree: However mine usually doesn't start blinking until around 165miles on the tank & I fill up by 180miles. I've always wanted to ride all the way until it runs out just to see how many miles I could go............but not enough to actually try it. :joke:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have went 200 miles on a tank before, but thats all highway miles, that being said I would not try to go much farther than 20 miles after the light stays on solid.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
When the light starts flashing, the rule of thumb is that you have a gallon of fuel left. Do if you get 40 mpg, just get gas before 40 miles accure. :bigthumbsup: I fuel up around 160 miles in the tank.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fuel

So the light flashes and then goes solid....thanks for the feedback!!!

DA BOSS

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Any one know if any damage occurs to the fuel injector if you do run it empty?

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Although I have only run about 4 tanks since buying it, It seems to start flashing around 140 miles. Then I start looking for gas

Now that I have the fi2000 we'll see if that changes

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Although I have only run about 4 tanks since buying it, It seems to start flashing around 140 miles. Then I start looking for gas

Now that I have the fi2000 we'll see if that changes
If you richened the mixture, it will get worse.

The best I got was 192, still had one bar showing and light blinking. I have never let it get to where the light goes steady. But we must remember that the speedo on these beasts is about 10% optimistic, so that 192 becomes 173 after making the correction.

My wife was riding her 06 M50 at the same time, and her odometer showed 184. So the M50 splits the difference. Once I put the Dunlop 250 on, my bike read less than hers for awhile, due to its taller profile. But now that it has worn down about half, it reads more than hers once again.

M50 reads speed off front wheel, M109 reads off the rear.

I suspect the Metzeler 280 and 300 puts it to darn near perfect for awhile.

So take those mileages with a LARGE grain of salt. Sorry for throwing a wrench in the gears.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
So the light flashes and then goes solid....thanks for the feedback!!!

DA BOSS
Why do you think the light will flash it might be to keep you from being stuck whe3n it starts just fill it up or any time around 2-3 bars thats the only rule of thumb.

G

·
If you richened the mixture, it will get worse.

The best I got was 192, still had one bar showing and light blinking. I have never let it get to where the light goes steady. But we must remember that the speedo on these beasts is about 10% optimistic, so that 192 becomes 173 after making the correction.

My wife was riding her 06 M50 at the same time, and her odometer showed 184. So the M50 splits the difference. Once I put the Dunlop 250 on, my bike read less than hers for awhile, due to its taller profile. But now that it has worn down about half, it reads more than hers once again.

M50 reads speed off front wheel, M109 reads off the rear.

I suspect the Metzeler 280 and 300 puts it to darn near perfect for awhile.

So take those mileages with a LARGE grain of salt. Sorry for throwing a wrench in the gears.
The 260 is the tallest. Even on a stock rim. The 280 is a lower profile 35 series. The 300 on a 10" is shorter too.

Any one know if any damage occurs to the fuel injector if you do run it empty?
I have run mine dry once without any thing going wrong. (see below)
:agree: However mine usually doesn't start blinking until around 165miles on the tank & I fill up by 180miles. I've always wanted to ride all the way until it runs out just to see how many miles I could go............but not enough to actually try it. :joke:
I've done it. I went 45 mi from first blink and it died at the end of an off ramp. I jiggled the bike around with the key on and the pump picked up gas and stopped spinnig wildly. You can here it whirring away. It started and I made it 1/2 a block to a station and it died again about 10 ft from the pump.

But I get really good gas mileage so I wouldn't say the everyone could go that far. I regularly go 220 to 230 mi between fillups. I went 240 mi while putting around with the Norcal bunch in Yosemite, so I have witnesses. And that's with the more acurate taller 260 rear tire.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The 260 is the tallest. Even on a stock rim. The 280 is a lower profile 35 series. The 300 on a 10" is shorter too.

I have run mine dry once without any thing going wrong. (see below)

I've done it. I went 45 mi from first blink and it died at the end of an off ramp. I jiggled the bike around with the key on and the pump picked up gas and stopped spinnig wildly. You can here it whirring away. It started and I made it 1/2 a block to a station and it died again about 10 ft from the pump.

But I get really good gas mileage so I wouldn't say the everyone could go that far. I regularly go 220 to 230 mi between fillups. I went 240 mi while putting around with the Norcal bunch in Yosemite, so I have witnesses. And that's with the more acurate taller 260 rear tire.
Wow! 220-230 between fill ups, the most I have ever got was maybe 180-190, lately I get about 140 when the light start flashing.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Wow! 220-230 between fill ups, the most I have ever got was maybe 180-190, lately I get about 140 when the light start flashing.
That is about when mine comes on. We must like twisting our throttle a little more. :evil::evil:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I regularly go 220 to 230 mi between fillups. I went 240 mi while putting around with the Norcal bunch in Yosemite, so I have witnesses. And that's with the more acurate taller 260 rear tire.
Crickey! Your the King of fuel economy sir! What setup are you running?

G

·
It's basically stock. I've got the Holley?edlebrock air cleaner mod to bring in cool air with less restriction. I added a TRE, and I run Amsoil 10/40 and Synthetic gear oil in the dif. I keep my Metzlers at 42/44.

Some of it is riding technique too. When I want to get the most out of a tank, or when I'm just putting with a slow group, I accelerate lighly and shift early, anticipate stops and get off the gas as soon as I can. If I get on it hard and gas it alot of course the mileage drops but I almost always get 170 to 180 mi before the light comes on usually more. The worst mileage I've gotten is 38 mpg. And that was just flogging it, racing around with some harleys. And of course getting better mileage than them while kicking their Azz.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I need to try to be more conservative and see how that works. I will start Monday:D:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts