M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't own a 109R yet, but from all indications it sure sounds like a winner. I am disappointed that Suzuki chose not to clean this seam up. How much more would it have cost them to make this tank seamless?

Is there some trim or something that could possible hide this?

Thanks!

Bryan Miller
backinthesaddle
 

·
M109Riders Founder
Joined
·
8,014 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
Don't own a 109R yet, but from all indications it sure sounds like a winner. I am disappointed that Suzuki chose not to clean this seam up. How much more would it have cost them to make this tank seamless?

Is there some trim or something that could possible hide this?

Thanks!

Bryan Miller
backinthesaddle
That's one of the BIG things that I don't like about this bike. That has always been an issue with me on the VTX and the 109. The VTX now comes smooth but I had one of the first ones and just body filled to the seem. Makes it look much nicer. Wish Suzuki would have done that but then the bike woud have been near perfect. ;)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
I agree...I look at mine (silver) and can't help but to think how cleaner and fit it would look...all the chrome down plays the seam as there is soooo much more to look at. I'd bet the 2007 model you'll see that tweek . But I wouldn't wait to buy it because of that....It's a minor quibble to me.

I thought about putting that black trimming on it...simular to the the stuff they use for autos door edge guard . It may make it look "smother" as that seam
is kinda hard looking as the bike is smooth and flowing.

Just a thought..... :) :)
 

·
M109Riders Founder
Joined
·
8,014 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
I agree...I look at mine (silver) and can't help but to think how cleaner and fit it would look...all the chrome down plays the seam as there is soooo much more to look at. I'd bet the 2007 model you'll see that tweek . But I wouldn't wait to buy it because of that....It's a minor quibble to me.

I thought about putting that black trimming on it...simular to the the stuff they use for autos door edge guard . It may make it look "smother" as that seam
is kinda hard looking as the bike is smooth and flowing.

Just a thought..... :) :)
Don't do it, that can lead to excessive tank trim syndrome. :yikes:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
I agree...I look at mine (silver) and can't help but to think how cleaner and fit it would look...all the chrome down plays the seam as there is soooo much more to look at. I'd bet the 2007 model you'll see that tweek . But I wouldn't wait to buy it because of that....It's a minor quibble to me.

I thought about putting that black trimming on it...simular to the the stuff they use for autos door edge guard . It may make it look "smother" as that seam
is kinda hard looking as the bike is smooth and flowing.

Just a thought..... :) :)
Folks: Like Lamonster I previously had a 02 1800 C and one of the first things I did was cover the tank seam edge with door edge chrome which slipped over the seam edge. This stuff would come loose at the ends. I finally replaced it with a product from TRIMBRITE (part # T3605C) which I purchased at PEP Boys. It is 3/8 inches wide with commercial 3M adhesive tape applied to the back. It's easy to install and stays in place. Although I would have preferred to have a seamless tank I chose to install the TRIMBRITE and avoid performing body work on the tank to hide the seam. There are pro's and con's to this.......I guess it comes down to individual choice......in my case the chrome was easy to install and improves the appearance of the tank IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Lamonster said:
It's the worst case I've ever seen too. :eek:

would that be the very definition of the word gaudy? I mean, look at that neck rest.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
Don't own a 109R yet, but from all indications it sure sounds like a winner. I am disappointed that Suzuki chose not to clean this seam up. How much more would it have cost them to make this tank seamless?

Is there some trim or something that could possible hide this?

Thanks!

Bryan Miller
backinthesaddle
I'm taking my bike in to have it painted next week, Candy Black Cherry! :eek:)
They quoted me about $300 to roll the tank seam underneath, plus $1000 for the paint, so $1300 OTD. I'll post pics when it's done.

Does anyone know how to go about removing the gas tank from this bike? I'm gonna R&R all the painted parts for painting so any help would be appreciated. TIA!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
M109Rider said:
I'm taking my bike in to have it painted next week, Candy Black Cherry! :eek:)
They quoted me about $300 to roll the tank seam underneath, plus $1000 for the paint, so $1300 OTD. I'll post pics when it's done.

Does anyone know how to go about removing the gas tank from this bike? I'm gonna R&R all the painted parts for painting so any help would be appreciated. TIA!!
Check the Tech How To.....there is a post on removing the tank.
 
G

·
Someone earlier had mentioned using automotive chrome trim for the tank seam under the tank. I played with that and truthfully I am pleased with the look. I am not going to spend the money to fill it or have it rolled, it does not bother me that much. Every other bike I have owned has had the same thing. The chrome on the silver looks pretty good. It was easy to put on and not expensive. Is holding on well and does not look cheap IMO. I started it from under the neck trim and ran it to under the side molding so it flows well. Took about 15 minutes total. Has not come loose and I did it on a warm day so it bent very well. Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Bruno said:
Someone earlier had mentioned using automotive chrome trim for the tank seam under the tank. I played with that and truthfully I am pleased with the look. I am not going to spend the money to fill it or have it rolled, it does not bother me that much. Every other bike I have owned has had the same thing. The chrome on the silver looks pretty good. It was easy to put on and not expensive. Is holding on well and does not look cheap IMO. I started it from under the neck trim and ran it to under the side molding so it flows well. Took about 15 minutes total. Has not come loose and I did it on a warm day so it bent very well. Just a thought.
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Did the same thing and I'm happy with the results!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,103 Posts
I have used the trim on my ZRX 11's tank too and it also gives some protection to the tank when you have to set it down on something. :bigthumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top